Subject: Geek of the Week #345 - bobpony (Bob Pony) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time again for a new next Geek of the Week!

My selection is a person who has made a big splash in the BGG thrift pond in a fairly short time. Although he has been a member for less than a year, he already has a Golden Meeple and is a Thrift King's Counsellor. He's fulfilled many requests on the We're still thrifting for you in 2012! geeklist and is a frequent contributor to the weekly Thrift Store/ Bargain Finds list.

So for his generosity in Thrift Redistribution and sharing the spoils of the San Jose thriftmouth and Bob's Magical Flea, I present to you
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Where to start? Denials that I’m worthy? Feelings of insignificance compared to those that have been honored before me? Or just copious thank you’s for being nominated?

All of the above I think.

I’m new to the geek. I just joined in August. Yep, less than a year ago. So how in the world does a noob get nominated for GOTW? Just by participating, being nice, and being considerate I think (hope). Being someone who ‘plays nice with others’. No great secret there, eh? But putting it into practice isn’t always easy. I try to always remember that people are much more important than things, and board games, as much as we love them, are just things. It’s the people here that matter, that’s what ties this BGG thing together.

So I participate a lot, particularly in the thrifting guild. I left my job last year, and haven’t landed my next one yet, so I have less money but lots of free time to thrift. Which I’m sure drives the other thrifters in my area nuts. That’ll change someday, and I’ll be back behind a desk wishing I had time to roam the flea markets or haunt the thrift stores. But for now I’ve been able to build up a very large collection, full of really great games, on a very small budget. Now to find the time to play everything I own!

There are two groups here in the South Bay (I’m in San Jose, California) that I game with regularly. I’m always looking for more people to play with, if you’re in the area give me a shout. I’ve been to one Bay Area Games Day, and need to make it to more. And lately I’ve been getting curious again about RPG’s – I haven’t played Dungeons and Dragons since the late 70’s and I wonder how all of that has evolved. I just heard a podcast about Mouse Guard. Mice with swords fighting snakes and weasels…I’m intrigued.

I like lots of different types of games, but the two classes I shy away from are abstracts and war games. I love theme in a game, especially monsters and aliens. Giant monsters crushing London? That’s for me. I don’t need it to be too ‘thinky’ or have ‘perfect information’ – I was not a chess player growing up. My early recollections of my favorite games would include playing Winnie the Pooh with my mom (hence my avatar), Which Witch (I love Halloween and spooky stuff), and never-ending, boring, Monopoly family game nights (my brother always picked this one and I dreaded it – he crushed us). And Euchre. Boy we played a lot of Euchre.

Growing up I wanted to be a video game programmer. David Crane, Steve Cartwright, Warren Robinett. It fascinated me that one guy could create something like that. Nowadays huge teams of people make video games. But board games…they can still be solo/small team designed. I’ve toyed with some ideas, at some point I may push forward and actually prototype something. I’m sure the geek will provide a wealth of information on how to do that as well.

Back to people vs. things. I give away games when I can. The ‘Thrifting for You’ list is a terrific list – visit it and offer up a game to someone if you haven’t yet. It’s not a list about getting free stuff, it’s a list about helping each other out. I happen to live in an area that has lots of great games at the thrifts. Redistributing it to others here on the geek is a simple thing to do. I don’t give away everything I come across; trading some of it is another way to grow my collection. And selling – my wife really likes that this is a self-funding hobby. But I give away what I can. Better a game should be played by someone out there than having it sitting in my garage!

So thank you again for this honor. It’s a great community and I appreciate being a part of it!

Poll
I earned a drivers license for the General Motors Proving Ground, and have been around the top lane of the Circle Track.
I was the fourth employee at TiVo, and have a dozen or so patents in TV technologies.
I spent a year in Alaska, and was part of the support team for the 1982 Iditarod.
      61 answers
Poll created by JustPeachy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Grats Bob!

I only have one question for these types of things

Do you LOVE Marmite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played RPG's and if yes, which ones?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site? Do you contribute?
- Have you ever visited the VGG side of the site? Do you contribute?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
big congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob! cool

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello Acme... Two Words - Product Liability!!
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Thrifter and another great choice for GOTW! Way to go Bob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoopy congratulations Bob, enjoy your week. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Bob!

Have a fantastic week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super hoopy congrats Bob and hope you have a fun week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Congratulations meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Bob! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfro wrote:
Grats Bob!

I only have one question for these types of things

Do you LOVE Marmite?

Thanks J Fro!

I must admit, I've never had the pleasure of trying Marmite. I can't quite recall what it is, but I want to say some English breakfast spread made with meat? I need a basic introduction to Marmite - what should I expect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I forget - Thank you Peachy! What a nice honor!

I have been loitering around the thrifting halls since joining BGG, looking forward to meeting more of the people here. It's a great community.

I am on call for jury duty this week, and they don't allow phones/computers in the courthouse. So if I get called in I'll be offline during the days and my posts here will become a little spotty. We'll see what happens.

Looking forward to the week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob!

In the words of Richard from Looking for Group -

For Pony!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammer Man
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob!!!!!

Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.

Hi Barad, let's see...

Yep, I've played an RPG. Dungeons and Dragons back in the late 70's/early 80's with my younger brother and a couple of friends. We were all maybe fifteen years old. It looks like that was first edition AD&D? I know we had this book:

I remember I had a dwarf fighter named Harmonthep (name taken from the glossary at the back of Dune), and we all took turns creating our own dungeons for the rest of the team to go through. I'd spend lots of hours putting together a map and notebook outlining everything in the dungeon, only to have my brother find simple ways to skip half the traps and get to the end. Arrrrggh. I wish I had those handcrafted dungeon notebooks today, but mom threw them out and garage sale'd all the DnD stuff when we went to college I think.

I mentioned in my intro that I'm curious about trying an RPG again. I just listened to the Durham3 podcast where they played Mouse Guard. Sounds like great fun, I just need to find a local group to play with! I'd be a total noob though.

I have been over to that side of the world. As a thrifter I sometimes find RPG stuff, and I have a hard time passing it by. So every once in a while I'm over there trying to figure out exactly what it is I've picked up, and whether there's someone on the RPG side that would like to have it. So it's mostly looking stuff up there and posting to the weekly RPG Finds list.

I haven't been to VGG, but I know a lot about video games from the 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision era. I used to collect that stuff, back in the late 80's and early 90's when it was super easy to find at garage sales and thrifts. I had a huge collection of carts and systems (I was sitting in the high 400's for unique 2600 carts). At the time one of the guys I worked with had just started a website called Atari Age, and I ended up selling my entire collection to him. It had just gotten too large, classic carts were becoming much more difficult to find, and I had a new family to focus my spare time on. The money from that sale went into my daughter's college fund, which she's now spending at Berkeley. Wow time flies!

My biggest thrift find back then was a huge stash of Intellivision stuff, including a prototype game called Yogi's Frustration. I sent an article about it in to a fanzine called Digital Press (this was before web browsing and Google, when information came in the mail on stapled pieces of paper. lol). Eventually the old Intellivision employees released the ROM so everyone could play it, but it was cool to have the only copy for a while.

I did hang onto one Vectrex system and a set of carts/goggles, as well as a couple of the prototype Intellivision carts. Everything else went to Texas with Albert (Hi Albert!).

- Will you congratulate your RPGG and VGG counterpart?
Well of course I will! What a great idea, thanks for suggesting this.

Great questions Barad, really sparked some memories there. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GOTW.

Two questions. While I do shy away from abstract games, I do love war games.

Why do you stay away from those two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations from the rpg side of things, Bob! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratubobulations.
Huzzah thrice. And thrice again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Philo
badge
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one! thumbsupcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob, you're most prized thrift find this year so far?

How many times would you need to play a game in order to make a fair assessment about it? (just once is a good answer )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YUUUUUP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fox
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HAPPY 'NAME IN LIGHTS'!!!!!!!

This is your 15 minutes! Enjoy it!

(I'm saving my 15 minutes for some sort of earth-saving battle against space bugs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob! Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.