6 Posts

Alhambra» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring Dirk... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
elementary
msg tools
Is there any point?

I haven't played yet, but I've read through the rules. Reading through the threads I see a lot of references to Dirk's final score. Just as long as I'm using his tile count to assign 1st & 2nd place in scoring rounds, I don't really need to bother tallying Dirk's score, do I?

At first I was leery of a "robot" player, but Dirk seems more like an extra game mechanic, a tool, than a robot player. It's just a place to gather tiles. I'd prefer to think of Dirk as the "common area" and totally avoid assigning a third token and keeping a third score.

I mean, it's purely psycological, but I like the idea of the added mechanic for two-players, but I dislike the idea of having a "robot" player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elementary
msg tools
Hmm.. I wasn't considering ties for tile counts....

I suppose being tied with the "common area" would simply reduce the score by half (ties with the other player wouldn't need to be scored at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, for a crazy-good "robot Dirk" that will give you a run for your money, try Improved Dirk variant

One benefit is that you don't have to go through the deck and pull out cards just to play a 2-player game.

My group won't be going back to the "old Dirk" any time soon. Worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elementary
msg tools
Thanks. I checked out the improved Dirk. It's quite the opposite of what I'm looking to do here (make Dirk less player like), but I might give it a go in solo mode against two of the improved Dirks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
elementary wrote:
Is there any point?

It is a means to create competition and allow for separation between players. If I just go after 3 colors and score first in each of them and you in second and you go after the other 3 colors and score first with me in second, the game really doesn't work.

By throwing in Dirk, and scoring him. Now I drop to 3rd from 2nd in some cases and to 2nd from 1st in others - same with you. The game becomes more competitive and less predictable in this manner.

Perhaps you mean tallying the "final" score instead of just distributing points. Sure, if you want to skip this part, fine. But again, it is a way to make the 2-player more viable. Not only do you need to play better than your opponent, you need to play better than the game itself. You can learn a lot form a dummy, especially when you lose to him!

I am not keen on gimmicky "robot" players to make 2-player games work. But I think Dirk is an exception and the standard for other games to strive for. It works well in this game and I wouldn't think to deviate from the official way to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
elementary wrote:
Just as long as I'm using his tile count to assign 1st & 2nd place in scoring rounds, I don't really need to bother tallying Dirk's score, do I?

In my personal opinion, no, you do not have to worry about actually tallying his score, as long as you are taking him into consideration when assigning 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for all of the buildings. My wife and I have played many, many, MANY two-player games of Alhambra (it's one of our favorites), and not once has Dirk ever come close to beating either one of us. We gave up on actually keeping track of his score a long time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.