brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Brentont’s board game review of: King of Tokyo

If you have never read one of my reviews before here is how it works, if you have just skip to the next paragraph.
1 components- quality of the components and their function in game play
2 box size / components- the size of the box compared to what it holds is important to me for shelf space and is rated here.
3 rule book- how easy is the rule book to understand (I learn most games directly from the books)
4 game play/ adaptability- fun, flat, satisfying or somewhere in between/ how easy is it to adapt to younger players and adaptations made if any.
5 components / game play = price- is it worth the money for what you get
Each one being worth 0 to 10 points. These numbers will be averaged for its final score. (This score will not usually match my bgg rating which is based on game play alone)
I do not cover how the game is played. Only the points listed above. Please forgive my typos, spelling and grammar errors. I am a steel worker not an English teacher.

Here is a brief description of the game form the game box:
And there it is. There isn’t any. The back of this game box just has more awesome art work. So here is my brief description of the game: King of Tokyo designed by Richard Garfield and brought to us by iello (I didn’t capitalize it cuz neither did they) is a knock down drag out fight to be the destroyer of Tokyo. The players portray monsters with one obsession destroy Tokyo or any monster that gets in their way. By rolling dice to damage other monsters, heal themselves, collect points or energy used to purchase special abilities. King of Tokyo is a fast fun easy beer and pretzel game that makes a great filler. So crank up your fire breath and poison spit and lets get to the review.

1 components- Most of the components are great. The board is good and the cards are of good stock. Each monster has its own player card with spindowns to keep track of health and points. The only problem is the dice. The game comes with eight oversized dice that are screen printed. They would have been great etched. The symbols on the dice started to show wear with only a few plays bringing this category from a 9 to a 7.5. Why so drastic, well once the symbols wear off I will have to paint them on my self and they just wont look right.

2 Box size / components- Excellent! The box is just the right size to hold the game and the insert is near perfect. Only near perfect because once the cards are sleeved they do not fit in the insert any more. This is my fault and the score will not be reduced for this. After all I already said the cards were of good quality. 9

3 rule book- The rule book is pretty good. Easy to read with plenty of examples. The game play its self is simple and they did a good job explaining the game with out over explaining it witch can happen in simpler games. 8

4 game play/ adaptability- Game play is fast and most importantly fun. This simple game is just a lot of fun to play. Beat up on your friends and family’s monsters and just have a good time. Ages 8 and up on the box sounds just about right. Did not have to make any changes to play this with my 9 year old. 8

5 components / game play = price- King of Tokyo can be picked up for around 35 dollars. This is a fair price for what you get. An excellent buy. 8

Over all for these aspects I give the game a 8.1 This game has become a family favorite and one my game group likes as a filler. I have given this game an 8 on bgg myself witch I have said before is more about how often you would want to play the game. So grab a jet pack and grow and extra head and fight for your right to become the King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of your review, great game, but found a little on the pricey side
I really thought they would have minis instead of the cardboard standups
also, those spinners move too easily, my youngest is always bumping hos and we have to try and remember his health and VP's ...
good review though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
my youngest is always bumping hos

What are you teaching your kids?! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as for being pricey, strickly based on game play i would agree. but the components you get for what you pay is pretty good. if the components were not this good i dont think i would have enjoyed this as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Loveridge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't say this is pricey. The amount of fun I've had with this game makes it well worth 30 quid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.