Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Sorry because it seems a rather silly question but I want to buy a mic to use in vassal. It´s the first time that I will use a mic in vassal. What kind of mic do you recommend to use? Any specific model is better than others?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think it matters, but I use a gaming headset, with microphone, Logitech G35.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a headset with microphone. There are Altec Lansing but their web site does not show them. Here is something that would work. Ear buds with in-line mic.

Now that I look at it...My headphones have two plugs. One for headphone and one for mic. Here is my set hanging on the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it really matters my headset was about £10 and is more than adequate.

Note however that Vassal itself doesn't have any audio facilities, you have to use something like Skype or GMT's Ventrillo to communicate with your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
I don't really think it matters, but I use a gaming headset, with microphone, Logitech G35.

I have the same one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with speaking with the mic but the incoming voice doesn't go through the earplug, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a big comfy over the head type headphone-mic set, that gamers use for online gaming. There are lots of choices and usually you can try before you buy, just plug it into you MP3 device at the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
I have no problem with speaking with the mic but the incoming voice doesn't go through the earplug, why?

Its because you've your speakers plugged into the audio-out of your computer's sound card and your headphones are NOT plugged in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I bought the "Sennheiser PC 3 Chat Headset" thru Amazon cheap. It is a light-weight headset. And since my Internet-speed is not very high I use Ventrilo with the "press button when speaking" - option turned on. So I can curse my buddy while playing w/o him having to listen constantly to my Heavy Metal music. devil

It works really well, easy to install and GMT should be praised for Ventrilo.

IMHO unless you are an avid shooter / fantasy / whatever - online player go for the cheaper headset. For Vassal, Cyberboard or so it is enough. Paying 80 € + for a headset only makes sense if you want to use it for HiFi too (but there are better options than a headset then).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

Its because you've your speakers plugged into the audio-out of your computer's sound card and your headphones are NOT plugged in.

Thanks. But how can I make the best both of the world? I don't want constant plugging and de-plugging of the speaker with the headphones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Get a USB headset. It overrides the speakers when plugged in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Garfink wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

Thanks. But how can I make the best both of the world? I don't want constant plugging and de-plugging of the speaker with the headphones.

Agree with Bob, get a USB headset, so you don't have to compete with the soundcard's limited output/input ports.

Me,I have two sound cards, one that was build-in to the motherboard and I have an external DAC (digital-analog converter) that is what is attached to the external speakers, so my (regular non-USB) headphone-set is attached to the build-in motherboard.

With a USB headset, you are essentially adding an external DAC that is build into the headset (which is very handy.)

The reason I have a separate external DAC is to run my studio-monitor speakers, so if you were going to upgrade your sound system (as you've shown interest previously (not in this thread).) then it is a valid option path for you too. If you were going to do this anyway, then you won't need to buy another headset.

A third option depends on your hardware, most computers nowadays have a headphone jack in the front console and a audio-out in the back. So you could plug both your external-speakers and headphones in at the same time, usually by plugging in your headphones you override the speaker outputs. Sometimes you can manually select which to output via your soundcard's software drivers.

The 4th option is not a good idea but will work in a pinch. You can get a "1 become 2 headphone jack adapter." This would mean you can plug both your headphone-set and the speakers at the same time into the same soundcard output BUT this will weaken and degrade the signal somewhat but should work other wise. Its a cheap-ass option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to thank you all for the help in selecting the micro.
I would go for this one:

[geekurl=http://www.pixmania.com/pt/pt/2358784/art/creative/auscultadores-com-microfo.html][/geekurl]

I think it´s a nice price, it´s not USB but I don´t mind.

After buying it I will use Vassal with Ventrilo or Skype?
Sorry for another question but I never used none of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likely skype, but vent can be used as well. It just depends on what your gaming partner is using. Both have free clients that you can download and use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:

After buying it I will use Vassal with Ventrilo or Skype?
Sorry for another question but I never used none of them.

I use Ventrilo because:
a) it seems to need less resources than Skype and works fine with smaller bandwide
b) Skype is - AFAIK owned by Microsoft - and, as I read in a report,not so "close" concerning user-data.

But, as said before, it also depends on what your gaming - partner uses.

My buddy used Skype but we switched, because I insited, to Ventrilo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest skype. Vent is ok but skype has superior sound and is easier to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
Get a USB headset. It overrides the speakers when plugged in.

I have jacks on the front of my PC (friend built it) that does not override the speakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help in this matter of the phones with mic question.

I bought this one:

[geekurl=http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/audio-355][/geekurl]

I choose this one because I think I will use it often.
I will use Vassal or Ventrilo with the Vassal.
See you online in game someday.

Once again I thank you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Plantronics headphones for telephone work and they have quality gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.