Subject: Health in a dungeon crawl card game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zac Rorberg
Canada
Sudbury
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi everyone. I've been working on a dungeon crawl card game and I was hoping to pick some brains. So far, for health I have a card with 0 - 20 on it and you place a marker on your current HP. That was the simplest way I could think of doing it. Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The face of a die.

Several games also use hand size, so as you get hurt, your abilities weaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Neumann
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
To expand on that, you also have loss of components. For instance, at the beginning of the game you might have a hat, shirt, and boots. If at any time you don't have something, you're dead. You might gain gear, increasing your health, and you might lose or have gear downgraded, indicating a loss in health.

If something can be tied to a numerical figure, it can be representative of your health (re: the cards example above). To compound on that example, you could have cards showing your capabilities (actions you might be able to do). As you're injured, you might sacrifice them.

Or even more simply, you could just have cards with hearts on them. Think like Zelda. If you're hit, you lose a heart. If you heal, you take a heart. In order to not have hands of twenty twenty heart cards, you would need to either integrate a good amount of healing in the game or include cards of different heart "currencies" to provide exchanges. I honestly feel like this is just as bad as a track for counting out your life total, though.

Lots of stuff you could do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card is normal CCG or playing card size, I'd think it would get pretty crowded with 20 or 21 spots on it, and so the marker would have to be very small and it seems like it'd be easy for it to get bumped or placed half on one spot and half on another.

As people have already noted, it might be better to have your hand representing health.

I'd also consider whether you're having Hit Points because the game needs it, or because "that's what role-playing games have".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Rorberg
Canada
Sudbury
Ontario
flag msg tools
hmm. the component loss is really interesting. i think i might try something like that. thanks for the replies guys! also a 4x6 grid on a poker size card isnt too small. could always go 3x5 to make things a bit easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapest is probably a card with numbers around the edge and marked with a paperclip.

Tokens are number the next. Tokens with 5hp, 3hp and a bunch of 1hp tokens. Move them off or on the sheet to indicate how much life/wounds have been taken.

Dice option is next, but these might get knocked around.

Then you have cardboard spinner components like

It all really depends on the game you are trying to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Something Neu wrote:
To expand on that, you also have loss of components. For instance, at the beginning of the game you might have a hat, shirt, and boots. If at any time you don't have something, you're dead. You might gain gear, increasing your health, and you might lose or have gear downgraded, indicating a loss in health.

This is similar to one of the more elegant systems I've seen, from the 1980 computer game The Wizard's Castle. Instead of HP, you've got the typical stats of dexterity, intelligence, and strength; if one of them is reduced to zero, you're dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.