Subject: Newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just read the rules from my spanish edition of the game and I've followed the example of 3 turns included. I have also read the FAQ but I still have not played a game by my own and I haven't read all of the hundred cards, but I have already a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

a)Some events have effects "for the remainder of this turn" ("Containment", "Latin American Death Squads", "Red Scare/Purge" ...). Do you keep this cards face up on the table or do you discard/remove them immediately? Why are they not underlined?

b)When scoring regions, does "control" include "domination" or not? My specific question is if "control" of a region requires the control of at least one non-battleground country so as required by "domination" or not.

c)Must the "realignment rolls" from "Junta" be in only one country or can they be distributed?

d)What does exactly "replace all X influence" mean ("Arab-Israeli War", Indo-Pakistani War"). Is it literaly for example to replace 2/4 influence for 6/0 influence?

e)If URRS plays "Grain Sales to Soviets" as operations (activating the event for the US), and US returns the stolen card. Would then both have played the "Grain Sales to Soviets" as operations?

f)If US plays the stolen card from "Grain Sales to Soviets". Can he choose to play it as operations or as en event?

[EDIT: letters added as bullets]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a) They are not underlined because they are not removed, all are recurring events - you can leave them in front of you for the turn to remind you they are in effect, then put them in the discard pile at the end of the turn.

b) No, you score the highest level that you can - Control only requires all Battleground countries and more total countries, Domination needs more Battleground, more total countries, and at least one non-Battleground. It doesn't sound it, but Control is usually harder to achieve in a region.

c) You usually get two realignment rolls with Junta, you can use both in one country or split them if you wish.

d) You are correct, replace your opponent's influence with your own, so in the case of it being 2/4 to your opponent, it would become 6/0. You can also play such war events if neither of you have influence in the country, if you just wish to get the Military Ops and try for the VPs.

e) This will be extremely rare as playing this card at DEFCON 2 will lose the USSR the game, but if it does happen the USSR gets 2 ops (which he can use before or after the US event), then resolve the card text as normal - if the US returns the given card the US gets two ops to use as part of the event, or he uses the card he got for the event or ops.

f) He may do either. If it's a USSR event and he plays it for the ops it happens as normal, treat exactly as if he played the USSR card in a normal Action Round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
a) They are not underlined because they are not removed, all are recurring events - you can leave them in front of you for the turn to remind you they are in effect, then put them in the discard pile at the end of the turn.

Cards that go to discard pile go there immediately. So one can pick them up with SALT for example. Its very common though (and I do it too) to use the cards as reminder as long as you remember that they are actually in the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your clarifying answers guys.

TwoShedsJackson wrote:
b) ...Control only requires all Battleground countries and more total countries, Domination needs more Battleground, more total countries, and at least one non-Battleground.
Ok. So, despite being more difficult, you could have control over a region without having domination over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
Thanks a lot for your clarifying answers guys.

TwoShedsJackson wrote:
b) ...Control only requires all Battleground countries and more total countries, Domination needs more Battleground, more total countries, and at least one non-Battleground.
Ok. So, despite being more difficult, you could have control over a region without having domination over it.

Yes, that is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.