Subject: Looking for a dicey Euro! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Looking for a game with lots of dice with interesting mechanics. My favorite games thus far are Kingsburg, Castles of Burgandy, Macao, and Troyes. I have not yet played Alien Frontiers but I have heard it is right up my alley. Any other suggestions I would love to here them! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers, is very good game (and has an expansion coming: Alien Frontiers: Factions), but I think are fairly similar to Troyes (havent played Troyes so thats just an intuition from reviews).

You should also take a look at Stone Age - classic of euro games played with dice. It is completely different game than Alien Frontiers , so these two wouldn't compete for the same spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether to call this Euro or not, but this game has lots and lot of dice, strategy, luck and lots and lots of fun!

Lords of Vegas

Also have a look at Quarriors! if you want to give dice building a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
Alien Frontiers, is very good game (and has an expansion coming: Alien Frontiers: Factions), but I think are fairly similar to Troyes (havent played Troyes so thats just an intuition from reviews).

You should also take a look at Stone Age - classic of euro games played with dice. It is completely different game than Alien Frontiers , so these two wouldn't compete for the same spot.

Those are the two games that came to my mind immediately when I read the thread.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is another good pick, given the frame of this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mich
Germany
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d recommend to take a look at Yspahan and its unique use of dice. It fits perfectly in the line of the other games You mentioned before.
And no, it´s not broke - the caravan-strategy works only if the other players allow it to work. ;)
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan is a pretty decent euro with interesting use of dice. Not sure how easy it is to get hold of though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Yspahan. Also To Court the King is suppose to be alot of fun although I haven't played it. I do have Yspahan and it is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the dice mechanisms in Kingsburg, you're going to enjoy Alien Frontiers, too. I think I like the former a bit better, but they're both very good games worthy of any collection.

Elder Sign is an interesting solo/co-op dice game with Arkham Horror's theme. It has more decisions than it seems to have, and the difficulty is just right.

King of Tokyo and Quarriors! are more Ameritrash than Euro, but they're both loads of fun for a game with lots of gambling and player conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfenwizards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Parker
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it but I've heard many good things about it and it's very much a Euro (as opposed to something like Quarriors which kind of isn't).

Alea Iacta Est
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto: The Dice Game

Get the Zooloretto experience in a dice game!
This and Roll through the Ages are both available at www.yucata.de, so you could always try before you buy.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since that you own Macao, have a look at The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Alien Frontiers. It's an excellent game (and nothing like Troyes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite dice games are Quarriors ( as has been said, a fairly "Ameritrash" experience and very luck-dependant), Roll Through The Ages (which has the familiar Yahtzee re-roll mechanism), and Alien Frontiers. I've not yet tried Castles of Burgundy, but I intend to do so quite soon. I wasn't struck by Troyes, and although Kingsburg is good, it has never really gelled with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All excellent suggestions here!

You might want to look at Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. It's dicey goodness and it's free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AF and Troyes are different enough that you'll probably enjoy AF. They do have some similarities, but there are plenty of differences.

Alea Iacta Est is decent too, but I liked AF better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
aleitas wrote:
Looking for a game with lots of dice with interesting mechanics. My favorite games thus far are Kingsburg, Castles of Burgandy, Macao, and Troyes. I have not yet played Alien Frontiers but I have heard it is right up my alley. Any other suggestions I would love to here them! Thanks

Well, in the same way that AF is a sort of hybrid Ameritrash/Euro, look into Wiraqocha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garden Dice on Kickstarter looks pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a geek list with a lot of options.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/142300/best-dice-games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.