Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's the deal - I'm traveling to Amsterdam with my wife in the late May. It's a business trip but I will have a full day (Monday) free and I want to get a good feel of the city. I'm arriving 8AM at Schiphol and have time till late night (will be staying at a hotel in the centre of the city, close to Weteringschans). I need ideas:

1. some tips on how to use public transportations in the city (I'd prefer no bikes)
2. my wife is into art so I need at least 1 trip to museum - was thinking about Rijksmuseum but I'm open to other ideas
3. a nice place for a lunch, something not too expensive but interesting (Dutch or Indian cuisine)
4. a large shopping mall/centre with casual stores (like H&M) and not luxury brands
5. a large toy store, ideally with a good selection of HABA games for kids; or a boardgame store with a good selection of HABA games
6. other places of interest, not too far from the centre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
surprise "GET out of Denver, you better GO~GO!..." whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
kochamkinie wrote:
1. some tips on how to use public transportations in the city (I'd prefer no bikes)

Unfortunately bikes are a good candidate, the city is simply of such a size that you can use a bike efficiently meeple. But you want to check out the public transport company GVB for more information.

Quote:
2. my wife is into art so I need at least 1 trip to museum - was thinking about Rijksmuseum but I'm open to other ideas.

Rijsmuseum is certainly a good bet. Arrive early, for lines are long. Unfortunately the Stedelijk is still under construction but you can visit the temporary expositions. See here for more info. Very important for an art fan: the Cobra Museum. Is located in Amstelveen, though, and you need to manage your itinerary carefully then (as in, travelling there will take a bit more time). There is also a museum about Amsterdam itself (here), and right next to it, rather hidden, is the Begijnhof, which is a remarkable remnant from an earlier age. If you want to do more outdoors, you could also visit the Westergasfabriek terrain, or the Vondelpark (which is more nature, though). Alternatively, you could walk around in the district Zuid, which houses many buildings by famous architect Berlage. Not sure if that attracts a lot of attention, but you could ask around here to make sure.

Quote:
3. a nice place for a lunch, something not too expensive but interesting (Dutch or Indian cuisine)

The inner city is oozing with lunchrooms and the like. There's too many to list, really.

Quote:
4. a large shopping mall/centre with casual stores (like H&M) and not luxury brands

Amsterdam, despite its size, is not a city with many luxury stores. (Which I find saddening, but c'est la vie.) The Kalverstraat (the main shopping street in Amsterdam), Leidsestraat, Kinkerstraat and Haarlemmerstraat are what you want. Very cute are the 9 Straatjes, nine small little streets connecting the city's innter canals with each other with cute interesting stores. (The Haarlemmerstraat is like that too, but also has a few larger stores as well. No big chains, though.) The posh area is the P.C. Hooftstraat, located about 5 minutes away from the Rijksmuseum

Quote:
5. a large toy store, ideally with a good selection of HABA games for kids; or a boardgame store with a good selection of HABA games

There are only two games stores: The Gamekeeper and Het Paard. Only the first carries a good selection of children's games. For Haba you may also want to check out Goochem, although I have never been there and cannot comment on their inventory.

Quote:
6. other places of interest, not too far from the centre

Science museum Nemo; the 'rosse buurt', i.e. De Wallen; boat tours (here); Heineken brewery (here); Albert Cuypmarkt (here); Anne Frank museum (here, do reserve tickets in advance, trust me on this...); ... . Plenty of stuff to do and see, in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks. I may be perhaps convinced to bikes so a few words on them (with pricing) would be nice.

I can be at Rijks as soon as 9AM so I guess I'd manage to get in Would I get faster if I purchase the tickets online?

Still need a recommendation for a good and large toystore (even with no boardgames).

Forgot also to ask about flea markets - are there any open on Monday? Is Waterlooplein Flea Market worth visiting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your visiting the Rijksmuseum then you might want to go to the Vincent van Gogh museum as well. It's next door to the Rijksmuseum.

Intertoys and Bart Smit are a fairly large toy stores you will find in the Kalverstraat.

For some board games you could also visit the American Book Store. The are located at the SPUI. (on the corner next to tramrails.)

Waterlooplein is an ok market but, there are more beautifull things to see.

There are two small "malls" in the centre of town one is called "Magna Plaza" and the other is called "Kalvertoren".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to lock your bike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
If you really want to learn Amsterdam as it is, you can always go to the Bijlmer, strap on your bulletproof vest, hide your money and enjoy. Perhaps a pair of running shoes would help to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Butlerian wrote:
If you really want to learn Amsterdam as it is, you can always go to the Bijlmer, strap on your bulletproof vest, hide your money and enjoy. Perhaps a pair of running shoes would help to.

Sheesh, what were you thinking? Just a bulletproof vest? The poor, poor sods. They won't stand a chance. Armoured vehicle, with backup from a few Apaches at the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
I like to live dangerous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

If you're in the Rembrandtplein area, there's a street going south from there called Utrechtsestraat. Lots of interesting, inexpensive really good restaurants, Indonesian, Ethiopian, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Baack
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to go to Rijksmuseum, buy tickets online, you dont have to wait in line that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.