Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb

I know this was already answered in previous threads, but I think not really satisfyingly. cool

Just to make sure ... Can I reassign the scrambling markers, if my radio scrambler is already ON, on each initiative phase ???

The rules say that "each player who has switched ON a Radio Scrambler MUST dispatch ..." - For me it sounds like to do this only one time after activating the scrambler, not each round. The rules only say that you get your markers back, when you switch OFF the scrambler or the electrical power is down. I think the rules don't declare that I will get my markers back in the final phase.

If possible, please confirm with rule excerpt. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you reassign the markers each initiative phase that you have a radio scrambler turned on. So, in essence, you reassign the radio markers once per turn (not per activation round).

Page 26 from the manual:

Quote:
During the Initiative phase, each player who has switched
ON a Radio Scrambler MUST dispatch his 6 Radio-Scrambling
markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have the answer here, although it's not as definitive as we might like.

ER Rulebook, page 27: "Electrical Power Down" (emphasis mine):

"The player who has switched on the Radio Scrambler immediately takes back his 6 Radio-Scrambling markers and places them behind his screen. Since the electrical power comes back up in the Final Phase, the player will be able to use his Radio-Scrambling markers again during the next Initiative Phase. Cutting the electrical power does not turn off the Radio Scrambler, it just stops its effect until the next initiative phase."

Since the effect is "stopped until the next initiative phase," is stands to reason that its Initiative-Phase effect occurs each initiative phase.

I think the scrambler works by actively jamming frequencies, since it must remain ON to function. If it were a one-time thing, it would be unnecessary to have the on/off toggle - you'd simply have to activate it every turn to keep scrambling, and thus it would be a simple IPS without an on/off toggle.

I believe the wording on page 26 under "Initiative Phase: Radio Scrambling" should read as follows (alterations in bold italics):

"During each Initiative Phase, each player who has switched on a Radio Scrambler must dispatch his 6 Radio-Scrambling markers."

Again, no concrete evidence, but I think there's enough circumstantial evidence to make a judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
naf313 wrote:
Yes, you reassign the markers each initiative phase that you have a radio scrambler turned on. So, in essence, you reassign the radio markers once per turn (not per activation round).

Page 26 from the manual:

Quote:
During the Initiative phase, each player who has switched
ON a Radio Scrambler MUST dispatch his 6 Radio-Scrambling
markers.

I think the question was the ambiguous wording of that passage. It could be read two ways:

a) During Initiative, each player who switched on a Radio Scrambler last turn MUST dispatch . . ."

b) During Initiative, each player controls a switched-on Radio Scrambler MUST dispatch . . ."

I believe, as this respondent does as well, that (b) is the correct interpretation, and that the Scrambler Markers are redistributed every Initiative Phase.

My guess is it's a translation ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
shidara wrote:
My guess is it's a translation ambiguity.

Yes I agree. I think that they just use a ambiguous wording.

Thanks to you for bringing up the electrical power rule, I think there is an other argument for dispatch the markers each Initiative Phase. There they use the same unclear wording.
"The player who switched ON the Radio Scrambler..." is also used in this section and here I think it means every time the electrical power is down. So I think the meaning is "The scrambling player...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uzix uzikas
United Kingdom
Crawley
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if let say:
Salemite has only 1 alive player - Frankenstein and he was scrambled and received radio signal - OFF. He makes no turn, his action is equal to zero.
What is going to happen next turn after final phase. Will OFF signal remains and he "permanently" becomes inactive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scrambled player can always switch two scramble markers, making it fairly improbable that a single character is permanently locked down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.