Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Good decks to start with rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Cthulhu [+] Duel [+] [View All]
Enoch Leach
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, just got the game and was wondering if there are any good deck combinations with just one core set for a balanced game. I don't want the first game to go down badly with one player thrashing the other just because the two factions in one of the decks don't work well together. Any way I can ensure a balanced game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Berggren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take any of the human factions and mix with a monster-faction. Add a set of neutrals as per rules. do this twice, and you should have two fairly balanced decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice would be to not pair two human factions together, that may give the deck a weakness against Terror effects (this is much less of an issue when you can design the deck to take that into account).

Maybe one of these for mixed human/mythos decks:
Hastur + Agency
Cthulhu + Miskatonic
Shub + Syndicate
Yog + whoever

You can also give both sides mythos/mythos such as:
Hastur + Cthulhu
Shub + Yog

Agency has a lot of combat for a human faction so out of the Core set I'm more likely to pair them with one of the lower-combat mythos factions such as Hastur or Yog for a first time player. It's not that you can't beat high combat, but a first timer may feel intimidated by it and not understand that characters are meant to be disposable.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Leach
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, I was going to play with two human vs two mythos until I read your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Linger
msg tools
I wish there were actual desk lists, that are recommended for playing well together. Something like the Duel Decks that are out for Magic: the Gathering. I'd like to have a self-contained game that I can just pull out of the box for other people. The cardpool for the Ctulhu LCG seems a bit tricky to make a perfect experience out of...there are lots of cards that are either extremely narrow/Type-referential, or that can be unbalancing against certain strategies if not chosen carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.