Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I was with some friends on the weekend and someone was talking about the Raw Deal game. It sounded fun, so I thought I would order some starter cards. Seems like that is pretty confusing. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get started? I've never done a CCG before.

Should I order:
-Individual Starter Decks
-A Box of Starter Decks
-Individual Starter Decks and a box of booster packs?

So confused.

I haven't seen a great FAQ around. If I start with, say, a Revolution Starter Deck, does that mean I would need revolution booster packs to expand that, or do any booster packs (say, judgement day) expand that?

I have 3 others that would play this if I could get the cards to get started.

Any help much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gregburbidge wrote:

Should I order:
-Individual Starter Decks
-A Box of Starter Decks
-Individual Starter Decks and a box of booster packs?

So confused.

My first advice is to get the Revolution 2 Extreme Combo Box. You get 4 starters (Kane, Edge, Randy Orton and Jeff Hardy) + 24 boosters. The starters are playable as is, more so than pre-Revolution Starters, and with 24 boosters, you get enough cards extra to do some tweaking between the decks, to give a bit more individual character (at least that's where my focus tends to be). For $30, you get enough to play with for a while, to see if you get the hankering for more purchases down the line.

http://www.wholesalegaming.com/wwerawdeal/wwerawdealrevoluti...

Quote:
I haven't seen a great FAQ around.

http://www.comicimages.com/rawdeal/resources/omnifaq3.7.1.rt...

Quote:
If I start with, say, a Revolution Starter Deck, does that mean I would need revolution booster packs to expand that, or do any booster packs (say, judgement day) expand that?

You can use Revo and non-Revo cards mixed in, but I personally keep my Classic (pre-Revo) decks and my Revo decks separate, not using cards for one format in the other. Keeps things simple.

If you do decide to expand, scour Ebay for Superstar Lots if you want the sets of Superstar-specific cards for a deck. Starters, for those superstars that have a starter for them, have three Superstars-specific cards in them, in addition to the Superstar, although Revo has 1+5 (SS + 5 specifics).

You can even find most of the Starter deck contests at Comic Images' site:

http://www.comicimages.com/rawdeal/product/index.htm

follow through -> sets 1-20 -> Base Sets and Expansions

Also, if you eventually (or right from the start), branch off into Classic cards, Rumble Packs are another very good source for Superstar-Specific cards, but sadly, RPs are getting tougher to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thorough reply. Much appreciated.

A follow up question, or a couple. I guess I think I would enjoy the game more with a few specific wrestlers.

Because I still haven't played the game, I think I will go with the idea of starting with that 2 Extreme Combo Box. But there are some specific wrestlers I would love to put together.

I did find this site, that lists individual wrestlers at the bottom:
http://www.velacards.com/raw_deal_price.html

If I picked a few, like Jake the Snake and Chris Jerico, does it make sense to purchase the starter deck and look around for the extras for those specific wrestlers, or is there another dynamic I'm not catching onto here.

If I get something like Jake the Snake, and he comes from Summer Slam 2 (or whatever), does that mean all his extra cards will also come from that particular series?

Again, many apologies for my ignorance. This is going to be my first shot at a CCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gregburbidge wrote:
A follow up question, or a couple. I guess I think I would enjoy the game more with a few specific wrestlers.

Yes, there is a lot of that for me as well. Like building decks that have moves/actions (Antics in Revo) that feel like would be used by the Superstar in question, so no Immortal One (Legend version of Hulk Hogan who has no restrictions on the maneuvers he can have in his deck) with Shooting Star Presses. Even if the mental image would be hilarious.

Quote:
If I picked a few, like Jake the Snake and Chris Jerico, does it make sense to purchase the starter deck and look around for the extras for those specific wrestlers, or is there another dynamic I'm not catching onto here.

If I get something like Jake the Snake, and he comes from Summer Slam 2 (or whatever), does that mean all his extra cards will also come from that particular series?

It's tough to say in general terms. Jake for example, he comes in the last Classic set (IIRC), Great American Bash, but Jericho has been around since the very first set, there are two Superstar versions of him and a ton of Superstar-specific cards for him to boot. Mostly if a wrestler came out in set 1, the following sets would add a Rare or Ultra Rare for that wrestler, sometimes several later sets would have a card for that wrestler. For Jake, all his cards are from GAB, since GAB was set #20 and the last non-Revo set.

But also, if you want Trademark Finishers, that tended to come in the same set (but boosters) as where the wrestler first appeared. If you want TMFs (and I'm a junkie), I wouldn't go with the booster route unless you're getting a booster box for additional deck-building purposes, get them as singles or as a full set/lot for that Superstar. For Jericho, Rumble Pack #11 comes with no less that 15 Jericho-specific cards (foils that have his logo on them), although two of those cards are his Superstar cards, Jericho and Highlight of the Night. RPs have cards that are found in the starters and also cards that were originally in boosters. Some Superstars even have their TMF in their respective Rumble Pack, like Kane (RP#9, Hellfire Chokeslam) and Rock (RP#8, Rock Bottom).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man i love this game! I think i bought every starter deck that came out till the Divas one, and purchased almost all the foils that came out. Such a shame this game died. I'll probably never complete all the cards, but that is one of my goals :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CategoryOneGames wrote:
If I were you I wouldn't get into Revolution. Many players that were playing before the Revolution sets came out HATE the revolution cards because they feel it destroyed the game. If you have a group that only plays Revolution then you can have fun with it but if you are looking to play the classic game, you don't want to get any Revolution.

Revo for me almost revitalized the game, with its strict limitation Backlash decks (6 each instead of 10 each) and having only normally three Prematch and Midmatch cards out, focus returned (as it should be for my taste) much more to your Arsenal.

But more than that, my recommendation for Revo is that the Combo Box gives you the feel of the game, which underneath it all is close enough (compared to Classic) to make the call whether you'll even like the game or not. For the price (much cheaper than grabbing Classic starter boxes and Superstar sets), it's a great "core set".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.