Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a 2 Player Strategy Game Like SmallWorld rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Novak
msg tools
Hi All- My husband and I have been hooked on Smallworld for the last 6 months and we're ready for something new. We want to find another strategy game that's challenging and fun for two people. We prefer games with complexity and variability and would prefer that it can be completed in 60-90 minutes. Would love any and all suggestions!

Thanks,
Sarah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Summoner Wars? You could go with one of the two recently redesigned Starter Sets (Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs or Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins) which come with the noted two factions and a paper map; or the Summoner Wars: Master Set which comes with a nice board/map and six factions.

Easy to learn. Lots of replayability. A great game for 2p.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders is very nice game of building buildings in wild west theme and can be finished in 90 minutes.

Speaking of wild west Carson City is also very nice worker placement game.

Race for the Galaxy is an amazing space themed card game with great depth - can be bit too heavy but will be very rewarding if you would like to try card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah, do you like confrontation or do you prefer to be left alone and do your own thing? I'm guessing since you like Small World you want to do some fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister or DT2: Prison
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play board/card games often with my wife. She's not a big gamer like myself but she plays just so we can spend time together. Here are the games she loves to play most with me:

Power Grid Her favorite map is China/Korea.

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game Simple Deck Building Game that incorporates several different strategies. She kicks my butt a lot in Ascension. whistle

Age of Gods Best with 3 players but we play it with just the two of us (similar to Small World but expanded fantasy theme). Came across it for $20 on Barnes&Noble.com with $5 express shipping. It was 50% off and still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to leap in and suggest Tigris & Euphrates as I think it will take what you enjoy about Small World and push it to the next level. I play this in two and find it an enthralling game with oodles of layers. You can try it out for free here on the Geek as well if you like.

Some people think that there is too much space on the map for only two players, but I disagree, and the game can be as independent or cutthroat as the players want to make it. The latest edition comes with a double-sided board and some advanced variants (mini-expansions, if you like), so the game can grow with you, and it will also take another two players should the need arise.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellas---drawing and placing tiles, placing figures and ships, drawing and managing a small hand of cards, etc.; this is a big, strategic game in a small box IMHO. My son and I really enjoy its depth and decisions.

Tigris & Euphrates---a lot different than SmallWorld, but a lot of folks regard it as a 2p masterpiece

Ad Astra---worth a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada is an amazingly fun game that is easy to learn but has a lot of strategy in there. It plays well with 2 and plays up to 5. Can be explained to new players in about 5-10 minutes. Games are 90-120 minutes. Easy to setup, nice components, great mounted board..... looks dry but a lot of interaction and fun. Perfect for get togethers too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is considered by many to be a companion game to small world. I would recommend getting the Avalon Hill edition and playing it in black light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Manning
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Summoner Wars. Not exactly like Small World but a really amazing 2 player game. I would just get the Master Set - 6 factions to play with and the nicer game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Rattus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played a lot of 2-player Small World. Small World was my wife's favorite for a while, but these days, she is really hooked on Carcassonne and Stone Age. Both would be solid choices for you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Novak
msg tools
Thank you everyone! These are FANTASTIC suggestions. It's going to take me awhile to look into them all. I appreciate the quick response. What a generous community this is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the beautiful new edition of Evo - Same designer as Small World. Players buy genes to evolve their dinosaurs to make them survive in different conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
sarahlynn60 wrote:
Hi All- My husband and I have been hooked on Smallworld for the last 6 months and we're ready for something new. We want to find another strategy game that's challenging and fun for two people. We prefer games with complexity and variability and would prefer that it can be completed in 60-90 minutes. Would love any and all suggestions!

Thanks,
Sarah

Variability and complexity: You may enjoy Agricola. The different cards you draw for the game adds variability to this popular game. I suggest having a look at the reviews, and watching the "Board Games with Scott" video on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hutchinson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 1812: The Invasion of Canada. It has quickly become my go-to game when I have about an hour to kill. It's a quick game, it scales well if you have other people over, and the rules are simple and fun but there is great strategic depth there too. If you like Small World you will dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickster1970 wrote:
I am going to leap in and suggest Tigris & Euphrates as I think it will take what you enjoy about Small World and push it to the next level. I play this in two and find it an enthralling game with oodles of layers. You can try it out for free here on the Geek as well if you like.

Some people think that there is too much space on the map for only two players, but I disagree, and the game can be as independent or cutthroat as the players want to make it. The latest edition comes with a double-sided board and some advanced variants (mini-expansions, if you like), so the game can grow with you, and it will also take another two players should the need arise.

Happy gaming!

And, Tigris & Euphrates is one of the May Game of the Month games.

See here: GotMC - May 2012 - Tigris & Euphrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.