Popular Tags: [View All]
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The very first time we tried to adjust the dial on one of the ships in Fleet Captains it snapped off. In fact, 90 percent of the dials were very stiff and difficult to turn. We ended up krazy gluing the broken ships and ignoring the dials and used a paper clip on the ship cards instead. With sleeves (this game requires sleeves anyway) this is an absolutely ideal solution. The paperclip slides easily, doesn't slip or damage the card, and is easily referred to.

Great looking, but very fragile minis. Ignore the dials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio
Peru
Lima
Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this too , it is the easiest solution, but i use colored clips over the sleeves, Skyblue for the Feds and Red for the Klingons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rammer3 wrote:
i use colored clips over the sleeves

I found the coated paperclips provided unwanted traction and made sliding just a bit more difficult. The unfinished clips combined with quality sleeves makes sliding perfectly smooth without shifting. I can't imagine anyone bothering to use the dials once they've tried this.

Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we do something simular. But is'nt it sad we have to use paper clips to "fix" this game after spending $100 on it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Yes, we do something simular. But is'nt it sad we have to use paper clips to "fix" this game after spending $100 on it. shake

Totally agree. I got mine for a song (a mere $55), but also think it's strange that they would design a wheel that is manipulated on every turn, then place that wheel on a weak spindle that is already supporting a ship that provides all that torque on that same spindle. Such bad design. And, ironically, THAT'S WHERE ALL THE MONEY WENT WHEN THEY PRODUCED THIS GAME!!!!!

I still love the game, but you really need kid gloves to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one friend, who enjoys Star Trek, who, after one play, refuses to play again because he was so shocked about the components. He says he just can't get into the game; except for the clix, it's almost a print and play game. And the clix don't really work "with" the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
I have one friend, who enjoys Star Trek, who, after one play, refuses to play again because he was so shocked about the components. He says he just can't get into the game; except for the clix, it's almost a print and play game. And the clix don't really work "with" the game anyway.

I wouldn't go that far. The components are not the worst I've seen. They support the theme well and the game plays smoothly. Other than the hexes and the weak ship supports, I find the components on par with most games (most, not all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a simple process for fixing the stiff dials. Look in the file section. Also, when turning the dials, grip the top of the clix base with one hand and turn the wheel with the other. Do NOT grip the stand or the ship.

From a gameplay perspective, it's better to use the dials. Based on the model, I may not immediately recognize which Klingon ship is in a particular space. And I definitely can't read your ship cards from across the table. However, I can pick up your ship and look at the power setting and the ship name right on the dial. This way I get information about your ship without having to interrupt your turn. There is a lot to keep track of when taking your turn, so it's nice not to have to be interrupted with questions like, "Hey, what is the shield rating of ship X?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I not a huge fan of the Star Trek, i just grew to see the series that passed on TV. I have seen the Original series, Next-Gen and the Voyager. I didn't see the others series much.

I read some reviews about the bad and good things of this game. Since the reviews talked very good on the gameplay. So i decided to buy this game at christmas 2011. Played it 4 times with my friend play it wrong and learning little a little until playing without errors. The last time i played was in January.
In past weekend, i return to play it with my friends playing the team game (2 vs 2). A couple of 2 hours, it became a complete fail because we forgot about the rules that some parts couldn't do "this" or we could to "that". One of my friend forfeit it completely, and another got a bad view for this game.
Now i see that the game will never be touched again to play. I feel a deep sadness and sorry to spend $100 for this game when i should buy better games with high quality components. soblue

The problem at the previous session was the clix base. One was always complaining about that. Always asking another to turn his clix.

I wished that the Wizkids could test more and open their ears the feedback about the components.

Instead of using base clix on these ships i would like the Battlestar Galactica Dials. These dials could be on the ship card, where the sheets are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timothy thomsen
United States
manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"From a gameplay perspective, it's better to use the dials"

I will politely disagree. Being a "seasoned" gamer (age 43) I find that the print on the dials is extremely small and hard to read. Even if I pick it up, reading the thing was difficult. Why should you have to move anything from any part of the board in order to play the game? The info should be accessible to everyone, and clearly.

When i comes down to it, the Clix wheel has been used for a long time, and is has been a very good money maker for them. (well, other than the fact the Wizkids went out of business. Ooops.) But the Clix are a very uniqe idea, and for the most part work.

However, when I pick up a game componant, and I am gingerly turning the wheel, there is no way the thing should snap apart. Period. We should not be discussing an alternate way to record the stats of the ships, because the Clix should work. For $100, you should have given us companants that work, a newly designed wheel with ball bearings would have been nice. Why not? I'm paying a Benjamin for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen. Not to mention four ships were broken right out of the box and it took two months, and numerous emails, to get replacements from the company.

Imagine my chagrin when I bought Mage Knight the board game (which is a great game btw), only to find it had missing components (which I'm still trying to get from Wizkids.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the "paperclip method" with the ship cards and have also replaced the minis that came with the game with the ones from the Star Trek Heroclix set. They look *great* with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.