Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Porter
United States
Gig Harbor
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other night my wife and I ran into this situation, and I haven't been able to find a clarification.

My wife had a Strong Scavenging Goblin and an assistant. Each has a base defense of 2, and the goblin gets one additional defense for all other creatures "in your ready area." I had attack total of 4. The question is, if the assistant is destroyed, does the goblins defense go back to 2, or does it stay at 3?

I assumed that the defense would go down, meaning that I would kill them both, or she would have to take out the goblin first, soak up 3 damage, and have the assistant survive. She thought the defense would be assigned when summoned and not change.

Is there any official clarification?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the defence values would be set during each attack. So if you killed off her assistant and then another player attacked her the defence value would be lowered for the second attack.

This is not an official answer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Esser
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~~~it is my understanding that defense is set before damage is dealt...so the goblin would get the bonus regardless during this attack...then when the next attack occurs, the defense would be checked again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this same situation happen to me last night. I had one Strong Scavenging Goblin and two Assistants, and my opponent had a total attack of 5. At least one of my creatures had to die, so I sacrificed an Assistant thinking that my Goblin — who started the attack with a defense of 4 — could absorb the remaining attack. But my opponent asserted that the Goblin's defense would immediately drop to 3 as soon as the Assistant was destroyed, so I would lose another creature.

A careful reading of the attack rules on page 12 indicates that my opponent may have been correct, as the defender must choose "defending creatures one at a time". We accepted this interpretation for the remainder of the game. However, two threads about the Mighty Primordial Ooze card (whose defense also depends on the number of creatures present) assert that the defense is determined at the beginning of the attack phase (i.e. at step 2) rather than when choosing the next defender (at step 2b).

Quarmageddon to the rescue! The new expansion's rules add another step to the attack phase which officially clarifies this situation:

Quote:
2. Attack: Each of your opponents who have at least one Creature in his Ready Area must defend against your attack total (each opponent receives the same attack total). All of your opponents defend simultaneously and individually. Each opponent follows these steps to resolve your attack:

2a. Apply Protection: The defending player may use abilities or effects that reduce your Creatures’ attack (such as casting a spell that lowers your Creature’s attack or a Creature ability like the Mighty Witching Hag’s) or increase the defense values of his Creatures. Unless the ability or effect says otherwise, they only reduce your attack values and attack total for that player, and have no effect on your attacks against your other opponents.

2b. Choose Defender: The defending player must now choose one of his Creatures to defend.

2c. Defender Takes Damage: The defending Creature takes damage from the attack. If your attack total is less than the Creature’s defense value, the defender is not affected, and that player is done defending against your attack. If your attack total is equal to or higher than the Creature’s defense value, your opponent’s Creature is destroyed! He must move it to his Used Pile, and he subtracts the Creature’s defense from your attack total.

2d. Next Defender: If your attack total is still higher than zero, that opponent must choose another Creature to defend, if he has any. If your opponent has run out of Creatures to defend with, he is done defending against your attack (even if his Creatures did not absorb the entire attack total). Any leftover attack value is lost.

Repeat steps 2b, 2c, and 2d as needed until all players have either defended against your entire attack total, or run out of Creatures to defend with.

So the initial defense of a Strong Scavenging Goblin or Mighty Primordial Ooze, which is chosen in step 2a, is not changed during the middle of an attack as only steps 2b, 2c, and 2d are repeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.