Popular Tags: [View All]
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is a link to an article that is very interesting in the context of near space mining and exploration.

http://theweek.com/article/index/227100/asteroid-mining-is-t...

Maybe we are closer than we think. I have my doubts that in this generation it will be cost effective to mine asteroids unless some very rare and needed mineral is found on one. I am not sure even then that the start-up costs would not be insurmountable. But it is cool to think maybe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirmed. James Cameron and Sergei Brin are two of the backing investors - announced this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-mining-venture-backed-google-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AZrugger wrote:
Confirmed. James Cameron and Sergei Brin are two of the backing investors - announced this morning.

You mean Sergey Brin. But the article actually mentions Larry Page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
Below is a link to an article that is very interesting in the context of near space mining and exploration.

http://theweek.com/article/index/227100/asteroid-mining-is-t...

Maybe we are closer than we think. I have my doubts that in this generation it will be cost effective to mine asteroids unless some very rare and needed mineral is found on one. I am not sure even then that the start-up costs would not be insurmountable. But it is cool to think maybe...

What will really make asteroid mining cost effective is when we start to do serious space building. Due to the huge price per pound of getting raw material into space.

Your right, until we start building real space stations aka habitats the costs of space mining won't make it worth doing for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first trillionaire will likely be the man or woman who first captures an asteroid.

As the price of oil rises, it gets more and more expensive to mine minerals like copper, nickel and even iron. The price of copper has been rising for years.

People discussing asteroid mining like to talk about the value of the iridium, platinum and gold, etc. that an asteroid of such and such a size holds, but the regular industrial metals also are worth a tonne of money and their price will only increase as the cost of energy rises.

Warm regards, Rick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Smith wrote:
The first trillionaire will likely be the man or woman who first captures an asteroid.

There will be trillionaires due to hyperinflation long before anyone captures an asteroid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could give you an infinite amount of copper in orbit for free, and you wouldn't be any richer than you are now. It isn't worth anything yet, one day it might be more economical to build stuff in space than to lift it there, but as long as we're sitting on 3e11 tons of copper in the Earth's crust, plus all that we mine can be easily recycled, it's pretty hard to imagine bringing it down from space being the most efficient way to get copper, ever, even if in orbit it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I could give you an infinite amount of copper in orbit for free, and you wouldn't be any richer than you are now.

And I will drop this copper, destroying that major cities of the Earth. Unless you give me...

One Million Dollars!

Bwahahahaha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.