Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for a great game. I recently purchased it, and it hit the table twice last weekend, and may land again tonight. But a few niggling questions have come up, and I can't find a clear answer in the rules.

According to the rules, "The payment for a building purchased on a mine can be made from player holdings, the mine holdings, or the holdings of a connected railroad."

1. Can I combine funds from two (or three) of these sources to pay for the building? Or does the entire sum have to come from a single source?

2. I'm assuming a similar ruling about paying with combined funds would also apply to buildings placed on a town site. Correct?

3. How about paying for track? Can I pay for track from multiple sources? How about if I pay for one piece of track from the railroad holdings, and two from personal holdings?

4. If I take the "Lay Track" action, and I control 2 different railroads, can I place one section of track on one railroad, and two on the other?

While looking over the rules, trying to answer these questions, I found a couple of things I've been playing incorrectly.

A. A railroad with bonds cannot end the game (with a stock price over 100). (Actually, we haven't played this wrong, but we would have if it had come up, and it almost did.)

B. A railroad can pay for a building on it's start position, even if it has not laid any track.

However, this second item does bring up a couple of new questions. Assume that the railroad is paying for a building on it's start position (e.g. the Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad building in Goldfield), but no track is present on that space.

5. Does the building get the reduced cost $20,000 for being connected to a railroad?

6. Does the building give a boomtown bonus to the railroad?

Strictly reading the rules, the answer would be 'No' but I'm wondering if there was an intended exception, similar to how the railroad can pay for a building here, even if no track is present.

Thanks again. Not only has the game been a lot of fun, but it's also brought back fond memories of driving around the Nevada desert exploring for old ghost towns, mine site, etc. with my Dad. The only town on the gameboard I haven't been to is Blair Junction.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of these questions I can answer from memory, so let me see if I can help you out with those.

alexborders wrote:
1. Can I combine funds from two (or three) of these sources to pay for the building? Or does the entire sum have to come from a single source?

A single source.

Quote:
2. I'm assuming a similar ruling about paying with combined funds would also apply to buildings placed on a town site. Correct?

Correct-- just a single source.

Quote:
3. How about paying for track? Can I pay for track from multiple sources? How about if I pay for one piece of track from the railroad holdings, and two from personal holdings?

Track is only paid for from the railroad's own money, which is why the railroads often have to take out bonds.

Quote:

4. If I take the "Lay Track" action, and I control 2 different railroads, can I place one section of track on one railroad, and two on the other?

I think it's just one company's track, but I don't have the rules in front of me right now to check that.

Quote:

5. Does the building get the reduced cost $20,000 for being connected to a railroad?

I don't think so-- I think the reduced cost is only if a piece of track is there.

About your last question, the boomtown bonus-- that's always something I have to look up in the rules, and I don't have that in front of me right now. But Pat's pretty active and will probably be able to answer that-- and to make sure my above answers are correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, Tom!

tomrussell wrote:
alexborders wrote:

Track is only paid for from the railroad's own money, which is why the railroads often have to take out bonds.

Huh. I know I remember reading that a person could pay for track out of their own pocket. I can't find it in the rules, however, so apparently it's a false memory. Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:

I think it's just one company's track, but I don't have the rules in front of me right now to check that.

The rules are silent on the subject. "Only the player holding a railroad company charter is allowed to lay track, with the payment being made from the company charter . . . . A player is allowed to place a maximum of 3 trains (in three areas) per action."

Quote:

About your last question, the boomtown bonus-- that's always something I have to look up in the rules, and I don't have that in front of me right now. But Pat's pretty active and will probably be able to answer that-- and to make sure my above answers are correct!

Like I said, the rules are pretty clear that the answer is 'no' but I'd feel better about it if the designer confirmed that this was the intent, and not an oversight.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to post my answers FWIW. If nothing else, it will be interesting to me to see if I'm right

1 No
2 No
3 No
4 No
5 No
6 No

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is pretty interesting! Here are the "official" answers:

According to the rules, "The payment for a building purchased on a mine can be made from player holdings, the mine holdings, or the holdings of a connected railroad."
A. No, always a single source.

A. Yes, single source from connected railroad or personal holdings.

A. No, it must be from a single specified source which is the railroad.

A. Yes, even more combinations track may be layed with the Railroad Commissioner (why not since there is no rule against it). Note: this is a fantastic question, as it never came up in a year of playtesting!

While looking over the rules, trying to answer these questions, I found a couple of things I've been playing incorrectly.

A. A railroad with bonds cannot end the game (with a stock price over 100). (Actually, we haven't played this wrong, but we would have if it had come up, and it almost did.)

B. A railroad can pay for a building on it's start position, even if it has not laid any track.

However, this second item does bring up a couple of new questions. Assume that the railroad is paying for a building on it's start position (e.g. the Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad building in Goldfield), but no track is present on that space.

A. Not unless there is track present, (it can be track from any railroad).

6. Does the building give a boomtown bonus to the railroad?
A. Yes, since the railroad company must be in operation to be the entity who is making the payment, the railroad (regardless of trackage) and any operating mines within two areas also receive a boomtown bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now we have the official word!

Not quite the answers I was expecting, but I can work with that.

Found another mis-played rule. We were taking turns in clockwise order, rather than in role order. Will fix that next time.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, because your questions were so penetrating, I added them all to the website FAQ's and it even inspired me to write the "New player Alert".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hogan
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new player alert is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.