Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card stock for all the components is too thin, the victory points chips are ridiculously too small, and the building tiles really really need pictures on them. A new printing should fix these issues without having to buy an overpriced limited edition of the game, especially due to its classic status. I do like the game a lot, but the experience would be even better if it were made of quality components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right, but the new components are very nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the old components are fine, but with the anniversary edition available, I don't see the issue. Obviously a component upgrade is going to come with a slightly higher price tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the components are perfectly functional and the hallmark of Euro style board games. Sure, design and component quality has come a long way, but when Puerto Rico first came out I think people were very enamored with it. Some appreciate the uncluttered style of design. In no way do I think the components "suck"...buy, hey, that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sucks compared to what? I played the original edition twice recently and it is fine. Any game could do with metal coins, but few people would want to actually pay for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
It's not just you. It's just the way the components are for all of Alea's releases. Thin, low quality cardboard with minimal artwork and color palettes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Thin, low quality cardboard." The cardboard is certainly thinner than what is in a lot of more recent games, but I can't think of a reason to call it low quality. The cardboard parts in my copy of Puerto Rico have held up very well over dozens of plays over many years. I can think of two other people I know with older, heavily played copies of Puerto Rico, and their copies look great too. My experience has never been that the cardboard in this game was low quality. Have you had a different experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it is subpar but with the special edition there is no sense in complaining as you have the option to pay for quality components for a fair price.

Still, the regular edition of PR has better components than some modern games such as Ora et Labora and Die Brugen von Burgung IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:
Yup, it is subpar but with the special edition there is no sense in complaining as you have the option to pay for quality components for a fair price.

Still, the regular edition of PR has better components than some modern games such as Ora et Labora and Die Brugen von Burgung IMO.

The MSRP of the Limited Edition is about $100, though you can get it for around $75. Minus the metal coins, you can get other games with about equal components as PR limited edition for around 35. Ive seen Stone Age (granted its not as good of a game as PR...but to me its still a great game) for UNDER $30, and the components of Stone Age are VASTLY superior to base PR. Im just saying I shouldnt have to pay nearly $100 once you tac on s&h to get decent components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Ive seen Stone Age (granted its not as good of a game as PR...but to me its still a great game) for UNDER $30, and the components of Stone Age are VASTLY superior to base PR.

Really?

Item Stone Age Puerto Rico Additional Comments
Wood Check Check Some of Stone Age's wooden bits are bigger
Cards OK Not required
Tokens Food VP and Coins I don't remember Stone Age being any better
Dice Yes Not required Puerto Rico is a diceless game
Dice Cup Yes Not required Puerto Rico is a diceless game
Buildings Thicker Not as thick Really makes no difference
Box Closes Fail Check Puerto Rico better.

The only noticeable difference I see is that the building tiles in Stone Age are thicker and that the Puerto Rico game box actually closes with its components inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Ive seen Stone Age (granted its not as good of a game as PR...but to me its still a great game) for UNDER $30, and the components of Stone Age are VASTLY superior to base PR.

Really?

Item Stone Age Puerto Rico Additional Comments
Wood Check Check Some of Stone Age's wooden bits are bigger
Cards OK Not required
Tokens Food VP and Coins I don't remember Stone Age being any better
Dice Yes Not required Puerto Rico is a diceless game
Dice Cup Yes Not required Puerto Rico is a diceless game
Buildings Thicker Not as thick Really makes no difference
Box Closes Fail Check Puerto Rico better.

The only noticeable difference I see is that the building tiles in Stone Age are thicker and that the Puerto Rico game box actually closes with its components inside.

The box doesnt close? Mine does. There are two other copies in my gaming group...and they close fine too. And you dont think the food tokens are better quality than the base edition PR victory point chips and coins? Well...ok then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They may have fixed it in later printings, but the first edition of Stone Age, the box does not close completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I agrees that the components in STone Age are superior to PR (Have both) but they're 6 years apart (year of 1st. Publish) so maybe that has something to do with it, because since 2002 a lot has changed in the boardgame world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico's components are great! You may not like the way they look, but it's sturdy stuff. All of my alea games have great components that last through multiple plays and even beverage spills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*** Negative statement coming *** devil

Since I'm not 5 years old, the components don't really matter.

*** End Of Negativity ***

I understand what you are saying though. BUT, Should they have crafted the corn into an ear of corn? If you answer yes, then what should indigo be? without Google-ing, how many of you out here know what "indigo" is? If you do know what it is, how would you craft a game piece out of wood to represent it?

For me, it all comes back to old school RPG video games. I would much rather play Final Fantasy 6 (US FF3) for the Super Nintendo over almost any RPG made today because of the plot of the game. Graphics don't really do much for me. The same applies to board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnyrides wrote:

I understand what you are saying though. BUT, Should they have crafted the corn into an ear of corn? If you answer yes, then what should indigo be? without Google-ing, how many of you out here know what "indigo" is? If you do know what it is, how would you craft a game piece out of wood to represent it?

For me, it all comes back to old school RPG video games. I would much rather play Final Fantasy 6 (US FF3) for the Super Nintendo over almost any RPG made today because of the plot of the game. Graphics don't really do much for me. The same applies to board games.

You can attach all the lofty reasons you want for playing boardgames, but the real reason all of us grown-ups play boardgames boils down to this: we are adults looking for an excuse to play with toys. So when I am playing games of any degree of complexity, even though I am in my mid 40's, I am at that moment 5. And I am proud of it, thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My components are fine. Must be a different edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thickness is not the best measure of quality stock. Fantasy Flight gets praise because of their thick pieces, but it tends to de-laminate quickly. Puerto Rico has had no issues. I'll take dense over thick any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
donnyrides wrote:

You can attach all the lofty reasons you want for playing boardgames, but the real reason all of us grown-ups play boardgames boils down to this: we are adults looking for an excuse to play with toys. So when I am playing games of any degree of complexity, even though I am in my mid 40's, I am at that moment 5. And I am proud of it, thank you very much.

Annoyed you are speaking for "all of us"....

This runs on the incorrect assumption that "toys" are for children of single-digit years. Just not true. At no point do I feel like "a child" playing a board game. They also need a mentality of a day-gone-by to enjoy at times, but that does not mean I am "5" when I play them. Quite contrary to that fact I'd say that playing boardgames has the added benefit of 'maturing' a young person in a favorable manner.

Thank you very much...66

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knifie_sp00nie wrote:
Thickness is not the best measure of quality stock. Fantasy Flight gets praise because of their thick pieces, but it tends to de-laminate quickly. Puerto Rico has had no issues. I'll take dense over thick any day.

If I notice the artwork starting to scuff, I will go outside on a sunny warm day and spray pieces, boards, and/or boxes with a quick coat of clear acrylic. Enamel works, too. It dries in a matter of minutes and keeps the artwork in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a simple and reasonable comment from the original poster.. why are so many people dismissing it and pointing annoyed at the 80$ edition? Pieces of cardboard don't need people defending their feelings.

Wtv, the new Spaniard version apparently addresses some of the issues. Maybe a English reprint will follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holland
Canada
flag msg tools
robot

I don't think the base version sucks at all. PR rocks and nothing can take that away from it... artwork *would* be nice, but imagination is where it's at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An upgraded English base version with artwork would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jpjandrade
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I fully agree with this complain. I'm just starting out my boardgame collection after being hooked by Catan and I bought both Small World and Puerto Rico at the same time. I've read both rulebooks and I think PR is by far the better game, but at first glance the first game I wanted to play was Small World because it's production values are top notch. And this feeling was shared by my group as well.

Sure, lasting impact is the most important thing and Puerto Rico has made a name for itself, but there are many high quality, full of beautiful art games selling for US$30 that I don't understand how can a classic game such as Puerto Rico go without a graphic overhaul for so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[yes, reviving a dead thread, get over it]

jefftang wrote:
An upgraded English base version with artwork would be nice.
With the collectors edition, I doubt they'll do this and cannibalize sales of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.