Popular Tags: [View All]
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to be able to enter a range of games for a range of dates.

Example: I played Chess 5-15 times between 1984-2000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grietens
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. I would even be happy with a simple checkbox, to indicate that I have played a certain game (one or more times). This is useful for games that I've played in the past, when I wasn't registering all my plays yet (when i was a teenager, many many years ago ;-) )

This checkbox could be automatically checked when you enter your first "play".

It should then be possible to filter on this checkbox to produce a list of my collection (for example to select those games that I did or didn't play yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Magritte wrote:
Good idea. I would even be happy with a simple checkbox, to indicate that I have played a certain game (one or more times). This is useful for games that I've played in the past, when I wasn't registering all my plays yet (when i was a teenager, many many years ago ;-) )

This checkbox could be automatically checked when you enter your first "play".

It should then be possible to filter on this checkbox to produce a list of my collection (for example to select those games that I did or didn't play yet).

That is a good idea. Perhaps 3 check boxes: 1-4 plays, 5-9 plays, 10+ plays. Then I could go through the games of my youth and mark them that way instead of not putting any plays or having to make a random guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Redward wrote:
I would like to be able to enter a range of games for a range of dates.

Example: I played Chess 5-15 times between 1984-2000.

Interesting idea. But the implementation and report generation for this sounds tricky and nonobvious. It would probably require the BGG software to do some messy interval arithmetic, keeping track of ranges instead of single values.

What would you like the system to report if you ask for all your plays of chess between 1995 and 1998, for example? (And note there could be "normal" logged plays in there as well.)

Suppose I record that I played Chess 5-15 times between 1984-2000 and that I played Chess 5-15 times between 1990-2005. What should it report for my Chess plays from 1990-2000 (for example) or for 1995-2005? (Given the input data, I might have played any number from 0 to 30 games of Chess in both of those report intervals.)

There are certain obvious nice properties I'd expect, e.g. if I ask for all plays up to and including a particular date (and get N results) and I ask for all plays after that same date (and get M results), then I would expect N + M = my total number of plays. This could be guaranteed various ways, e.g. treating all your abstracted plays as having occurred on 1984-01-01, or on 2000-12-31, or linearly interpolating them in the specified interval. But if there's not even a concrete number (i.e. there are intervals like 5-15 instead of a specific value like 10), well, hmmm...

I guess the simplest solution is to simply not include these abstracted "ranged" logged plays in reports, but I guess that you do want them included, as that's presumably the whole point of the request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I guess the simplest solution is to simply not include these abstracted "ranged" logged plays in reports, but I guess that you do want them included, as that's presumably the whole point of the request.

I just want them included in reports for myself. Perhaps it could disallow ranges that overlap. I am not a programer so don't know the logistics. It doesn't seem wise to use it in any reports that cover "all the plays" because it won't be as accurate.

Regardless, I wanted it for more personal use. There are a lot of games that I played before loving plays and I would like them to be represented in the most accurate way possible. The current way I can do that is not very accurate because I end up picking one date with a single number of games instead of a range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my thought as well. Vague/ranged data is much harder to deal with than specific data. If the only level of granularity you want is played/not played, then a simple (single) checkbox would work. But if you want numbers, not so much.

The closest thing I could see on a practical level would be a checkbox and an optional # of plays. (A specific, if estimated, #, not a range.) The first shows up in any report of "played", but does not affect numbers in any way, so technically the game is marked "played", but number of plays is "0." The second would actually affect total # of games played, but when filtered by time (or pretty much anything else), would not show up. So number of games played might equal 20, but games before and after Jan. 1 of this year might be 10 and 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.