Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Flipping around the channels before the Braves game starts, I landed on CNN. Piers Morgan was interviewing Sean Penn (a 1%-er himself) about current politics and was discussing candidate Romney and Pres. Obama. Funny. I want to get my political news from an actor. Granted he is an Oscar winning actor, but how does that qualify him in political matters?

A few channel changes later I land on Fox News. Hannity is discussing politics with Robin Leach of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" fame. Who knew he was such a political expert. Did I miss something?

No wonder the news business is in trouble. Or did I just happen to catch two unusual moments during an hour long broadcast?

Being a celebrity doesn't qualify you as a political expert... but it doesn't disqualify you either.

People tend to complain "Why should I listen to Celebrity X about politics" more when Celebrity X is saying something they disagree with than when they agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Neither of those shows are "news broadcasts". But I do like the irony of interviewing two rich guys for political views. Definitely more interesting TV than interviewing a bunch of Joe the Plumber types... cause those people ask tough questions and demand real answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
People tend to complain "Why should I listen to Celebrity X about politics" more when Celebrity X is saying something they disagree with than when they agree.

Sure they will, because when push comes to shove, most people would rather have others vote with them for poor reasons (like because of a celebrity) than vote against them. That doesn't change the fact there's no more reason to listen to a celebrity about political matters than any random person off the street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

Sure they will, because when push comes to shove, most people would rather have others vote with them for poor reasons (like because of a celebrity) than vote against them. That doesn't change the fact there's no more reason to listen to a celebrity about political matters than any random person off the street.

Yes but by the same token, there's no less reason to listen to a celebrity than any random person on the street. And if the celebrity has taken the time to learn about the subject, then there may actually be more reason to listen to them than to a random person, unless the random person has also taken the time to learn about it.

In any event, you're more likely to hear about the celebrity's views, since they have a bigger platform from which to dispense their wisdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We pay attention to the views of people with high status, regardless of where that status comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Sean Penn seems to do a lot of political work both in and outside his main career. Might not be my first choice as a commentator, but I wouldn't dismiss him, either. Heck, even Leach must have some ability to connect with the very rich and understand their perspective, so he might be a great choice if you're trying to look at certain economic issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Sean Penn seems to do a lot of political work both in and outside his main career. Might not be my first choice as a commentator, but I wouldn't dismiss him, either. Heck, even Leach must have some ability to connect with the very rich and understand their perspective, so he might be a great choice if you're trying to look at certain economic issues.

Certain economic issues? Like what?

You don't even need a grade school certificate to understand every economic issue all rich people have - and that includes Sean Penn and his angry faces when he's proving how giving he is. All rich people issues center on what to buy. Whether it's mobility, health, security, pleasure, etc.... all issue of economics are pretty much the same. Rich people can buy shit I can't and they want to keep it that way. I just want the same stuff Sean Penn has and if I got it I wouldn't make angry faces. I would probably punish a few old enemies with my new-found wealth though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
and if I got it I wouldn't make angry faces. I would probably punish a few old enemies with my new-found wealth though.

You mean, you would make angry faces... they just wouldn't be yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Certain economic issues? Like what?

You don't even need a grade school certificate to understand every economic issue all rich people have - and that includes Sean Penn and his angry faces when he's proving how giving he is. All rich people issues center on what to buy. Whether it's mobility, health, security, pleasure, etc.... all issue of economics are pretty much the same. Rich people can buy shit I can't and they want to keep it that way. I just want the same stuff Sean Penn has and if I got it I wouldn't make angry faces. I would probably punish a few old enemies with my new-found wealth though.

I actually don't think that's true. I never expect to be wealthy enough to make this transition, but at some point, money may well be more about power and status than stuff. They aren't completely separate, of course, but sometimes increasing the scale makes a difference in the dynamics at play. Not everything is a fractal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
RoverGuy wrote:
...A few channel changes later I land on Fox News. Hannity is discussing politics with Robin Leach of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" fame. Who knew he was such a political expert. Did I miss something?...
In the case of Robin Leach, he agreed to come on Fox and bash Obama, which is all any of the Fox News "commentators" are really looking for. They know any other channel will have its choice of celebrities to parade in for their 5 minutes, but Fox kinda has to take what it can get. And so to advance the "Obama apparently hates successful people" meme, then here we have a completely irrelevent septuagenarian punchline who needs a few bucks, so he agrees to go on tv, parrot the Fox News company line, then disappear back into oblivion. It's an amusing trait of the political Right, to bash celebrity as vapid and inconsequential, yet still be a slave to it when it comes to ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
fizzmore wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

Yes but by the same token, there's no less reason to listen to a celebrity than any random person on the street. And if the celebrity has taken the time to learn about the subject, then there may actually be more reason to listen to them than to a random person, unless the random person has also taken the time to learn about it.

In any event, you're more likely to hear about the celebrity's views, since they have a bigger platform from which to dispense their wisdom steaming piles of worthless bull-shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
fizzmore wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

In any event, you're more likely to hear about the celebrity's views, since they have a bigger platform from which to dispense their wisdom steaming piles of worthless bull-shit.

Really? You had to take my subtle sarcasm and replace it with your ham-fisted concrete brick?

I weep for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
I want to get my political news from an actor. Granted he is an Oscar winning actor, but how does that qualify him in political matters?

In a a democracy, everybody can and should be "qualified" in political matters. If Sean said anything that is not true or relevant or ethical, then criticize him for that.

It is wrong to dismiss someone's input simply because of their job. Just look at what happened to Hedy Lamarr. She helped pioneer frequency hopping technology used today in cell phones, but no one took her seriously as an inventor, because she was "just an actress".

Tl;dr: Who the Hell is he? Who the hell are YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Celebrities have nothing to say to me about politics. It's a sad state of affairs when a mouthy celebrity can air their views without any political background or knowledge. Politics contains too much personalty cult status as it is, they just make it worse.

The same goes for medical and science matters. If I want advice on vaccination I do not ask an amateur like Jenny McCarthy and I see no reason why I would ask Sean Penn about politics.

What happened with Hedy Lamarr is totally different and completely irrelevant. If a celebrity shows a background and knowledge in their field then they can speak about it, such as Bryan May about Astrophysics, as an expert but never because they are a celebrity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.