Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this (Divine Right) the video game version of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. The only videogames of DR that are affiliated with the board game are play-by-email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn it! I was quite enthused when I saw it listed in the app store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rahman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This is Glenn Rahman, designer of DIVINE RIGHT. I guess I should put in my two cents on the matter of the so-called "Divine Right" app.

The app has nothing to do with my game, Divine Right, as people have correctly reported here. As far as one can see (from the public information about the app), it's creators make no claim to any connection between it and the DR authored by me, (that which came out from TSR, and later from Right Stuf). I personally have not seen any similarities. As far as titles go, they are not copyrightable, fortunately or unfortunately. Nor do I hold a trademark on the name Divine Right. This name, in fact, was also used in a book series a decade or so ago. (Probably there is no connection between the app and the book either, but I don't know).

As for putting DR on computer, I have listened to offers from a number of people who wanted to do a DR electronic game, but the were all start-ups who couldn't take the project past the talk stage. BTW, an established computer game designer with an interest in DR has told me that companies aren't turning boardgames into electroic games anymore; the industry has moved past that stage, which leaves little hope for creating a real DR game for computer.

Anyway, a new hardcopy edition of DR is far along in preparation, and so is a companion game, SCARLET EMPIRE (which can be played separately or in union with DIVINE RIGHT). We expect the work to be done this year (mostly it is finished artwork that we still need). After that, we only have to cut a deal for publication. We have had multiple queries of interest on that score already, so we are at least hopeful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn_Rahman1949 wrote:
BTW, an established computer game designer with an interest in DR has told me that companies aren't turning boardgames into electroic games anymore; the industry has moved past that stage, which leaves little hope for creating a real DR game for computer.

The industry may have moved past that stage but I have not. In fact it's the reason I bought an iPad over a PSVita or Dingoo or 3DS or XBox360 or PS3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glenn_Rahman1949 wrote:
... BTW, an established computer game designer with an interest in DR has told me that companies aren't turning boardgames into electroic games anymore; the industry has moved past that stage, which leaves little hope for creating a real DR game for computer. ....

There are exceptions: Blood Bowl, Ra, Ticket to Ride, Carcasonne. And the Hearts of Iron series is much like a boardgame. But, I doubt DR would be popular, by video games standards anyhow. Too complicated for just any bozo to pick up

Quote:

Anyway, a new hardcopy edition of DR is far along in preparation, and so is a companion game, SCARLET EMPIRE (which can be played separately or in union with DIVINE RIGHT). We expect the work to be done this year (mostly it is finished artwork that we still need). After that, we only have to cut a deal for publication. We have had multiple queries of interest on that score already, so we are at least hopeful.

That's exciting! My copy of DR is a little worn out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
...I doubt DR would be popular, by video games standards anyhow. Too complicated for just any bozo to pick up

I disagree. The most complicated aspects of DR are the combat and siege systems, which could be automated by a computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn_Rahman1949 wrote:
This is Glenn Rahman, designer of DIVINE RIGHT. I guess I should put in my two cents on the matter of the so-called "Divine Right" app.

Can you play Scarlet Empire with any of the previously published versions of Divine Right or do you need to buy the new version for it to match up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minionhunter wrote:
Can you play Scarlet Empire with any of the previously published versions of Divine Right or do you need to buy the new version for it to match up?

We designed SE to be a supplement to the forthcoming DR6. The SE rulebook will be relatively short because it will be full of cross-references to the DR6 rulebook--the games share rules for random events, combat, etc. Our publisher may have other ideas, however, so there is a chance that SE will be a stand-alone product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am most emphatically looking forward to a reprint.

I loved version 2 and tried to love the 25th anniversary set but the rulebook format (broken into disjointed 3 books) were just too hard to find anything and then integrate into a game. Please pay special attention to how the basic, intermediate and advanced rulebooks are constructed. I really want to play the full up, super advanced game...

The only other pet peeve I had with the 25th anniversary edition was the chits were had a serrated edge because of the method of cutting. Nrmal chits don't have this and it was a distractor. A minor issue, I know, but one that really threw me for a loop every time I picked it back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three-book split of DR25 is what impelled me to create my own rulebook. It drove me mad, trying to remember which book contained the rules I was looking for, especially when the same subject was covered in all three books according to the subject's complexity. My solution: put all the elements of a given subject in one place, then present them in order of complexity. The re-organization and the addition of an index are the contributions to DR6 that I'm most proud of.

I have no say in the quality of the chits, though. That's entirely up to Glenn and the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.