Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a mini-expansion I have been working on for nearly 2 years. It started off as an expansion on the "Wonders of Catan" scenario found in Seafarers, but has since become somewhat of a blending between Klaus Teuber's "Settlers of Catan" and Antoine Bauza's "7 Wonders".

The basics of the expansion are as follows: as you build up your settlements and cities, you are also building up your Wonders. These all have a prerequisite, such as having a city on a lumber hex before you can build The Hanging Gardens, or a city on the desert before you can build The Great Pyramids. Then, as you upgrade, in addition to Victory Points, you receive special abilities. There are 13 abilities in all, and they include:
Corsair - the robber may move to a harbor and steal one card. Place robber on the harbor. Blocks 2:1 or 3:1 trades.
Vault - You may store up to 6 cards in the vault. These cards may not be stolen or traded with another player or the bank. When removing cards, they must be used immediately.
...And 11 more unique abilities

In the file links, you will find pictures of a printed version, as well as download links for the expansion. The entire expansion can be printed on 4 sheets of paper, and has been playtested.

For printing in North America, please download here: http://bleuvii.deviantart.com/art/The-7-Wonders-of-Catan-V2-...
For printing in Europe/Asia/Australia, please download here: http://bleuvii.deviantart.com/art/The-7-Wonders-of-Catan-V2-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks really cool, great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY JINKERSON
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you consider a print run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Galarneau
Canada
Trois-Rivieres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've download it and I'll try to build it and play in in the near future. It look really nice.

Thanks for your time :-)
Cigal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bone4lyf wrote:
Would you consider a print run?

Yes, but I'm not sure of the legality of that. Can anyone add some insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the Catan logo is probably verging on the IP a touch

But tbh..
You are not producing a copy of the game.
You are not producing a clone.
You are not claiming anything to do with the original games publisher.
You are not replicating any of the games components.
You are not going to be producing a gross commercial Print run

I think you are in the legal clear here really

And i would like a copy over her in the UK... what you have made up looks really high quality. Kudos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
IANAL, but I'm pretty positive that it would be an IP issue. "Catan" is a trademark, and there may be issues of copyright too (but I think copyright only covers their actual text and artwork).

I'm sure I've read that even putting these fan expansions up for free download on a website like this is legally a very questionable thing, but the IP owners don't generally bother with such things because it's not worth the time and effort and expense to police the internet, as long as no money is changing hands.

A print run would have to be sold, evem if only to cover costs, and that's a whole different kettle of fish. You would be making money from their IP, even if not threatening them directly, and they simply couldn't allow that precedent to be set.

Unless, of course, you get permission from the owners of the trademark/copyright first...

Very nice work, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shima Tetsuo
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo.
It's going to be a nice print and play weekend for me (again...) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jetpac wrote:
And i would like a copy over her in the UK... what you have made up looks really high quality. Kudos!

Then download the A4 versionmeeple! I used to live in Japan, and I always got frustrated when PDFs made for American printers didn't print correctly. Now, whenever I create stuff like this, I always create 2 versions.

Printing instructions are included in each zip file.

Please continue the discussion on doing a print run. If this proves popular enough, I am hoping to contact Mayfair Games and get a run like the Oilsprings Scenario. But yes, I would have to charge. Because I did everything on the highest-quality laser printer at Kinko's, my set cost me about $13 to make. I could reduce that cost by making multiple sets at the same time, but at minimum, I'd have to charge around $15-$20 USD.

And Shima-san... you're welcome. My print-and-play weekend with your 7 Wonders: Faith expansion will hopefully be next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed 4 more sets today and actually tracked the cost. I got the whole thing professionally printed and laminated at $48, or $12 per set. Each set included:

* The printed pieces (4 pages)
- 2 on high gloss
- 2 on thick cardstock
- 8 wonder cards laminated
* DVD Case, purchased at store
* 8 1-inch wooden coins
* 8 small wooden pegs (for marking building progress)
* A can of black matte spray paint

Of course, the whole thing can still be printed and assembled for less than $1 on your home bubble-jet printer. But I thought I'd let you know the actual costs of printing a pro-quality set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cornelius
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Co-Founder & Owner of Cosmic Wombat Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting - haven't had a chance to look at the file yet as the site is blocked where I work.

I too have created a supplement / fan expansion and am interested in doing a production run but am uncertain of the legal guidelines. I've been doing a bit of research on it but haven't found anything conclusive yet. Let me know what you find out if you contact them and I'll keep you posted if I learn anything as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Metzger
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am printing and preparing to play later this week, however I have a rule clarification that I'd like resolved. The Raider ability cancels all effects of a Wonder, how does this affect the Mausoleum vault ability when there are cards in the vault?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Sorry for taking so long to get back; I've been on vacation. If the Raider blocks the Vault, then the cards are "locked". You can't add any or take any out, but the cards that are already in the Vault remain there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Busch
msg tools
it appears that the card things for each wonder are made of a thin cardboard material similar to the material used for the hexes and some other things in the original game. Is this true or are they just printed on plain paper? I ask because I have developed a piece that allows the border to turn the opposite direction which will allow for a lot more variance in game set-up. I was wondering if you could tell me how you made them so that I could make my peice look nice and work well with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love how you put this together. Even with my poor skills with anything artistic the set turned out beautifully. I went with your suggestion and used 1" black disks and printed on cardstock.
You don't have a 5-6 (and 7-8...) player extension do you? It's pretty much impossible for us to get down to 4 players. We almost always have the full 8 to match our pieces. As a result this is waiting for a slow night, but I'm looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stelios Tsaldaris
Greece
Thessaloniki
Stavroupoli
flag msg tools
we played this exansion today in fog island scenario with 5 players.i know there wheren't any instructions for 5-6 players, but because it would be the first time for all of as, we played so as to learn the expansion and to clarify some issues we might had.

so here are some questions we have:

1) if a player manage to steal a wonder from another player, the wonders is resetted? or it remains in the level the player had it? (so if there are victory points in the level,the thief gains them too?)

2)if the player that lost the wonder had victory points from one level, he loses them?

3)a player tha has a city in a harbor, that also is in a "one-land" hex, can he starts the wonder of Colossus in one turn and the Pharos in the other?meaning, that this city (and that hex) will have 2 wonders.

4)The searchlight ability you say tha negates all effects of robber, for all player's hexes (and not only the hex that the wonder is,right?).is that includes the ability of a robber that prevents upgrade of a wonder? meaning i had completed the Pharos and i had the Colossus in 3rd level.before my turn one player put the robber in the Colossus token.Could i upgrad to 4th level when my turn will come?or the searchlight ability will cover me?

5)the Guidepost,the Tribute, the Salvage, the Reverce 2:1 and the 3:1 abilities,can be played multiply in a players turn?

6)You say that and can be played with several scenarios,4 islands,heading for nes shores etc...but in fog islands for 3 player ,there in no desert hex,or in 4 player there is one in fog hexes.so what happens there? in the second case, you must find the desert hexes, built a city, and then start the wonder?in the four isnland also no desert exists and maybe to other scenario.what happens there?

7) trading a wonder with other player, do they keep (the wonders), their levels and give (or take) the victory points to players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacta13 wrote:
6)You say that and can be played with several scenarios,4 islands,heading for nes shores etc...but in fog islands for 3 player ,there in no desert hex,or in 4 player there is one in fog hexes.so what happens there? in the second case, you must find the desert hexes, built a city, and then start the wonder?in the four isnland also no desert exists and maybe to other scenario.what happens there?

You don't have to stick rigidly to those scenarios in Seafarers. If a scenario has demands for special fields, just alter the official suggestion so that it fits your requirements. Catan makes you a level designer by creating your own maps, and a junior game designer by picking optional rules from a set distributed among all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making this expansion. I'll try it out after I play the Wonder of Catan scenario. I've played 7 Wonders too, so this looks exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kleber barbosa
Brazil
olinda
pernambuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played this variant and I liked it. And yet I played with another variant: WELFARE variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
msg tools
The gameplay I had with this variant was PHENOMENAL! Thank you very much for this post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would someone with the pdf PM me? Links no longer have files

TIA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jordahl
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Links don't work
Hey man, I think this expansion looks amazing, but the links don't work anymore, could you message me links? Or email me the files?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.