Subject: Plantations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Really enjoying PR after a long time boxed and unplayed. Kids, eh! I'm just wondering why the plantations have to be seperated into five counters with the unchosen discarded until the pool is exhausted? Then they're all returned with a new 5 counter line-up positioned. It seems clunky to me, why not just bundle them all in a pot/pile and take when necessary. Is there some random math I'm missing that makes it necessary to cycle through the plantastion counters? Came up in conversation last night, and we couldn't answer it!

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Oh, if I've read the rules wrong, forgive me, it's been a while!

Best regards,

Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wondered about that particular rule.

One explanation would be that it is easier to see how often do you have to choose the Settler until the discarded plantations get shuffled again.
But it's lame, I admit meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any mathematical reason in this. I think this is done in order to ease the renewing of them: you are not required to remember how many plantations must be opened. You simply take one from each pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To let the player think about how limited the chance factor is using this method.

Placebo effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
It did complicate the rules for us, because for the first 6 months we played, we thought when a pile ran out, that was it. I was shocked when I found out the truth, and wondered the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always just kept them in a bag, and pulled from the bag when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually just randomly make up plantations that I think should be placed and then pull those from the bag.

That's ok, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queequeg wrote:
I usually just randomly make up plantations that I think should be placed and then pull those from the bag.

That's ok, right?

Hey, what kind of factory do I need for a rainbow plantation? Can I trade these... umm, are these Skittles?... for anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow plantations produce gold, but only if you have the tiny Irish colonists.

Personally I like having the separate piles although there is no reason for it. There is no reason for it but to keep everything a little tidy as (at least my game) did not come with an appropriate bag or bucket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are tossed in a facedown heap. It does not matter at all. Just make sure that discarded plantations are set aside and aren't mixed back in until the pile is exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
I always just kept them in a bag, and pulled from the bag when needed.

Ditto - a Crown Royal bag to be precise. For the collector's edition, I used one of my coveted Crown Royal Black bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The unpicked ones are discarded to avoid having a high concentration of "unwanted" plantations building up in the bag (before all the other's had a chance to cycle through).

For example, if no one wants indigo but a couple come up every turn, players can pick other crops (or the quarry), bypass them and not have to worry about picking them up right away again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap. Hearing all of this jibber jabber about "discarded" plantations made me check the rules, as I had no idea what you guys were talking about. I've been playing wrong again.

We've never discarded the plantation tiles at the end of the settler role. Ugh. I think that's the last rule we've played incorrectly. Thankfully a minor one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Plantation Poker, drawing from a opaque container (i.e., coffee cup). The person taking the Settler draws the next plantation tile set; best 5-tile poker hand over the course of the game wins! No prize or anything, they just win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
We've never discarded the plantation tiles at the end of the settler role. Ugh. I think that's the last rule we've played incorrectly. Thankfully a minor one.

Actually, not doing a full change of plantations could have a subtle but dramatic effect on the game, such as allowing a player to acquire or prolong a monopoly on a cash crop, or perhaps establish or prolong an advantage in shipping goods, or maybe thwart one player from establishing or increasing crop diversity for the factory. PR is a game of subtle interactions, so misplaying this rule could drastically influence your game outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragnar Iceblood
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but you have only 4 visible plantations in a 3 player game, so that doesnt compute with 5 hidden piles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warlin wrote:
but you have only 4 visible plantations in a 3 player game, so that doesnt compute with 5 hidden piles...

The "5 hidden stacks" rule was invented by the english translator.

The illustration in the rule book is for 4 players; it uses 5 stacks, since there are 5 face-up plantations in a 4 player game. The original german rules only state "well shuffled, face-down". The translator added the confusing "clarification" since he saw 5 stacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.