Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A local group has felt the need to change the Colliery's entry fee to 1 food. The reasoning is that, since the Colliery is so essential and gets constant use, at 2 food the owner gets such a decisive advantage that he can easily walk away with the game.

What do you think of this change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
At 2 food there is an incentive to be the guy who gets this building. At only 1 food, I don't know I would go out of my way to own it. I didn't notice that the owner of the Colliery always wins. On contrary, he may even be inclined to sell it if other people will stay there too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is the Wharf also overpriced? Abattoir? Ironworks? Marketplace? All of the above buildings have very profitable entry fees. Why are you not tinkering with them?

If you really feel that the Colliery is too strong, there are two ways to combat it: take it for yourself, or try your best to keep it buried.

Do not underestimate using wood and Charcoal Kiln for energy. If you are speaking from a group that overvalues coal/coke strategy, then at least one player should be able to use an alternate strategy with less competition and win (ship bread/cattle, build, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.