Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone played this yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still undecided about whether or not to back this on Kickstarter. The $100 pledge looks good now with tonnes of extra gubbins, but the gameplay looks a little over-simplistic in the posted video so I'm not sure if the actual game is of interest to me. Has anybody on here who is not connected to the creation or marketing of the game played it yet? If so, could you give us your impressions? I notice that the game has visited a couple of conventions so somebody must have had a go. How does it feel during the game? Is there enough complexity to it? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw 2 people in the Kickstarter comments that said the game was pretty good and I also saw pictures on a facebook account somewhere (sorry, I can't remmeber where) with the guy who took them saying that the game was great.

It's not of much help, but it's all I saw on the matter, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it yet. Having said that, I do have a couple of miniatures rules sets for Zombie gaming, so even if the rules for this are not great, the boards/tiles and figures make this worth it for me.

If the rules are simple but fun I'll be very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
I have not played it yet. Having said that, I do have a couple of miniatures rules sets for Zombie gaming, so even if the rules for this are not great, the boards/tiles and figures make this worth it for me.

I'm a backer (for now at least) and it's true that some more intel on the actual game would be great.
Being no mini-crazed fan, I'd have nothing to do (or only my own prototypes, and thay would mean some extremely expensive prototype material) with them if the game doesn't deliver.

Therefore I'm with you in it Doominic: the opinion of (unbiased) people who've played this in conventions and all would be greatly appreciated because:

1) If they can convey the feeling that the game is really good (using proper examples like in first impression reviews foe example) that would surely boost the funding (and the bonuses)!!!!!

2) If they can't, that would spare me spending 95 euros (which is A LOT for a game) on a game I don't really want without knowing it.

Note: simplistic but fun is fine for me and my wife, and we love the theme anyway so that should do.
But if simplistic means luck and roll, it's a no go... My fear: that the actual gaming experience would resemble Claustrophobia, a nice game in it's own way but one where, after a few games, the luck factor felt much too great for our taste. (yeah okay, we're very euro, Village being our game of choice at the moment, but we adore Runewars too so we're bipolar XD)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ikno
Belgium
flag msg tools
I haven't played the game yet, and i'm also still undecided about backing it yes or no.

But if you look at the # of pledges after adepticon, it went skyhigh so thats saying something i guess?

and i think the url shoogoo was looking for is this one:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.392678027431311.978...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:

Agreed.

I haven't played either and would love to hear from somebody who has. I'm interested in some details about mechanics as well as overall impression. Did the game feel fiddly or intuitive? Were there any issues with components (prototype or production quality), and did the developers mention anything that would be changed between now and publication?

As for the game being "too simple", simple is good, in my opinion. I ended up not backing Zpocalypse because, while it tried and may have succeeded at putting "all things zombie" into one box, the phases and excessive attention to detail seemed a little cumbersome to me. They wanted to make a "video game and pen-and-paper RPG have a love child, and it's a boy-er, board game", and while that might appeal to some, it's not what I'm looking for. Besides taking an "everyone vs zombies" approach (instead of player vs player), it's probably easiest to compare Zpocalypse and Zombicide to the skirmish games Earth Reborn and Claustrophobia. Zpocalypse tries to recreate Earth Reborn in terms of all the stuff you can do (e.g. terrain and environment details, having to feed your team, event cards, etc). That's great for some people, but I felt it would be too long and involved for my group. As I already mentioned here, Zombicide seems more like a cooperative version of Claustrophobia, with similar simplified movement rules and straight-forward combat, and plenty of room for strategy and tactics (e.g. use noise to lure zombies into an intersection where your allies can pick them off in the crossfire). It drops some of the fiddlier RPG elements (but keeps mechanics like leveling up, equipping weapons, etc) in favour of non-stop zombie slaying action.

A game that can play in an hour (maybe more depending on the scenario, but at least has the potential to be short) is going to see a lot more play in my house than one that takes 2+ hours every time (hence Claustrophobia is favoured over Earth Reborn, despite how great the latter might be). So when it comes down to it, I want a game that focuses on fighting zombies, with decisions like "do I shoot now or fall back to find better equipment", rather than spending a lot of game time on scavenging and planning phases that must take place before anybody can engage a zombie in combat. It looks like Zombicide is the perfect zombie coop for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,
you wrote it down. i cant do that in english.
less is more (like Mies van der Rohe said). Also in games. If the system runs it should work. this is my hope also. i decided too to not pledge zpocalypse.
what i love is the artwork and the minis. very clean artwork an very detailed minis. if the game is half as good: i will love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I thought of is a comparison to HeroQuest (without a GM)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with just about everything Jeff said above me...which is why I backed both games,

I feel Zombicide might get the most playtime in my house, and if it plays like it SEEMS to... it might even overtake Last Night on Earth as most requested zombie game from my daughter who LOVES zombie games, but likes fast simple mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Bowersox
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that it was being played at Adepticon (in fact, my husband sat in on a demo)... I'll try to wrangle up some people that got to give it a chance for a review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jing Luo
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jeff above, but I backed Zpocolypse. I think the added stuff with more mechanics is lacking in my collection. I do agree as well, with my group, that shorter games take to the table more (more plays, more chances to replay), but games like Catan or Thunderstone, Arkham Horror, and a bunch of these games all have the potential to hit 2 hours, yet also have games that are shorter (around 45 minutes - 1 hour). And those games all reached my table still with plenty of plays. I think it's the factor of something "different", and Zpocolypse is just that.

With Zombicide, I can't help but think that there are a LOT of zombie games out there already, but making itself "different" by making it shorter and simpler. For me, experience of gameplay is the difference between whether I want to play a game or not. That is the biggest factor whether I commit my time to playing the game, whether the game is an hour, or two. I really like the theme, don't get me wrong, but the video doesn't explain too much, and seems to hold back a lot more potential of the game. I feel that I would like to be a backer, but I'm on the fence because it seems too simple, and one that could be something short of a thematic experience.

I should add coop games doesn't get much attention with my group We're all pretty competitive. They have hit with plays, but definitely much less!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I kinda have high expectations too, for this game to be the one to change my gaming sessions from LNOE to Zombicide.. Im hopping for a fast paced game but I don't mind if the rules are a bit complicated as long as they allow for tactics to beat luck (well at least most of the times).

I really like(d) LNOE, but recently I found myself and my friends spending way to much time reading Hero and Zombie cards, rather than actually playing, during a game.. So what ALSO pushed me towards this game, was the fact that it looks like action cards are simple and easy to overlook.

Yet my greatest fear is also that I just might have spend 100 bucks backing another Zombies!!! highest-score-on-a-die-wins kinda game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greasygeek wrote:
I kinda have high expectations too, for this game to be the one to change my gaming sessions from LNOE to Zombicide.. Im hopping for a fast paced game but I don't mind if the rules are a bit complicated as long as they allow for tactics to beat luck (well at least most of the times).

Yet my greatest fear is also that I just might have spend 100 bucks backing another Zombies!!! highest-score-on-a-die-wins kinda game...

You have just nicely summed up my feelings and concerns too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scary thing is that no one's anwered the actual question of the thread yet.
If I were the designers, at that point, I'd put an online PDF of the rules. Well, that is, if they are a 100 percent sure of their stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing else, think about it like this,
If we hit the $140k mark, and im sure we will,
We will get over 100 figures.
So, counted out, thats less than a $1 per figure....

If nothing else, thats worth it.
And if it ends up being too simple, expand on it with house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
Scary thing is that no one's anwered the actual question of the thread yet.
If I were the designers, at that point, I'd put an online PDF of the rules. Well, that is, if they are a 100 percent sure of their stuff!

I just still don't think I can commit to a game that I know virtually nothing about. Yes it looks great, with lovely minis, but my hard-earned cash has many many pulls on it and $100 for the only sensible backing point is a big ask at the moment. I don't want to miss out on it, but I am very concerned that we are not actually being told anything about the gameplay complexities other than the simplistic version in the video and nobody has, as yet, been able to comment on how it plays. I will probably end up on missing out on something that is great, but with only a few more days to back it, I just can't see that one completely compelling reason to believe that this game NEEDS my money right now.

Ho hum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know virtually nothing about it, then you haven't really tried to find out much. Looking at the website and the gameplay video you find out how the zombies move, how the skills work, how the danger levels affect the game, how damage works, how the inventory works, etc, etc. Pretty much all the core game mechanics. Sure, you don't get every nitty gritty details, but you can have a very good idea of how this game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
If you know virtually nothing about it, then you haven't really tried to find out much. Looking at the website and the gameplay video you find out how the zombies move, how the skills work, how the danger levels affect the game, how damage works, how the inventory works, etc, etc. Pretty much all the core game mechanics. Sure, you don't get every nitty gritty details, but you can have a very good idea of how this game works.

Some of what you've found I haven't (inventory, damage) and apart from getting the actual PDF of the rules getting info on a game is never as good as getting a feeling of it from people who've actually played it.
I remember buying a game on rules only recently (I won't tell you which game cause I think the designer is a cool guy) and it was absolute crap to play and everybody on forums and in muy friend's circle said the same... ANd the rules seemed smashing at first glance but it jusst... didn't work!

In the case of Zombicide, I really hin it ha good ideas mechancs wise (sound and the choices implied by levelling) but I really would like to konw more and feel EXTREMELY frustrated since we KNOW some people have tried ic at conventions and no one comes forxard to vent his opinion here.
And tha is extremely surprising too, seeing what the BGG community is...
Normaly such a question should have had at least three guys or more popping up and praising (or debasing) the game as soon as the question was asked. Or did they all forget about Zombicide as soon as they got away from the conventions???????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGovern
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is the only reason I haven't backed it yet. You'd have thought they might have made a few review copies available to help generate interest in the Kickstarter; like the Colossal Cave board game Kickstarter seems to have done.

I have a $100 ready to go (well $125 plus possible import duty to get it to Germany) but I'd like to here people's opinions on it. Billions of minis doesn't excite me as I'm not the sort of person who paints them. (wish I was).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear, hear! While the minis look good, I'm wondering about re-playability and how the game differentiates from others. I supported Zpocalypse and play lot of All Things Zombie miniatures (heroes can do skills, level up, camapigns, etc). Zombicide seems to do the same thing as All Things Zombie, but with boards instead of a terrain table.

I'm willing to back the game if someone can provide more reasons why I should get it (other than the miniatures).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TeknoMerk wrote:
Hear, hear! While the minis look good, I'm wondering about re-playability and how the game differentiates from others.

This is the one thing that is also keeping me from backing this, re-playability.
It doesn't matter if you have 400 minis, if they just sit there ALL the time, well...
Sure, I now own 3 games that don't see too much game time (because they take A LOT of time to play), but every time I play one of them I can add 4-10 hours to it and I enjoy to play them a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be 10+ different scenarios.
How about replayability of games like Claustrophobia?
Once you've got how the game works you can create tons of custom scenarios. I think the system offers much more "replayability" than games that don't work with scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
There will be 10+ different scenarios.
How about replayability of games like Claustrophobia?
Once you've got how the game works you can create tons of custom scenarios. I think the system offers much more "replayability" than games that don't work with scenarios.

I've posted the 11 scenarios here. A Kickstarter stretch goal includes at least one more downloadable scenario. I'm sure upcoming expansion(s) will include more. And like Claustrophobia (see this external link), I'd be shocked if both fans and the designers didn't come up with custom scenarios people could try out. In fact, I've got one in mind that I'll probably post later today (which will need to be tweaked once we get the complete official rules).

*edit* Posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayability isn't a problem anymore since the AMAZING 160k stretch.

I already have ideas for 6 scenarios and I'll gladly share them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Miller
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to read the rules and here some reviews from people that have played it. The Kickstarter is super tempting with the mass of extra figures, but if the game isn't great, then ehhh.

I am on the fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.