Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Suing
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I finally got to play this game last weekend and we burned through the first 3 scenarios. I played the Salemites each one, and during the first two scenarios I felt it was well balanced enough, but the third was incredibly frustrating for me.

The NORAD forces were just so much faster, better equipped, with a higher max CP. I really struggled to even get close to the professors mansion with the zombie's being so slow and their max CP being so low. The only one that could really move around the map was Hollister, but she's incredibly weak in close combat and her weapon wasn't damaging enough. My opponent just ran Bolter towards my end and started bombing me with that grenade launcher. It didn't help that my movement tiles weren't the best, but man, that max CP of 3 for the zombies (and movement of 3) really hurt in the open field.

Any thoughts on workable Salemites strategies for this scenario besides just hoping for a 4 movement tile and having the professor make a run for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with that, I wanna read comments about a winning player leading salemites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done many demos using this scenario. There are some strategical things you can do: putting Hollister in line of sight of the main area and interrupt with her as the NORAD forces close in.

But several times I saw people make a crazy mad dash with the professor, with Hollister as backup. Within 2 order tiles, Professor got up to the building, before NORAD could be fully settled on the front of the building (or even inside the building). It doesn't always work of course, but it had on some occasions.

Another way is have a wall of Jack Saw and Hollister and Professor behind - or delay the professor and let Saw, zombies and Hollister soften or kill NORAD forces, then have Professor make dash for it (or hang back a small bit behind his forces (to avoid the grenade launcher).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My oppo and me have played through all nine scenarios, with him as Norad. He won 5 to my Salemite 4, and scenario 3 was my first win!
As I recall I kept the Prof behind Saw and a zombie and advanced slowly. Holister hid behind the building, awaiting a clear shot. Bolter and Woo came in to shoot, - not effective,so they moved closer. Bolter got the Prof and legged it with the serum/virus, but after fighting Jack, Holister was able to catch him, and regain it. Meanwhile with Woo down, and Jack still about, Vasquez gave up. (Hope that's the right scenario).
As a postscript, Scenario 3 was my first game as Norad, and was a breeze - got the long range hits, then walked up and took it.
As you said Norad definitely feels easier to play. We still can't decide if the game is balanced, or it just hides under layers of complex mechanisms. Still it is fun if frustrating. Stick with it, its worth it in the end, even when that damned robot thing starts appearing. As a salemite, you can be reanimated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Suing
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, I thought about just having the professor follow behind Jack and a Zombie and just move slowly, but then I didn't want to just see all of them getting bombed by the grenade launcher. Felt like it'd be a better strategy to separate them at least enough so that more than one wouldn't take damage from a single grenade.

Ultimately, I think trying to use the other characters as blockers to keep the NORAD soldiers from off the professor would have been a good plan, but my opponent wasn't too concerned with them, and it's hard to block anything out in the open field. With their movement speed, and my opponents uncanny ability to pull 3s and 4s for movement, he'd just go around everything and interrupts only delayed him from getting in range of the Professor.

Now I'm thinking that maybe making a dash for that small alcove right in the middle of the map, and plugging the only exit with Jack could have worked... but again.. we'd be spending all out CP on movement for multiple Activation phases just to get there... meanwhile absorbing damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Had a blast with this scenario last week. My son (12) played the Salemite and got more and more frustrated. He didn't see any opportunity to win. I told him to focus on the objective at hand and suggested he was to busy losing to have a chance at winning (which remark he didn't find helpful at all). He kept on nagging about the low speed of his characters so finally I caved in and suggested trading sides. So we did.

As the Salemite, I totally ignored the useless zombie and advanced Jack Saw, followed by my favorite mad scientist. I neglected Hollister and as a consequence lost her to a cowardly attack by Village People fan James Woo and Nick Bolter. She died outside, next to the entrance of the laboratory. I refused to give up (determined as I was to show my son what gracefully losing is all about) and muddled on. However, the vicious and spineless assassination of the poor, defenseless little girl burned up all NORADs CP's and since Hollister was the last character I needed to activate, my hands were now free to do whatever I wished. So I spent four move orders on the professor and walked right through the thugs that were still busy mocking the mangled body of their poor victim. I came up one square short to enter the laboratory, but NORAD wasn't able to finish off the brave professor in time to prevent him from saving the world from smugness and righteousness.

I laughed my head off. My son proclaimed the game 'dumb'. And wanted to proceed to the next scenario immediately.

Afterwards I realized two things. The first is that I should have pulled back Hollister to keep NORAD busy. The second was the importance of distracting your opponent and and make him burn his CP's, consequently making interrupts harder if not impossible.

By the way, I won the next scenario ("The Vault") in a similar gratifying way. My son played NORAD again and thought he was doing fine, having blown up the Zombie Lab and killed Jeff Deeler. I had succeeded in creating two Zombies, which I had lost almost immediately. I had only Hollister left, but she was right near the exit and was in the posession of the syringe, loaded with Zombie Serum. So I made a run for it, left the building and raced towards the Cemetery. The Fallen Sniper with the Big Boobies tried to stop me and so did Nick Bolter, leaving me with only one lifepoint. The next turn I won the initiative, because I bid all my CP but the four I intended to spend, knowing I had only one shot to resurrect the last cadaver. As it were, my gamble paid off, much to the dismay of my son.

(and before you start picking on me for being too hard on my twelve-year-old; he usually beats the crap out of me with Descent and Runewars)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Tuijp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:

Had a blast with this scenario last week. My son (12) played the Salemite and got more and more frustrated. He didn't see any opportunity to win. I told him to focus on the objective at hand and suggested he was to busy losing to have a chance at winning (which remark he didn't find helpful at all). He kept on nagging about the low speed of his characters so finally I caved in and suggested trading sides. So we did.

As the Salemite, I totally ignored the useless zombie and advanced Jack Saw, followed by my favorite mad scientist. I neglected Hollister and as a consequence lost her to a cowardly attack by Village People fan James Woo and Nick Bolter. She died outside, next to the entrance of the laboratory. I refused to give up (determined as I was to show my son what gracefully losing is all about) and muddled on. However, the vicious and spineless assassination of the poor, defenseless little girl burned up all NORADs CP's and since Hollister was the last character I needed to activate, my hands were now free to do whatever I wished. So I spent four move orders on the professor and walked right through the thugs that were still busy mocking the mangled body of their poor victim. I came up one square short to enter the laboratory, but NORAD wasn't able to finish off the brave professor in time to prevent him from saving the world from smugness and righteousness.

I laughed my head off. My son proclaimed the game 'dumb'. And wanted to proceed to the next scenario immediately.

Afterwards I realized two things. The first is that I should have pulled back Hollister to keep NORAD busy. The second was the importance of distracting your opponent and and make him burn his CP's, consequently making interrupts harder if not impossible.

By the way, I won the next scenario ("The Vault") in a similar gratifying way. My son played NORAD again and thought he was doing fine, having blown up the Zombie Lab and killed Jeff Deeler. I had succeeded in creating two Zombies, which I had lost almost immediately. I had only Hollister left, but she was right near the exit and was in the posession of the syringe, loaded with Zombie Serum. So I made a run for it, left the building and raced towards the Cemetery. The Fallen Sniper with the Big Boobies tried to stop me and so did Nick Bolter, leaving me with only one lifepoint. The next turn I won the initiative, because I bid all my CP but the four I intended to spend, knowing I had only one shot to resurrect the last cadaver. As it were, my gamble paid off, much to the dismay of my son.

(and before you start picking on me for being too hard on my twelve-year-old; he usually beats the crap out of me with Descent and Runewars)

dear people who read this message, please notice the tinier letters saying i beat him at every other game. unable to ever succeed cry he channels his frustration through insulting me on boardgamegeek. i could not stand this anymore, yuk hes been doing it for about 5 years now.

Lucas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so cute.. made my day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If only I could get him to use capitals. I would be a happy father...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.