BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games to play with your inlaws... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
My in-laws are coming over this afternoon and asked about plating one of these games we are always going on about.

Thoughts on what might be a good intro for a non gamer senior?

Their gaming experience is limited to playing cards.

My owned : http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Heisenberg?own=1&su...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Gareau
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride would be a good choice. I played with my non-gaming family and it was a huge hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kambria McLean
United States
Bay City
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My own in-laws like Wizard, Poison, and Incan Gold--I see you own Wizard but don't seem to enjoy it. Other candidates in your collection might be Dixit (my non-gaming family loves it), Apples to Apples, Carcassonne, Forbidden Island if you think you could effectively manage the co-op aspect without taking over, Pictionary, Scattergories, and perhaps Flash Point (I don't own it but have heard it's a great co-op gateway).

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plain vanilla Carcassonne would be my best recommendation. Simple rules, but an engaging game. Ticket to Ride (USA or Europe) is another good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over your games, I'd suggest either Apples to Apples or Carcassonne. Apples to Apples is incredibly easy to teach, maybe one minute of explanation?, and usually great for sparking conversations that go off on all kinds of tangents and for lots of laughter. Carcassonne is also very easy to explain, especially if you leave out placing farmers and concentrate on knights, thieves, and monks. That's how I introduced my non-gamer husband to the game. Less conversation and laughter, but more of a game.

Of course, everyone has the game Eat Poop You Cat, especially if it's laughter you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan
Dixit
Wizard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne or Wits and Wagers are both hits with my parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do Apples to Apples since I just don't see how that game is fun.

Wizard is pretty much just a card game and you want to move them beyond that.

Settlers would have to be a call on your part. It MAY be to complicated for your audience. Ticket To ride would be fine if you think they would be into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride, Dixit and Roborally have been hits with the inlaws. Some misses: Wyatt Earp, Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what sort of relationship you want with your inlaws.devil If you want to keep it harmonious, try something like Puerto Rico, 7 Wonders, or Catan. If not, there's always Diplomacy...laugh

BTW For seniors it might be best to avoid games with small print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start with something very simple that you like as well (rated 6 or higher). If you don't like it, they won't like it. Based on your collection, I recommend Apples to Apples or Dixit to start. If they like trivia, throw in Wits & Wagers.

If that goes over well, offer the choice of either a second play of the same game or a new game. If they go for a new game, try something from the next level - TTR Europe, Settlers, or Zooloretto are my recommendations.

Based on my personal experience with your collection, A2A has always been a hit with non-gamers. W&W has worked with some but not all people. Settlers has gone over well with about 50% of people interested in Euro games. Zooloretto has generally worked well, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Games to play with your inlaws...
Russian Roulette?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson

APO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
Russian Roulette?

You suck! Seriously! HAHA. As soon as I saw the subject line I quickly skimmed through hoping no one already made that suggestion! A day late and a dollar short...

Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, and Blockus were all big hits with my inlaws. So much that they had to go out and buy their own copies to play anytime they want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your collection, I'd go with base Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, or Flashpoint: Fire Rescue.

You also have some party games that would work. I'm specifically counseling against these because they're not what your inlaws asked to play. They want to see your kind of games. So, show them. Worst that can happen is that they don't like them, but to show them a party game deceives them and whether they like them or not - they'll still write off your hobby as being not much different from the normal party games everyone else plays. Stand proud and show them your real hobby! They may surprise you and actually enjoy them and want to see more - but they can't do that unless you give them the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Harcourt
United States
Greenville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Gun$devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kimes

Fort Wayne
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:
My in-laws are coming over this afternoon and asked about plating one of these games we are always going on about.

Thoughts on what might be a good intro for a non gamer senior?

Their gaming experience is limited to playing cards.

My owned : http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Heisenberg?own=1&su...

How old do you consider a Senior? The reason being I introduced my uncle and aunt to Power Grid and they are in their early 60's and they both picked it up quick and was an instant success. Plus I see Power Grid is one of your favorites.

You know your inlaws better than I but depending on the situation PG isn't really all that difficult

+ 1 for Power Grid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Wits & Wagers
+1 for Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to offer my suggestions but I don't think you can use what worked for my in laws as representative of what might work for all inlaws, it would be like saying that because I am a man who likes
beer then by the same logic all men must like beer which obviously is not true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kambria McLean
United States
Bay City
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:
I would like to offer my suggestions but I don't think you can use what worked for my in laws as representative of what might work for all inlaws, it would be like saying that because I am a man who likes
beer then by the same logic all men must like beer which obviously is not true.

No, but one can say, "When my kids were young, they liked to play with blocks, color, and run outside. If you can't think of anything else to do with your kids, try one of those suggestions." Not all people are the same, but the very presence of a "Hotness" list suggests that, just as many gamers like the same games, what works with one nongaming couple might work well with another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
From your collection, I'd go with base Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, or Flashpoint: Fire Rescue.

You also have some party games that would work. I'm specifically counseling against these because they're not what your inlaws asked to play. They want to see your kind of games. So, show them. Worst that can happen is that they don't like them, but to show them a party game deceives them and whether they like them or not - they'll still write off your hobby as being not much different from the normal party games everyone else plays. Stand proud and show them your real hobby! They may surprise you and actually enjoy them and want to see more - but they can't do that unless you give them the chance.

I have several friends and family members who often say, "Shane, let's play one of your games..." I perk up and get excited. Then they say "...but I don't want one of those 'strategy' games with lots of rules." I perk down and get not excited. What that means is they want a party game. Alas, I comply and take a game that they will enjoy--after all, I want it to be enjoyable for them. But in my mind, I'm dreaming of a real game ("real game" in my terms would be a heavier Euro, i.e. Brass, Through the Ages).

If my friends actually said, "Shane, let's play one of your games," and didn't didn't tack on the dreaded conditional, I'd run through that door and introduce them to one of "my" games.

So yeah, David is spot on here. Give them what they ask for.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced my parents to Dominion and they liked it. They never played any modern board games, but my dad likes Bridge a lot and they both have played most card games based around a standard deck of cards.

I think Ticket to Ride and Flash Point would work for my parents too.

Honestly I think Agricola would work too. It's not really that hard to explain. Everyone so far I've introduced has liked it and these were not gamers at the time. One person that doesn't like/get '7 Wonders' liked Agricola! I'd just stick with the family game to keep it simple though.

Kind of agree with David too on the 'your' games thing, but man I would love to play The resistance with my family if we had 5+ around! But you could always start with a longer one and if it doesn't go well or you want to get a quick game after play that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
So Travis, what did you play and how did it go?

I'm sure you didn't do anything ridiculus like introducing Agricola or Power Grid to total non-gamers, but I'm curious about the outcome. In my experience, to people that have only played traditional card games, even Ticket to Ride can be a leap. It's worked very well with those that are excited about player one of 'my games,' but I've also encountered a good deal of confusion, despite the game's apparent simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
So Travis, what did you play and how did it go?

I'm sure you didn't do anything ridiculus like introducing Agricola or Power Grid to total non-gamers, but I'm curious about the outcome. In my experience, to people that have only played traditional card games, even Ticket to Ride can be a leap. It's worked very well with those that are excited about player one of 'my games,' but I've also encountered a good deal of confusion, despite the game's apparent simplicity.

I was pushing for Kingdom Builder or Carc, but my wife chose Wits and Wagers. It went over very well, but I am convinced they could handle more strategy. Not a Heavy though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.