Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I was reading the leaders expansion instructions, and was a little saddened to find that, excepting the players picking leaders, the 'dummy/proxy' third player stayed the same.

I was thinking that the few cards such as courtesans' guild or various leaders (the one that turns back defeat tokens comes to mind, or caesar, imhotep) may see more use if the third player was able to use leaders in general. Using leaders to help build stages of the wonder if there is no better choice would be helpful in the final age with cards that reward VP for your neighbours getting stages of their wonder built.

I guess the main changes would be:
- third proxy player starts with six coins
- after each player chooses their leaders through drafting, the third player gets dealt four leaders for simplicity sake.
- recruitment phase would be changed by after choosing your leader, player 1 chooses a leader from the third player's hand to play in age 1 and three, player 2 chooses in age 2. Players then take alternating turns as usual when choosing which cards the third player plays.

In short, not giving the third player the option to use leaders (or use the leaders to get money/build a wonder stage) makes a small, but important fraction of the cards in 7 wonder either less effective or essentially useless. Thus, a few (hopefully intuitive) modifications would save the 2 player game from being shallower.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the first player to control the dummy player using just the base game has a slight advantage of controlling them more? By using the leaders recruitment phase, each human player should control the proxy player evenly (12 times each).

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
I found while playing Leaders and Cities, two player games make some leaders (and Guild Cards involving Leaders) a bit limited in power. Have you tried this variant yet? I would like to try this although perhaps implementing the below two-player draft variant rather than randomly dealing four cards:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9295682#9295682

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.