Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Help me figure out whether my friend might like this game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Cyborganizer
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reddit is having a "secret santa" gift exchange, and I've been "stalking" my giftee, trying to determine their likes and dislikes.

They say they love Cthulhu, they love co-op games, they have kids, and their spouse likes casual games and Euro-style games. In their profile, among their highly rated games are Fluxx and Arkham Horror, though they mention that Arkham Horror takes too much time to set up and play. They also seem to like RPGs.

I know a lot of buzz about this game has been pretty mixed, but based on that information, do you think this person might enjoy this game? I don't want to give away too much since they might figure out who they are...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he would like this game. It would play well with kids and spouse. The theme is thin but it is there.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes. It is not a perfect game, by any means, but for someone who is looking for a streamlined Arkham flavor, in pure co-op form, this is pretty much what you are looking at. Especially if they enjoy lighter fare.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCyborganizer wrote:
They say they love Cthulhu, they love co-op games, they have kids, and their spouse likes casual games and Euro-style games. In their profile, among their highly rated games are Fluxx and Arkham Horror, though they mention that Arkham Horror takes too much time to set up and play. They also seem to like RPGs.


Elder Sign hits all those selling points.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
TheCyborganizer wrote:
They say they love Cthulhu, they love co-op games, they have kids, and their spouse likes casual games and Euro-style games. In their profile, among their highly rated games are Fluxx and Arkham Horror, though they mention that Arkham Horror takes too much time to set up and play. They also seem to like RPGs.


Elder Sign hits all those selling points.


True.

Cthulhu: +1 (at least the theme, a bit)
Co-op: +1 (at least a bit)
kids: colored dice, plenty of those ... read this
casual: +1
Euro-style: What's that???
Arkham Horror: highly depends on your point of view; Elder Sign lives with far fewer game-mechanics, less strategy, a lot more luck (arguable)

Bottomline: Yeah, this game could (would?/ should?) be a good choice.

All the best.
AO
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like playing Elder Sign when there isn't enough time to play Arkham Horror.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Definitely a good option. I've had a lot of enjoyment out of Elder Sign, though there are some issues with the rules (mostly fixed in the FAQ).

For purposes of comparison: I'm a roleplayer and Call of Cthulhu is one of my favourite games. I like Fluxx and Euro-style games, and I've enjoyed Arkham Horror when I played it, but found it overlong and a bit overcomplex (though that may just be my inexperience).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cyborganizer
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I think I'm gonna go for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness might be a good idea too, although it's maybe a bit pricey fopr Secret Santa and also might take too long. The kids would probably like it more than Elder Sign, though.

Eco
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Ecosmith wrote:
The kids would probably like it more than Elder Sign, though.


Why do you think that?

(I haven't played Mansions of Madness, but I can't think what's child-unfriendly about Elder Sign that wouldn't apply to any Lovecraftian game.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Ecosmith wrote:
The kids would probably like it more than Elder Sign, though.


Why do you think that?

(I haven't played Mansions of Madness, but I can't think what's child-unfriendly about Elder Sign that wouldn't apply to any Lovecraftian game.)


Maybe ...

- the miniatures
- the Map
- more stuff
- the miniatures
- a lot more different things to do
- the miniatures ...

All the best!
Mad
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.