Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we played Arkham Horror it seemed that pretty quickly the sky became full of flying monsters. So much so that one player chose to do something about it. He stayed on the street and waited till the next monster movement phase for the flying monsters to attack him. There were 5 of these monsters in the sky and that's when another player expressed doubt about whether he could fight all of them or whether he could only fight one per turn. We could not find a rule for this so we allowed him to fight all the monsters in the sky. Thankfully he was able to defeat all of them and got 9 toughness worth of monster trophies out of it. The dissenting player insisted however that we had played it wrong and groaned for the rest of the game.

My logic for allowing him to play it this way was that he was forgoing an encounter to fight, he was voluntarily subjecting himself to combat which could kill him, and there was no reason to think that the monsters would not all try to attack him. The dissenting player's logic is that it gave the player an unfair advantage in collecting monster trophies and broke the game (despite the fact that we lost in the end.)

So my questions are did we play it right, and if so is there a rule cite covering this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how it should have gone down:

Player's movement: He goes and stands out in the street.
Mythos phase: Some of the flying monsters move to him. Not all of them! They still only move if their symbol is drawn (or if you get a gate burst card in the expansions). Do not fight any of the monsters now, it's not time for that.
NEXT TURN:
Player's movement phase: He fights or evades each of the monsters that moved to him on the previous turn. If he fights or fails to evade any of them, he's staying in the street this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost right.

The flying monsters will only move to his location if their movement symbol was in the Mythos card (or if it was a gate burst).

The monsters land on him in monster movement, but that does not immediately cause combat.

When it next comes his movement phase, he could either end his movement there, and would have to fight them at that point. Or, he could try to sneak out. Or, if someone moved before him, that player could have fought them first.

Edit: simultaneous answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it correctly. A player has to fight or evade all monsters in any location. So if he was in the street, and the correct movement symbol came up for all 5 to move to his location, he has to deal with them all. This would also be the case if he moved into a location with more than one monster.

Edit: see posts above mine. Fights only occur during the movement phase. Monsters never actually attack an investigator, they simply move to him. It is up to the investigator to fight or evade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Whalen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The holy dove, she will be caught again.
badge
Bought and sold, and bought again. The dove is never free.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the flying monster's movement symbol comes up on the Mythos Card, then the monster will attack someone in the streets. If a flying monster's symbol is not present on the Mythos Card, then it stays in the sky.

There is a new condition that causes all flying monster's to move. I believe that occurs when a gate burst is drawn, but those only occur in certain expansions. I'm not positive that a gate burst is responsible for moving all flying monsters, but I do know there is an expansion mechanic that does that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldw3076 wrote:
If the flying monster's movement symbol comes up on the Mythos Card, then the monster will attack someone in the streets. If a flying monster's symbol is not present on the Mythos Card, then it stays in the sky.

There is a new condition that causes all flying monster's to move. I believe that occurs when a gate burst is drawn, but those only occur in certain expansions. I'm not positive that a gate burst is responsible for moving all flying monsters, but I do know there is an expansion mechanic that does that.

Yep, they all move regardless of symbol when a gate burst is shown. Note that a sealed location does not have to actually burst to cause all flyers to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a follow up, if the Flying Monsters attack at the begining of the player's movement phase does that mean that the player is then prohibited from using his movement points afterwards? Because then it would seem that the player by choosing to fight monsters in the sky is potentially forgoing 2 encounters and 1 movement phase which doesn't seem right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

They attack a player in the same street when that player either tries to sneak out (and gets caught), or ends the movement there.

So, yes, one movement phase to go to the street, another to spend there and fight.

Or,use one player to lure monsters to the street, and on the next turn a player moving before him enters the street, ends movement, and kills (hopefully) the monsters, freeing the bait to go elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Whalen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The holy dove, she will be caught again.
badge
Bought and sold, and bought again. The dove is never free.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Monsters fly down and occupy the player's street area during the Mythos Phase. Therefore, at the start of the player's movement phase, the player must either fight the monsters and give up moving that turn or sneak by them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to have to House rule this situation for next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
ldw3076 wrote:
Flying Monsters fly down and occupy the player's street area during the Mythos Phase. Therefore, at the start of the player's movement phase, the player must either fight the monsters and give up moving that turn or sneak by them.

Maybe not correct-i.e, not at the start of the movement phase but at the end of the movement phase or at the end of movement.

"When an investigator attempts to move out of an area
containing a monster, or ends his movement in such an
area, he must either fight the monster or evade it."

The monsters attack when the players moves or attempts to move. He could, for example, read Tomes.

And maybe use the Migo Brain case: Movement: While in Arkham, exhaust and spend all of your movement points for the turn to swap places with another investigator or monster in Arkham. It's swapping, not moving.

Probably do anything that says "Instead of moving..." (If there is anything).

Probably NOT use Key of Tawil At'Umr: Movement: If you are in Arkham, discard Key of Tawil At'Umr to move to the Other World of your choice. If you are in an Other World, discard Key of Tawil At'Umr to return to Arkham.

Also, if a gate burst symbol appears, I move the flying monster to the sky and then if the the flying monster's symbol is on the card, then it can move to an investigator.

"Additionally, whenever a gate burst is drawn, all flying
monsters move, regardless of their dimensional symbol."

I take this to mean during the place monster subphase, ie, when the gate burst is drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
Just as a follow up, if the Flying Monsters attack at the begining of the player's movement phase does that mean that the player is then prohibited from using his movement points afterwards? Because then it would seem that the player by choosing to fight monsters in the sky is potentially forgoing 2 encounters and 1 movement phase which doesn't seem right.

I think the bolded part might be your problem; you know that you can't actually fight Monsters that are in the sky, right? You can only fight them if their movement brings them OUT of the sky and into a street. You can't just stop in a street and pick a fight with something that's sitting on the "sky" square.

Or, if you can, I've been playing this game COMPLETELY wrong. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't fight monsters while they're in the Sky.

There's one expansion item(The Lightning Gun) that lets you defeat all monsters in the Sky. A good way to earn a lot of trophies at once,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
I'm going to have to House rule this situation for next time.

It's your call, of course, but the rules as written work just fine; too much houseruling can eventually break the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
harlemsushi wrote:
I'm going to have to House rule this situation for next time.

It's your call, of course, but the rules as written work just fine; too much houseruling can eventually break the game.
If by "break" you mean "make it into a game other than Arkham Horror", then I agree totally. But that's OK with me so long as it's explained to new players so they don't get a shock if they eventually play RAW. The key thing (as I'm slowly learning) is to have fun playing a game that uses Arkham Horror components and rules as its starting point. For some, the start and end points are the same place, but for others they are a long way apart. (For the record, I play close to RAW)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.