Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 player varient rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
has anyone tried to adjust the 2 player game, to make it a bit more balanced? In my experience, in 2 player games, the merchant has a much better chance of winning than a pirate, because there is much less player interaction and threat to merchants, and more space to roam and trade, while the pirate has the same number of naval ships to avoid.

I dont have a ton of experience yet, but i was thinking of a varient to adjust for this. Perhaps 1 or 2 extra pirate boats could be added, to represent the missing players. They would move and act as NPC pirate do, and could use the non played color ships.
Perhaps they could start at a random location, determined by drawing a captain for them.
Or you could just add another pirate card slot on the board, and the 2 sloop or frigate pirate drawn fills that spot.

any thoughts? Anyone think that in 2player games, the merchant doesn't have an advantage?

thanks
Mateo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it easier because there is less competition when going after NYC merchants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
I find it easier because there is less competition when going after NYC merchants.

Yeah, those New York City merchants probably deserve it.
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me piracy would be way powerful in 2p because you could attack the other player, and gain an insurmountable lead. Once you've knocked the other player back you should have a wealth of advantages to become a runaway leader, since there isn't a third or fourth party to threaten or gang up on you.

Disclaimer: I don't own the game, so this is conjecture. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has been pretty balanced, though going pirate involves more luck (ie the random card draw) where I literally won in 4 rounds do to the massive amounts of glory/gold I got from the merchants, and another other time I got sunk the first time out (two hits to the hull on a sloop. This can be offset by buying the special weapons of course (which I always seem to forget to do). I would play it a bit more before toying with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Abbey
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mb
Although I do think that merchants may have a small advantage in a two player game, I think this can be offset by playing the cutthroat variant. Galleons with maneuverability 1 and off turn scouting kind of balance it out.

I play two player often, and it seems to be an even amount of pirate/ merchant wins. More often it comes down what captains you both draw, as there are some terrible pirate captains in a two player game. IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.