Subject: New Player Tips or Things you Don't have to learn the hard way rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Mountain
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
I am going into my first game of Paths of Glory soon against a person who states it is his favorite game. I would prefer to make a good showing and I am busy reading many of the rules and strategy discussions herein.

I realize there are many things you can only learn by playing a few games, and I look forward to that. But I thought I might ask directly: Are there things a new player is going to learn the hard way that if he was smarter than me, he might realize and adopt as early as his first game?

If you could think of something here or there, a tip that once you realized it improved your game, something that might help me along that learning curve, I would certainly appreciate anything you offer.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmy the Warmonger wrote:
I am going into my first game of Paths of Glory soon against a person who states it is his favorite game. I would prefer to make a good showing and I am busy reading many of the rules and strategy discussions herein.

I realize there are many things you can only learn by playing a few games, and I look forward to that. But I thought I might ask directly: Are there things a new player is going to learn the hard way that if he was smarter than me, he might realize and adopt as early as his first game?

If you could think of something here or there, a tip that once you realized it improved your game, something that might help me along that learning curve, I would certainly appreciate anything you offer.

Thanks.

First pause before every card to check your lines of supply. Make sure you cannot be put out of supply by tracing a secure path from a supply source to all your spaces. In the West supply comes from London through any port space. In the east it is the 4 RU supply spaces. You will want a line of units from Paris through Melun and Bar de Luc or Chateau Theirry to your fortresses in Belfort, Nancy and Verdun. It takes a couple games to really be aware of OOS risks. Next you will want to play a steady stream of Reinforcement cards. You can only play 1 per country per turn. Getting your armies out covers more spaces and eases supply problems. You will want to commit a high Ops card or maybe two to play for replacements to rebuild dead units. If you have cards that icrease your war status you will want to play the for the event, for the most part, at least until you add the cards in the Total War deck, which is added after your war status reaches 11. Finally you will take some Ops. Be aware of which is your mandatory Offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Priorities:

(1) Don't get into an OOS situation

(2) Advance War Status

(3) Advance War Status

(4) Play enough replacements

(5) Everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game Sunday, against a very capable opponent and indeed my downfall was not keeping very good track of supply lines. He was even giving me warnings of moves I made that would put my units out of supply. But then finally as my Germans continued to hammer away at his line in France, he pounced on an opening I'd left and put my ENTIRE LINE out of supply.

Being out of supply is brutal. You are not even allowed to activate those units to get them back into supply. So, yes, to echo what Ted has said, take your time and look at the supply lines. Hopefully you will have as great and fair an opponent as i did and he will help you from making big errors as far as that goes.

Lots of other stuff to keep in mind as you play. Forts and trenches are HUGE for the defenders. Dig in when you can.

Play you're War Status cards early.

Remember that you have Combat Cards, these will help you in battle some of them will even help when you are DEFENDING.

You do want to set aside at least one good card for Replacement Points. He taught me that it was smarter to play them on the 5th turn as opposed to the 6th because the 6th will be your last chance to get yourself out of any terrible jams that may befall you late in the turn.

The biggest thing that I came away from the game with is that Paths is really a battle of attrition, there weren't a lot of striking, decisive victories to be had. But a lot of bloody battles where both of us took damage and then would have to be prepared to right this damage with fresh troops or repositioning. Constant aggression didn't seem to work for me, he hung in and took it and waited for me to over extend myself (I had a bunch of German reinforcements racing to Italy and all those juicy VP spaces, when I really could have used them to plug that hole on the French line)

You are in for a 12 round heavyweight slugfest, let the game unfold, try to exploit small openings he may leave you but don't forget to think defensively too.

Lastly, have a blast. It is a great game. Just writing this has me so amped to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mountain
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
Excellent Tips and advice so far. I appreciate every bit of it.

General question though, should I opt for the Allies or the Central Powers for my first game? I can imagine they are balanced between experienced opponents but may not be as easy for a new player. Specifically of interest is that in a tournament game the winning bidder gets the Allies but the amount he bids is added to the VP total making it harder for Allies to win. Indicating that the Allies may have a bit of an advantage if they are that desirable.

I am sure my experienced opponent will be magnanimous enough to let me play either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like to take the initiative, play the CP. If you think of yourself as a counter puncher, play the AP. Don't worry about balance at this point, because the experienced player will win anyway. It makes more sense to pick the side that fits your personality. After a game or two with that side, you can switch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mountain
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
See, exactly what I was looking for. Obvious advice, play the side with the style you prefer, that was completely escaping me.

Now, to show that all of your advice actually sinks in a bit, since I am a natural attacker, I think I will go with the Allies for my first game. Yes, that is opposite of the last piece of advice, but here is my reasoning: I am more of a risk taker/attacker but my early attention should be on supply and mechanics. This means I should probably skip over the attacking side. I have a tendency to advance a bridge too far from time to time and having the CP might be more than I can handle when I should be paying attention to more basic things until I am an expert in the game. You know, like turn 2, maybe 3 even.

I'll try to keep notes and do a newbie learning game session report so others can laugh as they reminisce about how nice it is not to be that bad any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll try to keep notes and do a newbie learning game session report so others can laugh as they reminisce about how nice it is not to be that bad any more.

Would love that. I won't laugh but am now officially curious as to what your experience will be. Things you may do that I can consider or learn from.

Trenches, Jimmy..trenches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Study the card decks before the game so that you know what is coming up, and which cards need to be played in order to play other cards later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mountain
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Study the card decks before the game so that you know what is coming up, and which cards need to be played in order to play other cards later.

Funny, I was doing just that when I thought I might check to see if anything else had been offered.

I think I'm going to win this one. Strangely it always comes as a big surprise when I lose any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mountain
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
Question came up while reading through other strategy threads.

From CP1 Guns of August there is this:

Riku Riekkinen wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
Disadvantages:

GoA offers AP a chance (what rare people miss) to play Rape of Belgium. So the AP too has more options on how to reach the limited war.

I think you're giving this one to little credit:
If you don't play GoA, you still have a chance of being in LW by the start of the 3rd turn, while you are certain the AP will not reach LW before start turn 4 (due to the combination of WS on both the BR reinf cards and the rules that on the first turn no reinf. may enter the game and only 1 reinf/country/turn from then on).

Yes, but only if your opponent messes up with Moltke. Usually you can count they don't do that (if they have played a couple of games).

What does Riku mean when he says "messes up with Moltke"?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What does Riku mean when he says "messes up with Moltke"?

Thanks again.

I mean AP plays Moltke as an event before CP has used Falkenhayn (as OPs/RPs/SR) in the early war. Thus allowing CP to play Falkenhayn in the early war as an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The CP War Status cards in the Mobilization deck include Guns of August (2), Falkenhayn (2), Reichstag Truce (1) and the Russian fort card (1). If you don't play GoA, you need all the others to get to Limited War. But Falkenhayn is not playable in the first two turns unless the AP plays Moltke. Thus, unless the AP messes up and plays Moltke, the CP can't get to LW in August or September if they skip GoA.

I'll point out that, though I don't recall the name of the last WS card, I know the calculation without looking anything up. If you play the game much, you will have to learn to do this calculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
It's OberOst
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Almost every time, playing events is better than playing ops. Events are long-term investments.

I've won lots of games that looked pretty dicey at first because the other guy kept throwing ops at me while I kept playing events.

Whenever I start a turn, I think like this :

"What can I play by event, what can't I play by event"

Every turn where I don't have an opportunity for damage or a threat to counter, I play an event. War status > Reinforcement > Other thing. All the time, hardly matters what it is.

I try to only play ops on cards that I can't use as events, such as too many reinforcements of the same kind, CCs.

About the only things I don't play as events are 4 pointer events or poor quality or threepointer events of no use. Two pointer events have to go, even if they don't do anything, just so I don't draw them again.

Lastly, I try to get rid of all my starred combat cards ASAP, usually taking a one op to get rid of them if the ops aren't crucially needed otherwise. The faster they go, the more hands with lots of ops I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.