Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Caylubration III is going to be the biggest and the best edition yet!

What is Caylubration III?

Caylubration III is the third annual worldwide celebration of Caylus. It is an event where board gamers around the world all try to play at least one game of Caylus. Rekindle that love of Caylus or discover Caylus for the first time.

What’s in it for me?

Our sponsor www.boardofplaying.com is offering an out of print hard to find Caylus Special Edition to one lucky winner as well as other wonderful prizes! Simply sign up at www.boardofplaying.com and play one game of Caylus during the week to be eligible.

A random member of the Caylubration III guild will earn the title of "International Caylus Ambassador" and earn a huge (metaphorical) sack of at least 150 real (virtual) geekgold! So join and participate in our guild here!

OK, so you are giving out stuff, what else is going on?

Episode 31 of the Ludology podcast (www.ludology.net) will feature an interview with William Attia the designer of Caylus

The Caylubration III guild is a place for you to list where in the world you will be playing Caylus and to meetup with other Caylus lovers online!

Boardofplaying.com has created many awesome "Caylubration" Tshirts with 5 different clever catchphrases to choose from which are available here!

Lee Harris has organized a tile design contest [geeklist=137999]which will make available promotional tiles for Caylus![/geeklist]

But I don’t even know how to play Caylus, can I participate?

Yes please do! Ask a friendly game enthusiast to teach you the game during the week. Or let Ryan teach you the game on, The How to Play Podcast from episode #15

Make May 14th-20th 2012 a week for Caylus! You will be glad you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The building competition closed on April 14th... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, how could i have missed this for the past 2 years!! No joke, just this morning I told my wife I was excited to teach two of my friends how to play Caylus. Now I have the perfect excuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our interview with William Attia, designer of Caylus has just been released. The full text interview is now available as a geeklist here. or listen to Geoff and I discuss the interview on the ludology podcast. (www.ludology.net)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what the hell Ryan i can't get the men's shirt in pink... sad = (
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly North Adams
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:
what the hell Ryan i can't get the men's shirt in pink... sad = (

There's a nice shade of purple available... :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for another excuse to get a few of my friends in on this wonderful game.
We had our game tonight. It was 3 player and I had one guy who had played with me last year and another friend who had never played it. It was a tight game throughout with a lot more Provost moving than we had last year. I ended up pulling out the win but it was a nice, close game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 2p-er last night, hoping for another game before the week is out. Long live the King!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great 5 player game last night. Three players had never played before, but had played Lords of Waterdeep and are, as far as I can tell, pretty experienced gamers. It lasted 3 hours, which is at least a half hour too long, but overall it was a blast. There were several provo-jackings, a good number of "oh crap, I wanted to buy a favor but forgot I don't have cloth yet", and one "if I had only passed instead of taking a useless spot, I would have had the money I needed to buy the one cube I needed to build the prestige building that would have won me the game."

One of the provo-jackings involved me spending 3 deniers to screw myself out of a stone forest activation, but preventing one player from getting gold and the other from building a prestige building. I had really only played on the stone forest because I owned it and it was a cheap way to avoid passing, but it was a tough decision anyway. Not 100% sure if it was worth it.

The three new players caught on quickly - two of them finished first and second. I finished third after my building track strategy didn't really pay off (since it was a 5 player game, there were a lot of wood buildings cluttering the road, and I had trouble getting enough favors to really hammer the building track - exactly the same scenario that I've used to argue that the building and cube track are pretty well balanced in 5p, despite being way out of whack in 2p). The other player who had played before finished last. He was doing pretty well filling the castle sections (I think he had 4 or 5 houses in the Wall section, which is pretty impressive for 5p), but I think it was getting late at the end because he had a bunch of those "oh shit, I didn't do this in the right order" moments. It happens to all of us at times, so of course he was derided mercilessly. devil

The player who screwed herself out of a prestige building was one of the new players. I was pretty impressed that on a first play she had a) shown enough understanding and strategy to set herself up for a complex series of plays that would lead to winning the game, and b) implemented the highly advanced maneuver of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by a careless placement. Well done!

Her husband or boyfriend (not sure which) won the game, mostly with solid play throughout. He got a lot of VP from his wood buildings and finished by building the Cathedral.

I made a number of comparisons to Lords of Waterdeep - how the little ownership tokens that fit into the building tiles in LoW are so nice because they don't block information like the houses in Caylus. How there's only one "quest" in Caylus, but it has varying rewards. How the Gate is like Waterdeep Harbor with no Intrigue cards (not surprisingly, it was not used at all this game - I think it's very useful in 2p, situational in 3p, but virtually useless in 5p). Mostly how Waterdeep might be a little more fun because it's more streamlined and approachable, but Caylus is such a great, deep game.

I'm pretty sure everyone had a lot of fun, but I think we will all prefer to play 3p or 4p next time. 3 hours is a long time for a game that requires this much concentration and strategery.

(Several edits: holy terrible grammar and spelling Batman, and added a few details)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a 3er last night. My partner and I were neck and neck, and our third was a friend of ours who had only played twice before. He was doing quite well early on, but didn't take advantage of his position as first player to grab the gold mine once it became available, and by the end of the game the fact that I could build blue buildings catapulted me into the lead, far past him and just past my partner who had been provosted out of the resources for 3 castle batches on the final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Maletic
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Caylubratino goes through the 20th, why on earth would the contest end already? I was a bout the join the celebration and sign up on their website, but despite being spread the word about this during the week of Caylusbration (which seems the point) I find myself too late and ever more aware that the online world hardly ever makes anything that jives with the timing that my real life lives in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madcow270 wrote:
I find myself too late and ever more aware that the online world hardly ever makes anything that jives with the timing that my real life lives in...

I find myself ever more aware that the "online world" will complain about anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
madcow270 wrote:
I find myself too late and ever more aware that the online world hardly ever makes anything that jives with the timing that my real life lives in...

I find myself ever more aware that the "online world" will complain about anything.

Y'know, I'll admit that I was also thrown when I said to myself, "Okay, it's Caylubration week, time to search BGG", found that link, and then found that the contest was already over. So I have to agree with madcow here that when running a contest based around a week of celebration, having it end before said week can be confusing and an unpleasant surprise for celebrants.

That being said, I'm not complaining; I played some Caylus this week, and it remains a great game. If other people entered the early bird contest and win stuff, more power to them. I already own a copy of Caylus, so I'm good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls