8 Posts

In the Year of the Dragon» Forums » General

Subject: How is this game 2-player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
msg tools
mb
My friend has a copy and we played 4-player. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but was wondering if it's still just as good of a game with 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It really isn't. Way too much depends on the luck of the shuffle each round when you lay out the possible action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
It really isn't. Way too much depends on the luck of the shuffle each round when you lay out the possible action cards.

I disagree, but to each their own.

I will say this game dramatically changes based on the number of players though, which I like quite a bit.

You can always try it over on boardgamearena.com and see what you think for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I play this game primarily 2-player with my wife, and I think it is quite a good game with 2. That said, I am not sure that it is as good with 2 as it is with more. Certainly there are some things that are lost (in particularly, your options with the people power track are more limited). But there is still a lot of strategy and tactics; I say that after probably 50 or so 2-player plays.

There is a fair amount of luck in how the cards come out, but I think that is also true with more players.

The main selling point for us is the fact that our two player games only take us about 30 minutes to play. With a baby in the house, that time frame is key. Sure, we would rather play luck-free Caylus (which takes us closer to 2 hours), but more often we play Year of the Dragon instead. And it's well worth playing - it packs a lot of strategy into those 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

Yes, and you're meant to overcome that randomness (not "luck", strictly speaking) by being in the right position on the order track. If you are not, then its your play that is weak... sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
gamesbook wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

Yes, and you're meant to overcome that randomness (not "luck", strictly speaking) by being in the right position on the order track. If you are not, then its your play that is weak... sorry!

Hey, no need to abuse someone for not liking luck (or "randomness", if you prefer). It's just a preference, and there's nothing in it to suggest that their play is weak.

Sure, part of the game is about managing the randomness of the action cards. But successfully managing it is not the same as eliminating it. For example, if you are ahead on the track at a critical juncture, this will guarantee that you won't crash and burn. Fine. But it still makes a big difference whether the action that you need and the action that your opponent wants are in the same stack so that you can block him, or separate stacks so that you can't. In the latter case, bad luck for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

wow - if this were true then it would be hard to explain there various play skill levels that have been statistically proven by the tournaments run here through mabiweb.com...

there are a few players that RARELY lose 2 player... statistics, the last time i checked, seemed to indicate at least 3, maybe 4 skill levels.

and anyone that thinks the luck of the draw unduly influences the out come should try playing some of the better players there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miklos kuti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorite games, but when I played it as a 2 player game it felt like it just became a race on the turn-order track, so I don't play it any longer at this scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.