Subject: Fix Warped Tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
What are you guys doing to remedy warped tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well according to some of the gits here you obviously are either lying, or bent them yourself...

The rest of us suggest a few possible methods. They may work, they may not.

One is to place some moisture absorbers with the tiles while they are pressed under books or another weight for several days.

Another is to lightly moisten the edges and then press then for several days.

Lastly you can try pressing the pieces under a steam iron covered with cloth. This ones the iffiest. Light steam then press them flat under weights like heavy book for at least a day, preferrably several.

No matter how you try, its likely going to take several days of pressing to have any chance. And theres no guarantee that they wont re-warp. Some do, some dont. Theres no ryme or reason to whats causing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
No matter how you try, its likely going to take several days of pressing to have any chance. And theres no guarantee that they wont re-warp. Some do, some dont. Theres no ryme or reason to whats causing it.

It's simple. During production, they were soaked in Games Workshop's hatred toward its customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I stash Space Hulk towards the back of my gaming closet. In the corner of shame. Haven't found a remedy for either my frustration with buying the thing nor the horribly warped tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried ironing mine through a towel a while back, using lots of steam, then keeping them under heavy books for ~12 hours. It's definitely a wash-rinse-repeat procedure, as it will take several passes to get them flatter.

It did work initially, but the warping did come back on some of the tiles. My set overall seems to mostly be ok, as the worst warping is on the status display and some of the large room tiles. The corridors, small junctions, end pieces, and tokens are pretty flat overall.

At this point, I've sort of just accepted the fact that the tiles do what they do. I was thinking it would be awesome if GW did a Kickstarter project for SH replacement tiles (that were manufactured properly). I'm sure it would be funded quickly, and GW wouldn't be hedging their bets on whether or not they'd be able to get the money to do it. Nevertheless, it's GW, so one can dream...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
The space hulk has been floating through space slamming into other giant pieces of wreckage for hundreds of years. The warping is thematic. Quit whining and go torch some aliens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Crimso wrote:
What are you guys doing to remedy warped tiles?

Warping? Why, good sir, those aren't warped. They are intentionally twisted as it was part of their plan to make multilevel space hulk.

Sadly, that expansion was dropped in 1993 and GW forgot that the multilevel idea was no longer planned.

Either that, or you are all obviously lying and/or bent them yourselves.

That was Necromunda...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could take a gamble and pay the current price for a set on Amazon for a mere $309.99 (!). I just bought a copy for half that and most of the tiles have warp problems. I guess I didn't spend enough and got a cheap copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been lucky and not had any significant warping.

There are a number of threads regarding this issue where folks go into great detail on how they fixed their tiles. One fellow even had a pictoral post in great detail. A quick search ought to find it for you.

Enjoy the game!

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried with several methods. Finally, the most effective is to bend and roll against a round container, like a can. Be careful on small pieces, if you bend too hard, it will snap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.