Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Just had the most amazing 2 player game of Innovation. It started fairly tamely, with me getting a few cards in my score pile and taking the 1 and 2 era achievements, and then us both ramping up on technology for a bit, rapidly getting to era 6, and dumping lots of cards back in the earlier score piles (and both jumping era 4 bizarrely). Then we had a mid-game flurry where my husband was trying to splay all his piles for that achievement, but struggling with yellow, while I was dumping cards in my score pile and took two more achievements, my husband taking 1 of them, and one of the other globals.

Now it comes down to a see-saw back and forth. I have four achievements to his two, but he has the more aggressive cards, and as fast as I put cards in my score pile he removes them. Meanwhile I keep dumping cards in both our score piles, then melding lots of lower level cards on top of our piles to reduce our position. I finally manage to reorder my purple pile, and manage to claim the global achievement for having all non-purple cards 6 or higher. 5-2 to me - only one more needed - but I'm still struggling to get cards in my score pile.

Eventually my husband steals a card from my hand to splay his yellow pile right - one more achievement to him. 5-3. He then draws a card and realises he has three of all symbols if he plays it - 5-4 to him, and we're both in era 10 but with almost nothing in my score pile. I eventually get to the situation where I have 29 in my score pile (I need 30 to score), and have 11 blue clocks visible - two possible ways to score an achievement next turn, and both very likely. So my husband decides to activate Fission - he gets two activations, as I have more of the symbol than him - and the second card is red - BOOOOOOMMM!

World blown up, cards in box, and we're left with an absolutely huge pile of era 1 cards, only a couple of 2s, lots of 4s and 5s, and then a jump up to one 7, a few 9s and about half the 10 pile. It's just a case of who can dump more in their scorepile at game end - neither of us are likely to get 30 in there to score an achievement. Got very tense at this point! My husband took the early lead, dumping a combination of 1s and 5s in. I meanwhile can't do much but drawing and meld cards over and over again. Then my husband melds me a card through an ability - and I finish the game with it - using it to tuck my whole hand and score the remainder of the cards in the game as a result! Phew!!!!!!! That has to be the tensest, and closest, game of Innovation yet!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatsGobbles wrote:
sa266 wrote:

So my husband decides to activate Fission - he gets two activations, as I have more of the symbol than him - and the second card is red - BOOOOOOMMM!

Fission is a demand dogma; your husband shouldn't have been able to trigger it if he had less clocks than you!

Party pooper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatsGobbles wrote:
sa266 wrote:

So my husband decides to activate Fission - he gets two activations, as I have more of the symbol than him - and the second card is red - BOOOOOOMMM!

Fission is a demand dogma; your husband shouldn't have been able to trigger it if he had less clocks than you!

Thanks for pointing that out - somewhere along the line we've started playing demand cards wrong (we're still quite new at the game - I thought they were working a bit oddly!). I'll know in future - but it was a lot more fun blowing up the world, rather than just me winning next turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.