CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hump day question. Lets say you had your choice of opening a small/medium sized business. What would you like to open? And to make it more difficult, and chit-chatty, lets strike out the typical Game/Comic book store.

I think my dream business would have to be a summer camp. I used to love going to camp, and have always thought it would be a cool business. Canoeing, Hiking, Disc golf, Archery, Team Building, and cooking hotdogs and s'mores by the fireside.

Camp Chapa-wa-wa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camp Wolfe Chapel?

Mine would be a landscaping business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small publishing company. Or possibly an indie record label.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, the only economically useful skill I have is computer programming. So I'd pretty much set up a business where I do what I do right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd retrofit a former mill as an indoor frisbee golf course.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
A small computer repair store or maybe a sandwich burrito shop.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Language software company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
A small computer repair store or maybe a sandwich shop.

Not burritos?! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
If I didn't have to worry about it making much money: Pool Hall / Brew Pub

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
High-end brothel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Small one-screen movie theater which runs classic films. Probably would struggle to be profitable, but it would be spectacular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nature/Landscape photography taking photos of stuff like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arts gallery, trying to sell something like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would open something similar to TechShop (http://www.techshop.ws/). Basically a workshop with a lot of expensive/specialty tools. 3D printers, CNC machines, a Machine shop, Large format printers, heavy-duty sewing machines, etc. A place where people can pay a monthly membership fee and be able to have access to the machines, a clean space to work, and other people to bounce ideas off of/collaborate with.

To supplement the membership income, I'd also offer classes for particular equipment/techniques, a small storefront selling tools and consumables, and run a consignment store for people's used tools and equipment or things they've made in the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb

Gun store. Most of the ones around here have decent hours, 10:00 AM to 6:00 on weekdays and closed Sunday. Ones with indoor ranges are open Sunday but closed another week day. I would not have a public indoor range -liability insurance is higher and they almost always face zoning opposition. I

EDIT: I had managed a retail store for 16 years before getting into business to business copier/printer sales in 1990. I have a reasonable amount of handgun knowledge. I'd probably have to hire me a long gun guy if I wanted to get into hunting rifles and sporting shotguns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common sense consultant. People would pay me to slap them when they're not using common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss this out there, I thought this was a brilliant (at one time original) idea. I just checked Google and learned once again to have an original idea now-a-days is next to impossible.

I always wanted to open a laundromat/sports bar/pub. When I was younger and had to go to a laundromat it was a misrable experience. Only thing on TV was soap opras. I hated the kids running around screaming completely neglected by useless parents.

I would have killed to be able to wash my clothes, have a beer, watch a game, and have some lunch all at the same time in the same place. Here in RI there is a concentration of colleges and universities in a small area. This type of business would make a killing if it was central to the schools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
I'll toss this out there, I thought this was a brilliant (at one time original) idea. I just checked Google and learned once again to have an original idea now-a-days is next to impossible.

I always wanted to open a laundromat/sports bar/pub. When I was younger and had to go to a laundromat it was a misrable experience. Only thing on TV was soap opras. I hated the kids running around screaming completely neglected by useless parents.

I would have killed to be able to wash my clothes, have a beer, watch a game, and have some lunch all at the same time in the same place. Here in RI there is a concentration of colleges and universities in a small area. This type of business would make a killing if it was central to the schools.

There used to be one near the University of Cincinnati, called Sudsy Mallone's. Laundromat/Bar with live music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

There used to be one near the University of Cincinnati, called Sudsy Mallone's. Laundromat/Bar with live music.

I would open a "Tan and Wash". Wash clothes and get a tan in our FDA approved tanning beds!

(Inspiration by Norm Peterson)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
I'd retrofit a former mill as an indoor frisbee golf course.

meeple

It would be tough to beat Borderlands. Have you tried the new one in Ninigret park? it's supposed to be good.

We need one behind the Monastery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably:
1) A non-typical game store (that is, a gaming bar)
2) Specialty beer store
3) Mixology antique store
4) Any profitable venture that I could either sell or pass off the day to day running of, so I could go lose money on a game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness:

A food trailer.

Menu: Wings. Fries, Chips, Soda, Tea. The wings would have a few sauce or dry spice options. And varying levels of heat for certain flavors.

Also, re-establish an old long forgotten local burger chain that was the #1 burger place around here in the 70's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd open a diner/bookstore. When I was in Boston on business about a decade ago, I happened upon this place near Boston College which was a bookstore (new and used) and also had a well lit diner. The place was packed with pre-med and other students, and the food was all well done comfort food. And licensed to sell beer to boot.

That or a bakery.

Or a specialty wine shop. People don't go into specialty wine stores unless they're planning on buying something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly (and this is probably sad as hell) all I've ever wanted to do was draw or write comic books. Since that was ruled out at a fairly early age (my art never progressed beyond a certain point and my posting skills should give you an idea about my writing) my fallback dream was the comic/game store. Anything else is just a job to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Girl Scout Camp near by that my wife thinks the they may end up selling soon. It's her favorite.

There's a 'natural' heart shaped pool with a spring and a 'small mill' that's has a room upstairs and a lodge.

We were joking about buying it and making a 'green resort' out of it. Problem is I don't much like the 'outdoors'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.