Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Sequences of Leaders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
A lot of games have combos. An unusual aspect of TTA is that you can't have two leaders at the same time, but there are some sets of leaders that combine successfully in sequences.

Colonization track: Julius Caesar - Christopher Columbus - James Cook - Albert Einstein

Caesar's extra military action gives you a better chance to draw colonies to seed and/or win for free with Columbus. Columbus can get you a very nice colony without competition. Cook scores points off those colonies. In addition Caesar is a good leader to keep all through Age I and Cook through Ages II and III, so Columbus fits perfectly as a leader you keep just for 1 turn.

I picked Albert Einstein for the Age III leader just because he's a good pick for any strategy where you're going to keep your Age II leader until Age IV. Most leaders' best benefit is a per-turn benefit, but Einstein's best ability is the bonus 3 points for discovering techs. You can save up a lot of science and techs in hand, and elect him and score a pile of points just in the last turn of the game.

Frederick Barbarossa and Genghis Khan are also possible Age I leaders in the sequence. Barbarossa allows you to quickly replace units used for colonization. Genghis gives you the option to colonize with 1 unit that has 3 strength. That will beat any other 1-unit force in Age I. It probably won't be enough to win the most desirable colonies, but you might be able to get several of the weak colonies.

Moses - Michelangelo - Napoleon Bonaparte - Albert Einstein

Moses gets your population going. You will need happy faces. Michelangelo scores points from the happy faces. You can often get quite a lead, especially if you can get him early and keep him throughout Ages I and II. To defend yourself from military players trying to counter your lead, you elect Napoleon in late Age II or Age III. Then play Albert Einstein for 1 turn in Age IV and score some points.

Alternatively, you might go with a defensive Age III leader instead of Napoleon. Mahatma Gandhi is the most obvious choice, but a determined player will get 6 military actions and still be able to play major wars against you. Still it slows them down, since they probably can't declare a war and build up their military in the same turn. Winston Churchill is another option. With him you usually can't avoid taking any damage from aggressions and wars, but you can limit it to a small amount. If you are going directly from Michelangelo to an Age III leader, then Maximillien Robespierre is effective as an Age II leader that you can keep just for 1 turn.

Science track: Aristotle - Leonardo da Vinci - Isaac Newton - Sid Meier

Pretty obvious. Aristotle encourages you to pick up techs. His science bonus alone is not enough to pay for them all; Leonardo's helps. You also have enough spare science points to upgrade to each level of Lab tech instead of skipping ages, so you always maximize your bonus from Leonardo and Newton. Once you draw Sid Meier, you already have at least 2 or 3 Scientific Methods. You quickly upgrade those to Computers. You can take Sid Meier's science penalty without blinking an eye and score a lot of points. In any case you've already got a pretty high level of technology and don't necessarily need to discover more.

Einstein is a second choice for an Age III leader, but I think Sid Meier scores more points.

Any you have found successful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've toyed with the idea of an "arts/entertainment" line, something like:

Homer + Michelangelo + Shakespeare + Elvis

The key would be not to push Mike's advantage. A single early Drama and St. Pete's would be pretty strong. If you could grab Journalism and combine it with the Drama, Shakespeare would be viable. Then Movies + Elvis in Ages III-IV. I think the only way it would work is if you only invested in one lab or theater and used the rest of your pop/resources to keep up in military. You'd generate something like 6-10 culture per turn throughout the entire game with minimal infrastructure.

I think things would have to work out in exactly the right order, but obviously the "artistic" leaders are designed to have some synergy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It isn't exciting from a combo perspective, since he's just the best leader period, but Napoleon works best with Michelangelo. Michelangelo is probably going to be weak in military so Napoleon can save him just when he needs it most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
You also have enough spare science points to upgrade to each level of Lab tech instead of skipping ages, so you always maximize your bonus from Leonardo and Newton.

It would be better to skip an Age in Lab tech and fill it in with Libraries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:

It would be better to skip an Age in Lab tech and fill it in with Libraries.

Yes, I really like going from 4 science to 8 science/2 culture with one Journalism and Newton. It often comes at a point in the game where I've finally built up my infrastructure and want to start churning out culture points. I almost never take Scientific Method, unless I was shut out of Alchemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
montu wrote:
I've toyed with the idea of an "arts/entertainment" line, something like:

Homer + Michelangelo + Shakespeare + Elvis

The key would be not to push Mike's advantage. A single early Drama and St. Pete's would be pretty strong. If you could grab Journalism and combine it with the Drama, Shakespeare would be viable. Then Movies + Elvis in Ages III-IV. I think the only way it would work is if you only invested in one lab or theater and used the rest of your pop/resources to keep up in military. You'd generate something like 6-10 culture per turn throughout the entire game with minimal infrastructure.

I think things would have to work out in exactly the right order, but obviously the "artistic" leaders are designed to have some synergy.

I like how Homer fits the theme, but I'm not sure how he fits strategically, other than he scores points. He encourages you to build military, the others to build theaters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Mak
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Playing BGO: Global, I was against Mikey and came back with a combo:
Mieszko I -> Cook

Mieszko I (Age A, +2 MA) was good to cycle through events (and seed colonies). Then I grabbed cartography, and sprung my trap near the end of Age 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Mak
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Little-known combo:
(none) -> (none) -> Bach -> (none)

usually leads to a landslide victory.

There is no doubt in my mind as to the power of this combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about....

Moses, Kahn, Cook, Churchill.
Moses for workers,
Kahn for the knights 3 str for territories
Cook for the bonus
Churchill for any wars declaried on you, and hopeful protect your culture

Or...

Moses, Joan, Cook, Ghandi
Moses workers
Joan Temples = Army, sacrafice military for territories and if you get attacked +5 culture
Cook for bonus
Ghandi to make it harder for wars, and aggressions

Or...

Alexander, Kahn, Newton, Einstein/Sid
you start off military, and switch to science

I can think of 100s of ways to make each leader work with the other, and that is the beauty of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.