Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two first time gamers coming to my game night this week. One of them has never played anything more than Monopoly, and the other knows about Axis & Allies and hates it.

I want to give them a good experience and not throw anything to complicated their way. I know I can't go wrong with Ticket to Ride and Small World. However, I have a bunch of unplayed games in my closet, and I want to play something new. I am willing to forgo a new game to give these guys a good experience. Heck, I want to make sure they have a good time, and hopefully come back.

So, what do you guys think?

What about Bootleggers, Alien Frontiers, Belfort, or Homesteaders. Would these be good first time games?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I would do.

I would show them the games YOU are interested in vs TTR & SW, and see if they express an interest. What didn't the person like about Axis & Allies? Let them peruse the titles at the end of your post with you explaining a bit about how they play, and let them decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of these Alien Frontiers is pretty accessible - I would go with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that stick out in your list for me are Blockus and Power Grid. I've had all sorts of people play Power Grid, and they all like it. Except the heavy gamer who doesn't like economic games.

I've also had great success getting people to play Metropolys, but I see that's not in your collection. It's simple and engaging. Had a group of people who had never played anything but chess or "normal" card games ask to play again immediately after finishing the first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can't go wrong with TtR or Small World, I'd go with that. I don't see a need to push hard on their very first game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if those last 4 are new games that you want to try out, then I would recommend against it. You want new players to have a great experience, so go with games that you know how to play. Nothing will turn off a new gamer than having to constantly check rulebooks, or even play a game incorrectly because of a mis-understood rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ricketson
United States
Angel Fire
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Alien Frontiers - everyone we have introduced this to has had a good time with it.

Agree entirely though with willythesnitch - don't roll this out to first timers (pun intended) unless you have played through the game first and are totally familiar with the rules - if you want to give these guys a good experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
And if those last 4 are new games that you want to try out, then I would recommend against it. You want new players to have a great experience, so go with games that you know how to play. Nothing will turn off a new gamer than having to constantly check rulebooks, or even play a game incorrectly because of a mis-understood rule.

Yep. This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd allays err on the side of caution.

If you are at all iffy with how they feel about games I'd play it safe and go with a good gateway game. I remember I tried introducing people to Agricola because I like it but enough players were too overwhelmed and we ended up just switching to Settler of Catan.

Sure it doesn't hurt to suggest other games but be up front that some games are easier to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
willythesnitch wrote:

Yep. This.

Oh yes!! I meant to stipulate that in my answer. Make sure the games you present are games you are VERY familiar with and can teach well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Play TTR and Small World. Not because they're newbie friendly, not because they're the best games ever (I certainly don't think so) but because they are two of YOUR favorite games, based on your 10 ratings. That's what's going to have everyone having a good time - a game you love that you can get excited about will get them excited about it too. At least, I think so. Good luck man. I wouldn't bring those games out but then again, I don't like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Neff
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Doofenshmitz AND Perry the Platypus agree on something! Definitely, play what you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
drjoe1e6 wrote:
Dr Doofenshmitz AND Perry the Platypus agree on something! Definitely, play what you know.

*chirp*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with those saying to only introduce a game that you have played before to make it an easier experience for the players new to these games.

If you get a chance to get a single play of Alien Frontiers or Belfort in with someone before your actual game night these would probably go okay. Never played the other two so no idea how they would go. Between Alien Frontiers and Belfort, I would say Alien Frontiers is more accessible, but a game having an appealing theme for the new players is important too. If they like fantasy more than sci-fi, that would make a difference. Maybe it was the theme that was the problem with Axis and Allies.

I would put out a few light games that you would feel comfortable teaching and see what theme speaks to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone is right. I shouldn't spring a game I have never played on the new guys. I am the one who always teaches this group a new game, and I almost always forget a rule

I realize I didn't say this but I have played Alien Frontiers. Not as much as TTR or Small World, but enough that I feel confident in my ability to play and teach it.

I will probably let them choose between the three.

Oh, the one guy hates Axis and Allies because he had an old roommate who took over their apartments for weekend long marathons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:
Oh, the one guy hates Axis and Allies because he had an old roommate who took over their apartments for weekend long marathons.

That would do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way to find out if they can hang: heavy chairs, duct tape, and a DVD of Tom Vasel reviews played at 1.5x speed.

Whichever one lasts the longest is your newest group mate!

Too much sensible advice in this thread, had to take it down a notch, sorry.

Cheers, happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.