Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm posting this under the main entry of Dominion because the cards used was a mix of expansion cards.

So, the game have the following cards:

3 - Loan
4 - Bishop
4 - Feast
4 - Pirate Ship
4 - Worker's Village
5 - City
5 - Contraband
5 - Duke
5 - Rabble
6 - Adventurer

I'm usually a Pirate man. I dig Pirate Ship as much as someone can dig a card. And when I get 4 Coppers in the first turn my hand, by instinct, went for the Pirate Ship. Pretty straight foward. But I let my hand hover over there while I pondered.

The game before, Pirate Ship was there. And I got 6 of them and won the game with 7 Provinces. And all of this while I laughed like a maniac when the Golds, Hoards and Silvers were trashed. "Rar, mate, give o'Pirate his rightful plunder!" And they said Dominion doesn't have interaction.

Well, lesson learned. I was the third to buy and the two before took Pirate Ships. I saw the grim in their faces; the pent up anger, the will to make bad Pirate voices and to trash my money. If one of them had a gold tooth, it would have sparkled in that moment.

So, with a sigh full of old and fond memories, I let go the Pirate Ship and took the Bishop.

The player after me took a Pirate Ship also. Yes, the seas would be red and shiny. Then some Silvers.

Next the plunder began and others Pirate Ships were seen leaving the ports. I went again the pray for these wicked and stray souls - another Bishop and I start leving the earthly things behind, letting go a Estate. The money of the Church was already bleeding out, but I don't even bother - it actually help me do the Lord's work.

My third purchase was a Worker's Village, or, as I called: my flock.

The Pirates than went to the City, to give themselves to perdition and sin, and formed Rabbles there.

I gave my Coppers to the Pirates, so the Village was safe from harm. "Repend!", I said. "And I will also give you absolution and a place in the Lord's lap", but no, they are pleased with their sinful ways and replied that they only wanted women in their laps. Fair enough, it would be the Devil's lap then.

Being true to my vows, I didn't had any Coppers and Estates. But the Church keept giving the Bishops more Estates, saying that the God's men needed a place to bury the faithful, to build a Chapel, to plant grapes and so on. But the Bishops continued to give them away.

So I found myself in a curious situation: holding only 4 cards and scoring 3 points each turn.

My opponents could bought some Estates, to slow me down, but the lure of the Provinces and Duchies, with all their sweet, sweet points, specially because it was said that the Duke was ready to do some work.

And finally came the Judgment Day, also known as End Game.

And the pious won the day!

The points and decks:

Pedro - 27 points (+3 VPs)
3 Estate
1 Duchy
3 Province
4 Copper
1 Silver
4 Gold
3 Pirate Ship
1 Bishop
2 City

Jorge - 32 points (+4 VPs)
4 Estate
4 Province
3 Copper
1 Silver
4 Gold
2 Pirate Ship
2 Bishop
1 Rabble

Gustavo - 33 points (+0 VPs)
3 Estate
5 Province
4 Copper
3 Silver
2 Gold
1 Pirate Ship
4 City
3 Rabble

Tiago - 50 points (+50 VPs)
2 Bishop
1 Worker's Village

And that was it!

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Edit: Some corrections to the text. I will fix as I see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Slagel

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I vote for more game reports trying to build a story out of the game. Cute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Fantastic story.

I did not understand how it came that you had only two bishops and a worker's village and what did you buy and bishop from there on each turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
chun1702 wrote:
Fantastic story.

I did not understand how it came that you had only two bishops and a worker's village and what did you buy and bishop from there on each turn?

I would assume that the Pirates killed any extra copper and or/silver in the deck until there was 5 or less cards left. The OP could then play Worker's Village, Bishop to trash an Estate and get +$1 and +2 VP, and Bishop to trash a Copper (or trash nothing if there was nothing else) and get $1 and +1 VP with the end result being $2 and +3 VP. Use the $2 to buy another Estate and possibly a Copper, although the Copper would not be necessary other than to try for a 3-pile ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
"Ra, mate, give o'Pirate his rightful plunder!" And they said Dominion doesn't have interaction.

They said it doesn't have theme, either. They were doubly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
chun1702 wrote:
Fantastic story.

I would assume that the Pirates killed any extra copper and or/silver in the deck until there was 5 or less cards left. The OP could then play Worker's Village, Bishop to trash an Estate and get +$1 and +2 VP, and Bishop to trash a Copper (or trash nothing if there was nothing else) and get $1 and +1 VP with the end result being $2 and +3 VP. Use the $2 to buy another Estate and possibly a Copper, although the Copper would not be necessary other than to try for a 3-pile ending.

That is totally correct.

The Worker's Village provide +2 Actions, so I could use every turn my two Bishops. With the first I trashed the Estates, the second only do the paper work, as there wasn't more cards to trash. The Bishops provide 2 coins, so I could buy one Estate.

I discarded the four cards e collect them again.

I considered buying some coppers to try trash costier cards, but I didn't because of three things: a) it could slow me down - like getting two Bishop's without the Worker's Village, and then the WV with only one Bishop; b) the Pirate Ships could just trash them; c) the trash is mandatory for the use of the Bishops, so I just would trash it myself if it survive the Pirates - no Copper deserve a fate like this.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:

The Worker's Village provide +2 Actions, so I could use every turn my two Bishops. With the first I trashed the Estates, the second only do the paper work, as there wasn't more cards to trash. The Bishops provide 2 coins, so I could buy one Estate.

I considered buying some coppers to try trash costier cards, but I didn't because of three things: a) it could slow me down - like getting two Bishop's without the Worker's Village, and then the WV with only one Bishop; b) the Pirate Ships could just trash them; c) the trash is mandatory for the use of the Bishops, so I just would trash it myself if it survive the Pirates - no Copper deserve a fate like this.
Regards,

I don't understand. If you had purchased copper/estate each time, you would've had a hand of WV, Bishop, Bishop, Copper, Estate, and been able to trash both the copper and the estate each time. That's an extra 1 VP each turn, along with draining the copper pile for a three-pile ending. This does conflict with your tender feelings for coppers, but A and B don't apply because your hand size is always five and the draw deck is non-existent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
tiagoVIP wrote:

Regards,

I don't understand. If you had purchased copper/estate each time, you would've had a hand of WV, Bishop, Bishop, Copper, Estate, and been able to trash both the copper and the estate each time. That's an extra 1 VP each turn, along with draining the copper pile for a three-pile ending. This does conflict with your tender feelings for coppers, but A and B don't apply because your hand size is always five and the draw deck is non-existent.

I could, but the Copper wouldn't provide any VP extra. Nor it would help in the purchase of anything, since it would be trashed before being used.

And exhaust the Copper pile would take more time than the game lasted. I could do it, just for the "in case" basis.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I think that helped you win was that the other player's didn't take advantage of your bishoping. Did they realize that when you play a bishop they may trash a card from their hand? The fact that each of them had so many coppers left makes me think they may have missed that, and it is an easy point to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kvenosdel wrote:
One thing I think that helped you win was that the other player's didn't take advantage of your bishoping. Did they realize that when you play a bishop they may trash a card from their hand? The fact that each of them had so many coppers left makes me think they may have missed that, and it is an easy point to miss.

Not to mention the Estates that they never got rid of. But perhaps they felt the need to keep the Estates to reduce the probability of losing a treasure to Pirate Ships and didn't want to trash the Copper because they didn't want to risk running short on $. Whether or not to trash your initial Coppers can be a really tough choice in a Pirates heavy game, especially when about the only action cards providing $ are the Pirates themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

Not to mention the Estates that they never got rid of. But perhaps they felt the need to keep the Estates to reduce the probability of losing a treasure to Pirate Ships and didn't want to trash the Copper because they didn't want to risk running short on $. Whether or not to trash your initial Coppers can be a really tough choice in a Pirates heavy game, especially when about the only action cards providing $ are the Pirates themselves.

Exactly.

They actually new about it, since every time I used I said: "You can trash a card from your hand".

I the beginning they didn't want to do it because of the fear of losing even more money (due the trashing by the Pirate Ships). And, afterwards, they wanted to use the Bishops themselves to earn a few more VPs - but then their decks was to big to use the trashing properly.

And when both appeared in their hands, between the Pirate Ship and the Bishop, they always went for the Pirates.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that you exploited the group-think that you caused in the previous game to win. Touché, bro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel beaupain
Netherlands
amersfoort
utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
STOP IT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finnished a 2 player game ending with only 1 bishop 1 silver and 1 kings court. I scored 185 against 82. It was a very boring game at the end... but the outcome was fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shmugle wrote:
Just finnished a 2 player game ending with only 1 bishop 1 silver and 1 kings court. I scored 185 against 82. It was a very boring game at the end... but the outcome was fun

Ah, the Bishop with the favor of the King. Powerful indeed!

What card could disturb this? The Torturer wouldn't do anything, as the player would accept the Curses and then trash them.

Most of the other attacks for discard wouldn't work also. I guess that only a great deal of cards that give Curses, making the deck of the opponent enlarge beyond 5 cards. But with the trash ability of the Bishop this wouldn't work for long.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel beaupain
Netherlands
amersfoort
utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
STOP IT!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried several attempts. But failed to find a way to beat it. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shmugle wrote:
We've tried several attempts. But failed to find a way to beat it. Any suggestions?

I tried almost the same strategy again in a game yesterday. No card really hampered my attempt, but the game ended too fast for me to really use the Bishop the way I wanted.

I manage to come in second, but more than 10 points behind the leader. The game ended with 3 draw decks empty (Estates, Great Hall and Mining Village).

But this took 3 players. I can say it would work for 2 or 3 players (including the one using the Bishop).

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, what beats it is speed. The Bishop deck makes a low number of points but does so indefinitely. So if you end the game before it can score enough VPs, then you win handily.

One easy example is the Golden Deck. You trash your deck down to five cards: three treasures that produce $7 or $8, a Bishop, and a Province. Each turn you trash a Province and buy a Province for 5VPs per turn. Unlike the other decks listed above, this one ends the game because it's emptying the Province pile.

Another sample game illustrating how fast this strategy is. Some discussion on how to set it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
In general, what beats it is speed. The Bishop deck makes a low number of points but does so indefinitely. So if you end the game before it can score enough VPs, then you win handily.

One easy example is the Golden Deck. You trash your deck down to five cards: Gold/Silver/Silver/Bishop/Province. Each turn you trash a Province and buy a Province for 5VPs per turn. Another sample game illustrating how fast this strategy is.

Thanks for picking one of my games as a demonstration of how to lose. WW knew how to build that perfectly, while I just auto played "hey - chapel is good, jack lets me rebuild economy... go go go go!" I would have had 4 provinces on turn 14 - a nice respectable showing... no good when your opponent builds a deck completely immune to greening on turn 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Add a Festival and Monument. Now you can buy a bigger card to trash with Bishop and pick up an extra token via Monument. Of course, this may be vulnerable to certain Attacks, as it is now a 5-card deck. Still, if a Militia (ex.) hits, you can just use the King's Court -> Bishop -> [garbage] hand for that turn, so not a real liability when confronted by Attacks.

You don't even need the Monument. A +1 Buy or gain (with +x Action) is good enough. You could use Festival -> King's Court -> Bishop -> [garbage A] -> [garbage B] to trash more than one card per turn. Granted, this is only better by one point, regardless of if you bought a second card or if you just bought a slightly more expensive card. Ironworks would work well, since you could gain an Action card (cost 4, trash for 2 points) and still take use an action on King's Court.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
One easy example is the Golden Deck. You trash your deck down to five cards: three treasures that produce $7 or $8, a Bishop, and a Province. Each turn you trash a Province and buy a Province for 5VPs per turn. Unlike the other decks listed above, this one ends the game because it's emptying the Province pile.

Ah, great! Marvelous play. This showed me that I was thinking small: why lay waste to punny Estates when I could lead a holy war to smite the land clean of the unrighteous and sinners!

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.