Paths of Glory» Forums » Strategy

Subject: PoG Events - The Rare Ones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Lloyd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Recent posts regarding Race to the Sea set me counting my cards to see which were used as Events least.

The following is based on 15 full length games most with an opponent, some solitaire, in which case I am counting both sides. I am also applying a slight correction to reflect experience in unrecorded games as well. Most were standard games but a few were Variants. By full length, I mean got to Total War. It is not scientific but just for discussion.

It is in reverse order rarest last.

12th CP 4/4 Peace Offensive (approx 30% of games) - least used Kaiserschlacht.

11th CP 4/4 Treaty of Brest Litovsk (approx 25% games) - generally I am keen to use this and it has got more frequent with experience but has to be a high War Status game with Russian Revolution.

10th AP 2/2 Grand Fleet (approx 25% of games)- hard to use if CP is shy with High Seas Fleet which it often is. Requires luck sometimes because I rarely hold it.

9th AP 3/4 Greece (approx 20% of games) - least useful neutral except that one time when the Greeks advanced into Constantinople. My heroes forever.

8th CP 3/4 Libyan Revolt (approx 20% of games) - seems like a very weak event but if you analyse it is a significant nuisance to the AP. Intend to use it more often.

7th CP 3/4 von Below (approx 20% of games) - hard to find a trench in Italy solely stacked with Italians.

6th AP 4/4 Landships (approx 20% of games) - When I do play this Event I try and use RTC lots so the pre-requisite has strangely been rarer. RTC is often under rated but it increases your chances of getting a 7 Loss Number and that is what you want most on the western front.

5th CP 4/4 Lloyd George (approximately 15% of games) - Idea is to stymie British offensives at a critical time. French Mutiny is one of my favorite events for this reason but Lloyd George is harder to pull off effectively.

4th AP 2/2 They Shall Not Pass (approximately 5% of games) - I have nothing against this event just a vague memory of using it once. I dont hold it like Kemal - you can never be sure the Germans will attack the forts.

3rd CP 3/4 Race to the Sea (approximately 5% of games) - See the recent discussion on a separate thread. The Event does have some value in the game to keep the AP honest and and allow the CP to spring a surprise. The rarer it is the more surprising it will be.

2nd AP 2/2 US Corps - (approximately 5% of games) - Although it is a 2/2 you are not usually culling your deck much when this comes around and if you are able to play US reinforcements you would take an Army instead on the same turn.

1st AP 4/4 Everyone Into Battle - (Approximately 5% of games)- Cannot recall ever playing it. The War Status Point might be an attraction or it might not be. Interesting if anyone gets sufficient advantage out of the activation advantage.

In case you are wondering, I expect to see Zimmermann and Fall of Tsar in nearly 50% of games. Typically I want to cull down to a deck of not much more than 20 cards by the end of the game so most asterixed cards come out in most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever tried one of the historical variants were certain cards (Landships, Tsar Takes command etc.) can be both played for events and OPS? I found that these cards get played a lot more often then.

Otherwise, the list is very true. Most of these cards will not be played as events every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lloyd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steven

I am a purist with PoG - not keen on Events which combine with OPS - makes it too easy or less hard. I have tried some of the Variants and the Mostincx - Loth one too. They have some good points but that is one aspect I do not think is so great. OPS should be rare too sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Lloyd wrote:

9th AP 3/4 Greece (approx 20% of games) - least useful neutral except that one time when the Greeks advanced into Constantinople. My heroes forever.

Do your games typically have Guns of August not played as an event? When Guns of August is played as an event I often see the Allies go to Total War without playing Salonika, in which case Greece will get used on the last AR of a turn to allow Serbs to be rebuilt in Salonika.

Robert Lloyd wrote:

4th AP 2/2 They Shall Not Pass (approximately 5% of games) - I have nothing against this event just a vague memory of using it once. I dont hold it like Kemal - you can never be sure the Germans will attack the forts.

My experience is much the same. Although there was one time when my MEF conquered Turkey early on and it looked like I could only lose if I was Kaiserschlachted out of Paris, so I held this card in hand for about 10 turns as insurance against that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew Barratt wrote:
Do your games typically have Guns of August not played as an event? When Guns of August is played as an event I often see the Allies go to Total War without playing Salonika, in which case Greece will get used on the last AR of a turn to allow Serbs to be rebuilt in Salonika.

That's a good idea, I'll have to try it sometime.

In my games, GoA is always played. However, as soon as they reach Total War, the CP refuses ever again to play a card with War Status. (The CP don't want the US in the game, and overthrowing the Tsar is both so hard to achieve and so expensive in good Ops cards that they don't feel it's worth trying.)

Assuming this happens, it is just barely possible for the Allies, by playing literally every single WS point in their deck except Zimmermann Telegram, to get the CWS of 33 so that they can play ZT. This is when, and why, I see Greece get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lloyd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matt

Me too - I never saw Greece used to help the Serbs get back in so it is a good tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Robert Lloyd wrote:
AP 2/2 Grand Fleet (approx 25% of games)- hard to use if CP is shy with High Seas Fleet which it often is. Requires luck sometimes because I rarely hold it.

Strangely high. In all tourneys I've been in the discard pile has been free to evaluate. I can recall only one game in my life where this has been played successfully. If the VPs are very close, AP is holding this in his hand. If CP needs more VPs he tries a breakthrough with OPs (High Seas Fleet).

Robert Lloyd wrote:

Strangely low. This is usually used in GoA games to bring serbs back as others said.

Robert Lloyd wrote:
8th CP 3/4 Libyan Revolt (approx 20% of games) - seems like a very weak event but if you analyse it is a significant nuisance to the AP. Intend to use it more often.

Also quite high percentage, but I agree this is more useful than originally seems. The point is not to attack usually with libyans, but to tie up one BRc.

Robert Lloyd wrote:
6th AP 4/4 Landships (approx 20% of games) - When I do play this Event I try and use RTC lots so the pre-requisite has strangely been rarer. RTC is often under rated but it increases your chances of getting a 7 Loss Number and that is what you want most on the western front.

These events never saw any tourney action, before WBC rules changed it to work in the Germany.

Robert Lloyd wrote:
5th CP 4/4 Lloyd George (approximately 15% of games) - Idea is to stymie British offensives at a critical time. French Mutiny is one of my favorite events for this reason but Lloyd George is harder to pull off effectively.

Strangely low. Usually CP has a sure VP here, if they have T2s in the west front (attacking east). Many tourney players count this one as a sure VP.

Robert Lloyd wrote:

Very rare (as Grand Fleet), but equally important for the game. If the germans have trenches near Paris & Kaiserschlacht events are available (=H&L has been played) this is the AP hold card.

Robert Lloyd wrote:
3rd CP 3/4 Race to the Sea (approximately 5% of games) - See the recent discussion on a separate thread. The Event does have some value in the game to keep the AP honest and and allow the CP to spring a surprise. The rarer it is the more surprising it will be.

Only once seen a serious gamer to play this in tourney. Though I see that the deck culling is more than to raise your average OPs. It also makes it more probably for you to get the events you need.

Robert Lloyd wrote:
1st AP 4/4 Everyone Into Battle - (Approximately 5% of games)- Cannot recall ever playing it. The War Status Point might be an attraction or it might not be. Interesting if anyone gets sufficient advantage out of the activation advantage.

Yep this is perhaps the rarest event. I haven't seen a play of this event that I afterwards have considered useful in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.