Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Cosmos favors the bold and obnoxious (endgame report) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our second game of Cosmic Encounter was great fun! This report focuses on the events that transpired in the Cosmos during the final spin of the game around the table. As in our 1st game, we had 4 players involved.

Here are the contending forces, in turn order: André (Reincarnator), Cynthia (Anti-Matter), me (Sorcerer), Henrique (Zombie). It was Henrique and André’s first game of CE, second for me and my awesome girlfriend Cynthia.

Game overview: We had a lot of fun with André choosing the Reincarnator and adding an extra layer of chaos to the game. My Sorcerer reveal (we started with hidden powers) was also done with pomp and circumstance (I enjoyed him more than the admittedly cool Trader I got in the first game), and interaction with Cynthia’s Anti-Matter in the early game gave a everybody a sense of how chaotic this game can be! Anti-Matter took a moment to understand, but it was a very interesting power. Henrique rated his Zombie power highly, and André was cycling through aliens fast, with so many reincarnations he could be mistaken for a Dragon Ball Z episode, but he failed to make a big impact with his powers.

Near the end everybody had 4 colonies, except for Cynthia who had 3 (although she defended well she was lacking luck on the offensive).

André’s turn: André attacked Henrique, one encounter away from winning the game (we started to call these situations “match points”). Me and Cynthia allied with Henrique to prevent, but André had the underestimated power of Humanity (and in the game!) and a Prometheus ship. André reveals a 12 (+4 from humanity's power +4 from the Prometheus for a total of 20) and Henrique reveals an 8. Cynthia plays a few +2 and +3 reinforcement cards, I reluctantly play a +5 I was holding on to and we manage to collectively stop André by ONE.

Cynthia’s turn: she lost her encounter due to a last minute Cosmic Zap to her alien power. She announced she was getting sleepy, and as the boyfriend I knew what this really meant was “win the game so I can finally go home, my love!” I WAS READY!

My turn: Henrique Plagues me. 2 out of 2 games I get on the wrong end of this damn card! Inviting Henrique for a joint victory was out of question, now. Thinking back, he’d probably refuse an alliance at that point, being next in line. I attack André. I had already pulled the shenanigans of playing a Negotiate and using my Sorcerer power to swap cards, so he was wary. There was no real choice for me, my only card was an attack 10. Henrique allied to André, André says “trust me, I got the cards”. Was that a bluff? This was a purely meta-game situation now, as André had to decide which card he'd play and I had to decide if I would Sorcerer-swap cards. I did swap. He played a Negotiate; I lost. Everybody but me rejoices! As I check the 4 cards I got as compensation (André’s ENTIRE hand), I see that his other 2 encounter cards were also Negotiates. We BOTH had no choice, and he won by convincing me to swap! I lose my match point and my Epic Eye Roll amuses him to no end.

Henrique’s turn: he attacks Cynthia, and forces André to ally (using my very own The Qax tech, which I had admittedly researched just to add extra craziness to the game). Now Anti-Matter girlfriend is looking resigned. “Come on, girlfriend, you have 6 cards there, you have to BELIEVE!”. They plan, they reveal. She shows a Morph vs an attack, which means we lose for having less ships involved. The other 5 cards in her hand were all flares (sadly for her, we were not playing free-flare-extravaganza)!

Aftermath: Making sure I went though all the stages of grief, I was raging and sulking over the loss when Henrique revealed what happened in André’s turn in detail: Henrique played an 8, as you recall, to try and prevent André’s victory. He did it while he had a 20 and a 30 in his hand. He did not play those because he was hoping we had reinforcements to boost the score and save the day. He wanted to save his better cards and perhaps make we lose a couple of reinforcements, having no idea we even had any! He gambled and he won; we really missed those reinforcement cards to deny his victory. When he finished telling this evil anecdote, I shook his hand and congratulated him. I was loud and untrustworthy, but I also was naïve. His insidious deeds, on the other hand, were in accord to the game’s highest ideals of slyness and deceit. He was a deserving winner!

Of course, this will not happen again because it says on the box that no two games of cosmic encounter are alike.

EDIT: Clarified some confusing points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. +1 for deceit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic session report! A lot goes into Cosmic Encounter that people have trouble seeing (at first glance it all looks random and meaningless).

I'm sorry that your moment got blown out. You were put into a tough situation, though, so don't feel too bad! I, personally, haven't played with the Tech cards yet. I'll have to give them a shot, one day.

And having a flair extravaganza variant seems pretty wild!

Anyway, thanks for the report, and good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lengthtoavoid wrote:
Great session report. +1 for deceit!

Tryken wrote:
Fantastic session report! A lot goes into Cosmic Encounter that people have trouble seeing (at first glance it all looks random and meaningless).

I'm sorry that your moment got blown out. You were put into a tough situation, though, so don't feel too bad! I, personally, haven't played with the Tech cards yet. I'll have to give them a shot, one day.

And having a flair extravaganza variant seems pretty wild!

Anyway, thanks for the report, and good gaming!

Thanks!

About what I called the "flare extravaganza", I was lazy to look up the actual name of the variant, it's called Freewheeling Flares and it does away with the "one flare per encounter" limitation! It's in the manual, at least on my copy (I got the latest reprint).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas K Tavares
Brazil
Campinas
SAO PAULO
flag msg tools
Freaking amazing report.
I still need to play this.

I'm unfamiliarized with the game, but this isn't the first time I see Henrique risk defeat for a counter and win. It's actually something he did quite often on our previous games, that first match of Cyclades, for instance.

Still, awesomesauce, dude!
gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.