Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarification & aliens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi all, we went head first into an 8 player game for our first run on this game. We did a lot of things wrong and it took forever, but it was still great fun! Just need some clarification if possible:

#1 Can you Cosmic Zap an alien at any time during an encounter even before it is used (preventing it being used for that encounter)?

#2 Please explain "As any player" - if you are not the Main Offence or Main Defence or an ally in the encounter - can you still use this card/power?

#3 Is there ever a case where you are not involved in the encounter that you can use cards/powers?

#4 Can you only USE your alien power once per encounter?

#5 Some alien powers are mandatory and can be used at any phase, does this mean you MUST use that power if applicable for each phase (multiple times), or only for the first phase that it is applicable (i.e can Vulch claim one discarded card per phase, or only the first time a card is discarded in that encounter). Or does Mandatory mean you must use it during an encounter but can choose which one phase to use it?

Alien specific questions:

MISER:
If a player announces that they are using their MISER power, can you cosmic zap them to prevent them using their horde cards?

MACRON:
Since you can only send one ship into an encounter which is worth 4 attack, is it possible for a player to ZAP this power so that you only have 1 attack? If so when can they do this?

Also the card says it is Mandatory for use in the Launch, Alliance or Reveal stage - how can it ever be used in the reveal stage, since it is mandatory don't you have to use it in either the Launch or Alliance stage when you send ships.

VULCH:
When are cards treated as discarded?

Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. Only when it is actually used.

2. Yes; it doesn't matter whether you are the offense, the defense, an ally, or uninvolved. (You still have to meet whatever conditions are in the text, of course.)

3. Sure ... if it's an As Any Player effect.

4. Not always. This isn't really spelled out in the rules, but powers are generally used "once per situation", meaning when the situation comes up, you can use your power. If it says "after allies are invited" or something, this strongly implies ONCE after allies are invited. But if it says "whenever somebody else draws a card" then you might get to do that multiple times per encounter. Common sense will generally get you there.

5. Yes. Vulch technically must pick up every artifact discarded by somebody else (and this is reinforced by the word "whenever"). You asked whether it's one card per encounter or one card per phase, but it's actually every card ... even multiples per phase.

MISER: Yes.

MACRON: Yes. The can zap when you're loading the gate (in which case you could put in more than one ship), or they can zap when totals are being calculated and Macron's ships are being counted in. Obviously they're usually better off waiting for the second zap window.

It's mandatory to limit yourself to 1 ship in Launch or Alliance, and it's also mandatory to count each ship as 4 in Reveal.

VULCH: When the cards go to the discard pile. (Not sure I understand what the question is here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pseudonym
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:

VULCH: When the cards go to the discard pile. (Not sure I understand what the question is here.)

They go to the discard pile after their effect takes place, so you cannot use a Card Zap against itself. Is that what you were asking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeah one confusion we had is when cards get moved to the discard pile.

For example :
#A When does the the encounter card, whether its an attack or negotiation go to the discard pile.

#B When do reinforcement cards goto the discard pile

#C When do flare cards (if zapped) goto the discard pile

#D When does a Cosmic Zap/Card Zap/Artifact goto the discard pile

#E Example: If you Card Zap a flare card, this should mean it goes to the discard pile straight away - but if someone else Card Zaps your Card Zap, does this just send both Card Zaps immediately to the discard pile (or straight to Vulch).

Initially there was some confusion and people were thinking that a "played" card was also "discarded", since it wasn't in a players hand yet, but I got the impression that cards were only discarded at the end of the encounter.

I know this stuff is probably bleeding obvious to people that have played a lot, some of it just seemed a bit ambiguous after I read all of the rules a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The general rule is that cards are discarded once their effects are fully resolved.

A/B Encounter cards and reinforcements are discarded after the encounter is resolved--that is, once a victor is declared.

C/D Immediately. A zapped flare is immediately discarded along with the card zap. Artifacts are discarded after resolving their effect.

E You are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great, thanks for the clarification! The rules are decent but they don't really explain everything or have examples with aliens etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheezwack wrote:
Hi all, we went head first into an 8 player game for our first run on this game.

You're crazy! Just the right kind of player for the game. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hah! No doubt!

Let's just say, I had the last turn, there were 6 players on 4 points, I was pretty much guaranteed to win the game and take whoever I wanted with me.

I invited only 3 other people to join the final attack, one of them was the partner of the person I was attacking, so I forced him to choose between winning the game, or help her defend!

He (dangerously) chose to win the game haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petar todosic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:
Sheezwack wrote:
Hi all, we went head first into an 8 player game for our first run on this game.

You're crazy! Just the right kind of player for the game.

LOL Definitely my opinion also I'd really like to play a game with you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.