Subject: Some may look at my lawn and see weeds. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I see biodiversity and sustainability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I fake a fondness for dandelions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how a mono-culture became the ideal, but it's unfortunate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Say hello to my little friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Some might also look in the ocean and seaweeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I look at my front yard, I see a beautiful spring meadow, not 8 inch tall grass and clover as far as the eye can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't know the book, but we do eat out of our yard:

Dandelions (young greens)
Tiger Lilies
Sorrel (we go easy on it)
Lamb's Quarters
Nettle (Stinging; boiled for a bit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Engelhardt
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought for a minute you were on a house boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:

Are you just posting that to be funny, or is it a sincere endorsement of the product...

...cause those f'ing weeds are pissing me off.

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:

I have a real fondness for dandelions. I think the green and gold of a lawn full of them is quite beautiful.

My neighbours fake a fondness for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought my house almost 7 years ago, the lawn was PERFECT. The guy was a retiree and watered his lawn every day, trimmed with a scissors (rumor has it).

I know about a year and a half later, I seen him drive by in the alley. I think he was crying cuz that lawn isn't perfect anymore.

I decided to "toughen it up" by not watering every day. It promptly died for the summer.

I did weed and feed last year to keep the weeds at a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredyth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with your frumpish! Down with mono-culture! It destroys the soil and diversity of the native flora and fauna.

We mow the front just so the neighbors don't hate us. We do not use poison or anything else. Hell, when it's mowed, it all just looks like a green lawn.

In the back, we have left the native grasses (the previous owner backfilled the pool). We spread native flower seed every spring and do not do anything to it (except for a little space we have a garden in).

My backyard is an awesome example of North Texas bio-diversity. We have frogs, black ants (we have never had a problem with the fire ants that are so common here; they destroy the native ant colonies), fence lizards, geckos, spiny lizards, and an amazing assortment of bugs and butterflies. In fact, the fence lizard is becoming pretty rare here, but we see them sunning on our window sills in the summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, my wife and I are firm believers in the miracle of lawn rebirth in the spring. Come by during the fall and it will be dead as a door nail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I think it had something to do with the post-war industrial boom of the 50s and explosion of creativity in the chemical sector around the same time. Remember, all those advances were supposed to make life "better" for the busy modern family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
Leezer wrote:

Are you just posting that to be funny, or is it a sincere endorsement of the product...

...cause those f'ing weeds are pissing me off.

angry

For what it's worth, yes, this is what I used on my lawn this year. It seems to be working pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is all the known interactions between a dandelion and it's seeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I think it had something to do with the post-war industrial boom of the 50s and explosion of creativity in the chemical sector around the same time. Remember, all those advances were supposed to make life "better" for the busy modern family.

It also is a sign of prestige. You are showing that you've got all this land, and you're so wealthy that you don't need to grow anything but wasteful grass on it. This was important in the post-war era and has carried with us until today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a nice lawn makes me unusually happy. I edged last evening and I was oddly satisfied afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where I life there is an organisation of nature conservation trying to convince our folks to grow a meadow instead of a lawn. They even provide the seeds and their advice and knowledge. I don't see it happen very often, but one thing they managed was that weedkillers are banned in our town, well at least they don't get used by our municipality(?); what you do privately is another thing. We also have tree preservation bye-laws, though I have to say it isn't working that good. But if you cut down a big tree without permission you'll probably get fined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually put in a 'green' lawn this year. (Yes, I paid for weeds.)
It is a combination of grass and micro clover. The clover resists other weeds, and also fixes nitrogen in the soil, so you do not need to fertilize, or spray for weeds. It also helps lock water in the soil, so you need to water much less often. And the biggest plus to me, it doesn't grow as high, so you can mow less often.

http://www.earthturf.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:

I have a real fondness for dandelions. I think the green and gold of a lawn full of them is quite beautiful.

My neighbours fake a fondness for me...

Green Bay Packer colors - can't go wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sloan66 wrote:
I actually put in a 'green' lawn this year. (Yes, I paid for weeds.)
It is a combination of grass and micro clover. The clover resists other weeds, and also fixes nitrogen in the soil, so you do not need to fertilize, or spray for weeds. It also helps lock water in the soil, so you need to water much less often. And the biggest plus to me, it doesn't grow as high, so you can mow less often.

http://www.earthturf.com/

Interesting. I may look into this.

EDIT: Yow, it's expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.