Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

We've been working on our upcoming game, Story Realms, for about a year now. It's a family friendly interactive adventure game that allows players to go on an epic adventure in about an hour.

We've had great support from playertesters and have a deal in place with Game Salute to bring the game to market, including an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for the first print run. We're working with an amazing art director to get all the pre-production work done, which has been a whole huge learning experience, and I wanted to share the story behind how we came up with the idea for the game in our latest blog post: http://growingupgamers.blogspot.com/2012/04/story-realms-wee...

I've been lurking (and occasionally posting) on this forum for a long time, but I'd like to get more active in discussions. We're doing a weekly blog update about our progress, and are happy to answer any questions. We're getting ready to send out blind playtest packets to people who have expressed interest in the game, and I'm really excited about this project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great blog you have there. I really enjoyed your thoughts on teaching children to enjoy games. My eldest son is 4. I've let him play with quite a few of my games and he really likes it. I think soon I'd like to begin adding some kind of structure to the play process though, even if it's simulating taking turns or creating a simple matching game.

Thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a game that a lot of adults would be interested in as well.

Although I'm a bit unclear on what the game actually is: you seem to be pitching it as a board game, while the description sounds more like a role-playing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We're describing it as a storytelling adventure game, its somewhere between a board game and a roleplaying game in that it has a lot of components and cards, but has a strong roleplaying element. There isn't a great category or comparison because it comes in a box and plays in an hour, and will have tons of cards and dice and a board, but also contains adventures and books like a roleplaying game. We've had a lot of successes playing it with grown ups as well as kids, so I absolutely believe it's a game that adults would like as well. We're still trying to figure out how to best describe it to people because the game falls in a pretty unique category!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks nice. I'd stick with "storytelling adventure game", as it seems to be the best description you've got, just by what your blog says. I'm interested to see where you're going with this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks neat! While I don't have any kids of my own I work at the YMCA so kids are important plus I hope to someday have some rugrats. I look forward more to what you will come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem I see is that lots of people describe their games as unique, original, and playable by kids or adults, whether those things are true or not.

I'd consider giving more information about how the game actually works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! That's why we've been making it a point to get out and play it with as many people as we can at conventions, are doing a massive beta testing program, and planning to post our full rules before our Kickstarter funding drive launches. We're happy to answer any questions about the game and how it plays, and have been working on writing a weekly update about our progress and highlighting a different aspect of the game each week. Hopefully soon we'll be able to start doing previews of the components and art... we want people to be able to completely see what we've come up with and evaluate it based upon more than sales-y observations that it is "innovative and plays well with kids and adults"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oooh... I like it when you touch my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the next article on this one:

Story Realms Design Goal: Adventuring In About An Hour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
have you guys seen Fiasco?
http://rpggeek.com/rpg/4279/fiasco
it's labeled as an rpg but it's really more of a party game. So far it's the best storytelling game I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen that and am in intrigued. I've heard both good and bad about it, and am hoping to get a chance to read through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coffeeswiller wrote:
Here's the next article on this one:

Story Realms Design Goal: Adventuring In About An Hour

I find it interesting that Talisman, for example, was specifically designed to be a quicker and easier way to get a D&D-like experience. Yet, especially with several expansions in play, the time and effort creeps up to that of just playing D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next installment! We talk a bit about making characters in the world. Story Realms is a kid-friendly game that incorporates elements of board games and roleplaying games. here's a link:

http://growingupgamers.blogspot.com/2012/05/stepping-into-st...

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.