Tower of the Dread Mage» Forums » Sessions

Subject: This game rocks!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Petroziello
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
This is my session report on my first play of Tower of the Dread Mage. I played three games last night and had a blast. I wasn’t too sure about it at first. I chose the warrior and his armor for the first two games and for the last game I chose the explorer.

Game one: I died inside of three squares. Two traps, followed by a door with a trap.

Game two: I died about four squares outside of the first floor exit. Another trap did me in. I like to roll the pit trap and then roll really high.

Game three: I was beginning to wonder about my chances of ever beating the dread mage after making it to the second floor and then hitting two teleport to the beginning traps, but... All went well... I made it all the way to the tenth level. Robe +2, Axe +4, Lightning Wand +4, and the Iron Skin potion. Then, a Demon happened. I was left with four life and hoping for at least a shot at the dread mage. Instead, another Demon. He killed me, 24 squares in. A valiant effort to take down a pretty freakin’ sweet game.

There is no reason you shouldn’t try this game. All you need is a two-page copy of the rules and some graph paper. There is a really nice character sheet and dungeon map in the files section. You can kill some time trying to make your way through the tower. My hats off to the designer. I travel a lot and this will always be in my PnP travel folder.

Now, I have a couple of questions in regards to the game. During combat the rules state that if you score higher than the challenge then you win. If lower you lose. What if it’s equal? Do you win or is it a wash?

Next, do you roll for the exit square or is it a free square? Same with the start square on the next floor.

Lastly, can you access JB’s Bazaar at any floor before you continue into it? Or do the rules mean before you start the game?

Once again, a great game. I'm going to have to try the Maze of the Red Mage next. Can’t wait to see more on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brandon
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it! To answer your questions:

1) a tie in combat means it is a wash, you blocked each other and no damage is done to creature nor character.

2) Entry and exit squares are free of hazards, no rolls necessary

3) The Bazaar is ONLY available at the start of the game, not during.

Glad you liked it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.