Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing some research.

Did the wargame designer Larry Pinksy pass away earlier this month?

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/baltimoresun/obituary.aspx?...

It looks like this Larry I(rving?) Pinsky was from Maryland, where Avalon Hill was based, and died April 3, 2012, and might been born around 1955.

I wouldn't think that he could be the same person as some wargamer always knows about something and ends up posting it here, but I thought I better ask.

Any opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Larry Pinsky you refer to was involved in making Blitzkrieg in 1965. The math doesn't come out right. It seems that Blitzkrieg's Larry Pinsky had to have been born much sooner than 1955.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Patton
msg tools
I was an undergraduate classmate of Larry Pinsky's at Carnegie Mellon (then Carnegie Tech) in the mid to late 60's Pittsburgh. He graduated in Physics in 1968, and the last I saw (perhaps 1 year ago) he was head of the Physics department at the University of Houston.

We were in ROTC together as well.

He would have been born in the 1946-47 and should be 65 to 66 years old, as I am.

He seemd to been involved in many games beyond Blitzkreig during his time at Carnegie. One story I remember is him discussing the Kofax desert in the Blitzkreig game, named so because it was so sandy - look up old baseball pitchers.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
GSPatton wrote:
I was an undergraduate classmate of Larry Pinsky's at Carnegie Mellon (then Carnegie Tech) in the mid to late 60's Pittsburgh. He graduated in Physics in 1968, and the last I saw (perhaps 1 year ago) he was head of the Physics department at the University of Houston.

We were in ROTC together as well.

He would have been born in the 1946-47 and should be 65 to 66 years old, as I am.

He seemd to been involved in many games beyond Blitzkreig during his time at Carnegie. One story I remember is him discussing the Kofax desert in the Blitzkreig game, named so because it was so sandy - look up old baseball pitchers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

And welcome to BGG! Ever go by the nickname "Old Blood & Guts?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.