Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Unlike many here, I've only played this about 5 times, so forgive me if my opinions are still forming. However my group were a little disappointed that all of our wins came from dashing round the board and grabbing treasure, usually burning an energy card to speed boost around.
I was expecting confrontation and spell-casting to be the primary focus of the game. One friend remarked "it's not really a war is it? More like Wiz-Olympics!"

I sort of feel the speed boost is a bit overpowered and I'm considering house ruling it.
What is everyone else's experience on this matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
In my experience it is quite common (often take down leader mentality kicks in and someone is stopped when close but usually someone else can take advantage not long after.)

Not tried it yet (but hope to next game) but upping victory points to 3 needed would solve this issue I imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Koopmans
Canada
St Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only managed to get in a handful of plays and having energy cards for a speed burst has played a role in most of the wins.

One of the regular gamers in my group has complained that he feels this mechanic is broken. I'm not 100% inclined to agree with him yet, but I can see his point after I used a 5 and 6 after dropping one treasure to grab and return the second in two turns for the win.

I don't mind the mechanic in general, as having a bit of a boost allows you to surprise someone who thought they were momentarily safe. If I would going to change it, I would probably make it so that you gained movements points equal to half the energy, rounded down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeshko wrote:
I've only managed to get in a handful of plays and having energy cards for a speed burst has played a role in most of the wins.

One of the regular gamers in my group has complained that he feels this mechanic is broken. I'm not 100% inclined to agree with him yet, but I can see his point after I used a 5 and 6 after dropping one treasure to grab and return the second in two turns for the win.

I don't mind the mechanic in general, as having a bit of a boost allows you to surprise someone who thought they were momentarily safe. If I would going to change it, I would probably make it so that you gained movements points equal to half the energy, rounded down.

I played a handful of games (is that expression equal to less then 10, but more than 5? If so, I have played a handful...) and for me the sprint win has really been due to how the terrian has changed. If people destroy walls than speed boosts can really shorten treasure return distances and in that case boost will really help. Usually one of the other closer players makes a run for the treasure already in the near-to-winning wizards home base...

Typically, 5 and 6s don't come up that often. However, if you are playing with all the magic schools smashed together in one big "power" deck it may throw the spell and energy card balance off depending on how shuffled the deck is... FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game in about 80% wins the last wizard standing - for me and my wife. It may quite vary a lot depending on the schools choosen, as some are more offensive, some more manipulative and some more defensive.
Also it matter a lot if any player has a clear shot on enemy treasure, while the defending player has a difficult way to block it.

One common strategy - that happens during our plays a lot - is to take own treasure and close it within unnacessible place (i.e. within created door, wall, traps etc.)..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:
In a 2 player game in about 80% wins the last wizard standing - for me and my wife. It may quite vary a lot depending on the schools choosen, as some are more offensive, some more manipulative and some more defensive.
Also it matter a lot if any player has a clear shot on enemy treasure, while the defending player has a difficult way to block it.

One common strategy - that happens during our plays a lot - is to take own treasure and close it within unnacessible place (i.e. within created door, wall, traps etc.)..

My wife and I were tired of our two player matches being only fights to the death. I felt we were missing a large aspect of the game, namely treasure management. So we implemented the "Treasure Death" house rule that has really changed our games. Read about it here: New 2P House Rule: Two Wizards are Now Waaaayyyy Better than Before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
My wife and I were tired of our two player matches being only fights to the death. I felt we were missing a large aspect of the game, namely treasure management. So we implemented the "Treasure Death" house rule that has really changed our games. Read about it here: New 2P House Rule: Two Wizards are Now Waaaayyyy Better than Before!

That's an interesting variant, I'll definitely propose it on our next play
Also, those 3D treasure chests look simply awesome! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to play really paranoid and always assume somebody has a 6 energy to dash with. Make the other players paranoid as well. Point out when someone could potentially win within two turns, and turn them against each other. Go after already-stolen treasures instead of fresh ones, and explain the importance of doing so to others so you're all stealing from each other.

Then watch the sparks fly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play it the way, that you can only add 2 or 3 energy to your movement (if you play a 6 for movement it will become a 3). this way nobody can dash through the map in one round, and we use 5 and 6 to lengthen spells much more often (previously we usually added 5 and 6 to movement). So it is 2 improvement to the game with one little rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's an important part of the game, but I haven't found it overpowered. Just checking...you know you can only spend one energy card per turn for speed boost, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A large part of playing games in the "old days" was keeping track of what your opponent was doing and knowing how close he or she was to winning and then thwarting his or her plans. I am not sure when gamers lost that ability (I mostly play with kids my own age).

I am rapidly approaching 50, for what that is worth, and have been gaming since the late 70's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The queen in chess is way, WAY overpowered, if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irylia Corbenic
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoyrexJ9 wrote:
Hi,
Unlike many here, I've only played this about 5 times, so forgive me if my opinions are still forming. However my group were a little disappointed that all of our wins came from dashing round the board and grabbing treasure, usually burning an energy card to speed boost around.
I was expecting confrontation and spell-casting to be the primary focus of the game. One friend remarked "it's not really a war is it? More like Wiz-Olympics!"

I sort of feel the speed boost is a bit overpowered and I'm considering house ruling it.
What is everyone else's experience on this matter?

we experienced the same wiz-race effect that you guys had; this review saved the game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/803845/why-the-new-version-s...

try it just like he says, it will change your perspective of the game for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
There's the noticeable feel for sure that using most cards that have 'optional' energy, using them to boost speed is seen as the most useful use almost always.

There are many cards that let you do something mundane/ineffectual but ALSO can be used instead for 3 extra spaces of movement. And 3 spaces of extra movement would normally be good a enough effect for a very valuable card to have on its own. But as an OPTIONAL element, it consistently overshadows the card's actual spell effects.

So you see players using the cards that simply CAN'T be used for boosting speed for their effects. If you can't use a card to boost speed, then you won't. But if you can, moving more spaces on your turn is frequently more desirable. Even once per turn, you can't go without burning a combo card for extra movement.

The cards with optional energy values get scrapped for movement boosts -- that's just how it goes, that's how the system works out.

I think the combo cards are the problem. I think seeing these cards as movement boosters rather than spell cards is the problem. I think the repetitive nature of burning a card for 2-3 extra movement spaces, no matter what the spell effect was, is the problem.

How do we solve it? How about capping maximum extra movement spaces to 3, making those 4, 5, and 6 cards in line with the 2s and 3s in the deck. How about we let speed demons be speed demons, while making them play honest and face-to-face when it comes time to haul that treasure back home. Locked to 3 movement, without the time to suck on that sweet energy for a boost? Maybe you'll hold on to that lockpick or glue spell.

Allow the game to have its weighted crazy moments, without stripping it all down to 'normal' with an overprotective 50% decrease in movement bonuses. Let the runners run. Let the thieves play smart.

Let the Wizards be Wizards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenix Guardian
Italy
Verona
Veneto
flag msg tools
i think play with treasure make game really fast, like 30'-45' mins, and it's not really bad for first time or for quick games.

but win by treasure it's very difficult now for me and my group, because everyone know how to manage the other players, and it's easy to see players take treasures on enemy's base and take apart in the next square.

i think treasure can make the game faster, but without them (deathmatch) it's longer and funnier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.