Battles of Westeros» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreating from Cover Rules Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
My troops occupy a building which is also a victory condition hex. They are shot at by archers and a flag comes up on the die. Do my troops have to retreat from the building?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unless they are Stalwart or have some other way to ignore a Flag. Cover ignores X number of hits, not flags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. That is what we have been playing, but I wondered whether I was missing something as the rule seems hard to justify from a realistic point of view.

Why in the world would armoured troops sitting in a building that they know they need to occupy in order to win the battle scatter just because someone shot a couple arrows at the house? It doesn't make sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire arrows. But then I guess then the building would burn down. Maybe tear-gas arrows...

KTrout wrote:
Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. That is what we have been playing, but I wondered whether I was missing something as the rule seems hard to justify from a realistic point of view.

Why in the world would armoured troops sitting in a building that they know they need to occupy in order to win the battle scatter just because someone shot a couple arrows at the house? It doesn't make sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrows crushing windows, splintering wood, no way to see your enemy, just shafts popping from the thin wooden walls everywhere, you have not been sleeping for days, you dont know whether you friends still live, you guess if you wait here, sooner or later some archer will feather you, or someone will set the building on fire, or more and more foes will arrive and storm the damned house.
You ask yourself what the fuck you are doing in there, dying just because some lord want to hold this point? And just as another volley rains down and some arrow flies right past your head, you forget all thoughts of duty or honor, get up, and run like hell, to get away from this fucking inn, from this war, and save you ass...

I guess, something like that is the flavor reasoning behind morale-result caused retreats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better reasoning than tear-gas arrows.

lannister4live wrote:
Arrows crushing windows, splintering wood, no way to see your enemy, just shafts popping from the thin wooden walls everywhere, you have not been sleeping for days, you dont know whether you friends still live, you guess if you wait here, sooner or later some archer will feather you, or someone will set the building on fire, or more and more foes will arrive and storm the damned house.
You ask yourself what the fuck you are doing in there, dying just because some lord want to hold this point? And just as another volley rains down and some arrow flies right past your head, you forget all thoughts of duty or honor, get up, and run like hell, to get away from this fucking inn, from this war, and save you ass...

I guess, something like that is the flavor reasoning behind morale-result caused retreats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.