Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for Strategic Air Detection (9.2) read:

1) He can place a Strategic Detection marker on any enemy surface unit or stack . . .

2) He can attempt to place a Strategic Detection marker on any enemy submarine . . .

In this case is "any" to be interpreted as "any and all?" Meaning, can one air unit, doing strategic air recon, place or attempts to place detection markers on all units in the target zone?

Or is it one air unit making a check on one hex?

In the AARs here on the forums it seems that people play the former, but I had read it as the latter.

I just had an extreme example in my head, let's say there was a combination of 7+ task forces and 7+ submarines in a zone. I found it unlikely that one air unit would detect or attempt to detect all of them.

Is there a clarification some where?

Thanks

Ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not "any and all," it is just "any." So if you have one air unit on a recon mission that survives to the Strategic Detection Segment, you can pick one stack of surface units in the zone and place a Strat. Detect. marker on it. Alternatively, you can select a single submarine in the zone (not in pack ice) and roll on the detection table.

If you look at the example on page 17, there are 3 Soviet subs, C, D, and F present in the zone. The one NATO air unit on a Recon mission only attempts to detect Soviet sub C.

I have not read the AARs here on the forums. Can you point out specifically where someone detected all the units in a zone with a single Recon mission? I suspect they played it incorrectly, or their AAR isn't clear enough on this particular detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Williams
United States
Middle River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree- I've always played 'any' as 'any one' unit or stack. I'm kind of surprised that people would play it as 'any and all'... never even occured to me.

Glad to see that "The Fleet" games aren't forgotten!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation and point out the example in the ruleboook.

The AAR that I had in mind is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/487269/scenario-2-boomers-wh...

It seems that multiple subs are up for detection even though the Soviets have only 2 RCN aircraft (that is ok since US has only two subs). But US has only 1 RCN aircraft and seems to be trying to detect all Soviet subs in Turns 1 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YankeeGrunt wrote:

Glad to see that "The Fleet" games aren't forgotten!

We're trying. Found a Brit to play with on Vassal via PBEM. I hadn't played before, but I love me some WWWIII naval action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tsnouffer wrote:
Thanks for the explanation and point out the example in the ruleboook.

The AAR that I had in mind is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/487269/scenario-2-boomers-wh...

It seems that multiple subs are up for detection even though the Soviets have only 2 RCN aircraft (that is ok since US has only two subs). But US has only 1 RCN aircraft and seems to be trying to detect all Soviet subs in Turns 1 and 4.

I think the author of the AAR played it incorrectly. I posted a reply pointing that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.