Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Scenario M4, Templeton's Crossing, twice yesterday, commanding each nationality once, and the results were so uniformly one-sided that I think we must be missing something.

Japanese get to set up twelve hexes deep, start out ten points ahead, and have three B squads and two teams, plus two 10-1 leaders. They have the ability to 'teleport' by SSR using any 'infiltrate' order to pick up a hex full of Japanese and replace any of their 5 sighting markers with the stack, doesn't even activate the units !!

The board is covered with jungle, very few non-jungle hexes on the board.

Commonwealth are on the attack and get 3 leaders and twelve Anzac squads, must set up in the first two rows.

So, when I played, I set 'em up six rows from the Commonwealth board edge.

Donna's Anzacs approached slowly uphill through the jungle. I found two advance orders in hand, and decided to give the Anzacs a jolt, advanced adjacent, then eliminated a bunch of 'em through melee. Another Advance dound its way into my hand. Donna's troops advanced into melee with my Japanese, and we piled on the hex in our own turn, eliminating Templeton. Then a move order took everyone off the Commonwealth board edge except the spare leader, who teleported to near that board edge, and also exited, ending the game with a thumping Japanese win before Time Trigger 1.

Next game Donna set up her Japanese forces only four hexes from the board edge. I set up my Anzacs in a solid wall in front of them, two hexes deep. She moved adjacent, shrugged off my ineffective fire, and advanced into melee, eliminating two. Smokescreen appeared, nerfing any fire attacks the commonwealth might make. I doubled up on my squads between the Japanese and the board edge, but it didn't matter, she just advanced everyone horizonally, overstacking, eliminating another 2 units, then casually exiting for a huge win before time trigger 2.

So, I don't have any idea how to stop the Japanese, and cannot believe that this tactical plan did not come up in playtesting.

What have others done to stop the Japanese Jungle Steamroller in scenario M4, Templeton's crossing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Templeton falls in the jungle, does anybody hear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I should expand my question to ask for any tales of scenario M4.

How did it play out for anyone? Playtest stories ??

Thanks !

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my notes from the single time we played this one.

Quote:

Comments:
New Gunea BP play through
Current standing 3-2
Me: Japanese
Marc: Allies

First Game: Scenario M4
Using the special rule, I infiltrated a leader, squad and team right next to Aussie leader and squad and Advanced in. Got wiped out! had a single squad that did that and took out a squad. The Aussies gradually made it up the hill and eventually Advanced in for a huge melee. Three ambushes on both sides and I lost! With time ticking down, I was ahead and managed to exit my lone squad and won then with 6VP! Barely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good complete note, thanks Mark !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Good complete note, thanks Mark !

Well, I suppose we'll have to play it again. But not until we get that far in our WWII play through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.